Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23
I hope that there is some type of clause in his contract that deals with this. Melvin may want to get on the horn with Boras about Prince. I hope that no one else was involved.
Boy let's hope so.

This brings the quality of PED testing into question, among several other issues. Two thoughts:

First, the most likely: Braun really is on something. He wasn't caught until this year. Not in the minors or five seasons in the majors. If these tests take so long to catch somebody, how many guys are still using?

Second, there's the obvious (but slim) chance that Braun is being honest here. Let's hope this is the case.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have the 24-hour cursing thread back?

I hope so!

This is terrible news. I guess we should wait for the details to come out...but history hasn't been kind. This screws up next year (and years beyond that) and kills what we did this past year if it is all true. For Braun to be outspoken against all this...and then pull this (again if true) is just terrible. He's been my favorite player in the organization since the day we drafted him. He's smart, good with the media and fans, etc...I feel like I've been lied to. This feels horrible.

If true I also agree, give the MVP to Kemp. I don't want any of this cheating associated with the Brewers. Again if true and depending to the extent, I somewhat hope Ryan has played his last game with the Brewers. You owned the city. I've lost all faith in sports heroes.

I hope that there is some type of clause in his contract that deals with this. Melvin may want to get on the horn with Boras about Prince. I hope that no one else was involved.
Boy let's hope so.

This brings the quality of PED testing into question, among several other issues. Two thoughts:

First, the most likely: Braun really is on something. He wasn't caught until this year. Not in the minors or five seasons in the majors. If these tests take so long to catch somebody, how many guys are still using?

Second, there's the obvious (but slim) chance that Braun is being honest here. Let's hope this is the case.

Or, third, he had a lingering leg injury in July and decided he needed to take something extra to get himself back into shape.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm sure this is just standard operating procedure, but:

A spokesman for Braun issued a statement Saturday: "There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated."

Boy let's hope so.

There would also be a 3rd option where he took something while honeslty not knowing the effects; pretty farfetched though

So how do you get elevated testosterone?
The better question is how do you get synthetic testosterone into your body? It sounds like he tested at more than 4 times the average level and then subsequent tests revealed that the testosterone was synthetic. No OTC product on the market is proven to elevate testosterone and there is certainly no OTC product which provides synthetic testosterone. He would have to have been prescribed a product such as Androgel, and to legally be taking a synthetic hormone requires league approval before use. Needless to say, this doesn't look good for Braun or the Brewers.

to put it in the most simple terms: by taking steroids.
unless he has menopause.
well other things can cause elevated testosterone levels but yeah unless they had a bad baseline for him (people can have naturally high testosterone levels) its either a steroid or something that acts similar to a steroid.

He is so screwed, no matter if he did anything wrong or not. And there is no real system in place for him to vindicate himself. The allegation alone is enough to hamper his career significantly.

These tests are not 100% reliable. Nothing is perfect. This is not a CSI-type deal where they can say with any certainty exaclty what he took. My preliminary read on this is that Braun "failed" a T/E ratio test. When that happened, that sample was further tested with gas crhomatography, the results of which indicate that there is "artificial" or exogenous testosterone in his system. Assuming the test was properly done, retesting the same sample will yield the same "positive" result.

I'm guessing there is very little chance that Braun can exonerate himself is he is, in fact, "innocent" here. The very nature of disputing these things is heavily slanted against the athlete.

I, for one, don't believe Ryan was juicing or intentionally cheating. There is nothing in his past or anything we know about the guy to indicate that he would be. I could be terribly wrong about all of that. If I am wrong, even his apology won't repair him in my eyes. On the other hand, even if he wasn't doing anything intenionally wrong, he can, and probably will, still end up suspended and tainted. If that happens, and he is indeed truly innocent, I can't imagine how crushed he must be by all of this. There are few things worse in this world than being convicted for something you did not do, and having no practical recourse to address that wrong.

