Brewer Fanatic

Grienke/Marcum extentions

Patrick425

A lot of the posts I read talk about if the Brewers do not make a big signing this year, they definitely need to extend Grienke and/or Marcum. However, I'm not sure how easy that is going to be. You have to think that both of them are looking at the contracts Buehrle and Wilson got (about $15 mil per year) and thinking they should get that as well. If the Brewers don't offer extentions to them that are close to those numbers I don't see them sticking around.

Wow, that Braun contract looks better and better all the time. What a relative steal that was.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Grienke should be easier to sign. He is aware of his issues, and knows he needs to be in a place thats comfortable to him with the least amount press. The Milwaukee media has been very good with leaving him alone, and letting him do his interviews on his own timeline. That doesn't mean Grienke will stay in Milwaukee, but that takes outabout 60% of the other teams. Now, add in the fact that the Brewers have been contenders will help getting him to stay here.

If they'd like to keep Grienke (or Marcum) they need to treat them like free agents right now and offer them legit money and do what ever else it is that they do for free agents to lure them in. Start playing the game now or there's no way they're back once all teams are bidding.

I would much rather sign Greinke to an extention(5 years $80M - pretty much the same deal that Wilson just signed), than to go out and give any of the remaining FA's a big deal. I think they have to focus on an extention with Greinkie, but pass on Marcum. I don't think it would be a good business decision to have that much $ tied up in 3 SP. I think they can go forward in 2012 with the rotation they have now and either allow Marcum and Wolf to walk at the end of the season, or trade one of them mid-season. They have to start to trust that some of these young SP will develop and could fill out the back 3 spots in the rotation behind Yo and Greinkie. I even think they could afford to deal one of Marcum, Wolf, or Narveson before the season starts, as I think they have 7 true options that could start the season in the rotation Yo, Greinkie, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson, Estrada, and Fiers. I also think Peralta should be ready to join the rotation by the all-star break, giving them 8 options over the course of the 2012 season. I know this is looking forward a little too far, but a 2013 rotation of Yo, Greinke, Peralta, Narveson, Estrada, Fiers doesn't sound too bad by me, and relatively inexpensive to be able to spend some more on offense. By 2013, maybe Bradley or Thornburg would be ready as well.

Depending on how the season plays out, if the Brewers are out of it by the trade deadline I wouldn't mind seeing them move Marcum. That's probably less likely now that Pujols is gone but St Louis has this way of playing well all the time. And Cincinnati may be a little better too.

The Brewers mentioned earlier in the offseason that they were going to look into extensions for