What kind of clause are we talking about? Does everyone want to release him now because of this? He'll sit his 50 games and everyone moves on, what else can you do?
If I suspected him of long term juicing, I'd certainly try to void the extension that he signed last summer. Which begs the question is the suspension paid or unpaid? This is legit, folks. They never would have come out with it if there was one thread of a credible explanation.

Jeez that sounds pretty damning; 4 times the normal level and synthetic in nature? Ouch.

We get to miss our #3 ane #4 hitter for the first 50 games next year; yay. Just start trading people and get it overwith; we aren't doing crap missing Braun for 1/3rd of the year.

That is maybe suppose to be in blue; not sure at this point

I am inclined to believe Braun, that either he accidently took something or that there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding the case that will come out to prove his innocence.

Some of the folks here, with all due respect, are jumping to some crazy conclusions.

Worst case scenario is he sits 50 games and we all move on from this.

I will admit it was tough sitting my 8 year old kid down and explaining all this to him so that he heard it from me first and not on the MLB Network.

The better question is how do you get synthetic testosterone into your body? It sounds like he tested at more than 4 times the average level and then subsequent tests revealed that the testosterone was synthetic. No OTC product on the market is proven to elevate testosterone and there is certainly no OTC product which provides synthetic testosterone. He would have to have been prescribed a product such as Androgel, and to legally be taking a synthetic hormone requires league approval before use. Needless to say, this doesn't look good for Braun or the Brewers.
Yeah. I want to believe him and give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to with those facts. And what I don't get is how do professional athletes who use their bodies to make millions of dollars, take stuff and not know how it will affect them? Or, knowing they'll be tested for it, figure out whether it will show up on the test?

Not knowing isn't grounds for an appeal, you have to prove the product was tampered with.

I can't help thinking Braun did this to rehab his leg injury to get back as soon as he could. Maybe he thought there was too much at stake and he didn't think of the consequences. This is going to fricking stay with him for the rest of his career. He will always be a doper now.

I am absolutely livid and I almost want to cancel my 20 game pack now. This guy is by far my favorite player, I have his jersey and I have his rookie cards and basically they're all tainted just like Braun!!!

Can there be an explanation for this?

What kind of clause are we talking about? Does everyone want to release him now because of this? He'll sit his 50 games and everyone moves on, what else can you do?

If he has been doing this for awhile, we're paying him a lot of money for being a cheater. If he did it once, sure you might be right. He is costing us next year though by his dumb actions (again...if it is all true...that goes with all my statements...but history hasn't been kind).

On a side note, I usually don't throw ESPN under the bus like a lot of folks, but tonight was kind of crap. The one Saturday that has NOTHING going on in sports (I know Indiana played a great game against Kentucky) since college football reguarl season started. And we get this? Now? 15 minutes or so before the Heisman starts? Just seems kind of as a ratings pull. It's all true that he failed a test, but they had two guys located somewhere to be interviewed on SportsCenter. This wasn't 'breaking news'. It was just news they decided to release at very clever time.

I am inclined to believe Braun, that either he accidently took something or that there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding the case that will come out to prove his innocence.

Worst case scenario is he sits 50 games and we all move on from this.

Even if Braun is innocent, I just don't see how he'll be able to show that this was accidental, etc. We've heard that defense so many times before, and I don't think it has ever worked.

Worst case scenario is that he sits 50 games and we don't move on from this. I'm not someone who tends to look up to athletes, nor am I someone who chastises athletes for using PED's. However, the media and fans tend to have long memories when it comes to this stuff.

For me, I think the best case scenario is that he took something while rehabbing, and only while rehabbing, admits he took something, etc.

to put it in the most simple terms: by taking steroids.
unless he has menopause.
well other things can cause elevated testosterone levels but yeah unless they had a bad baseline for him (people can have naturally high testosterone levels) its either a steroid or something that acts similar to a steroid.

well yea, he could have a thyroid or adrenal disorder or something (i was joking with the menopause obviously, none of those are likely)....but none of those things would have resulted in synthetic testosterone. that's the killer.

Archived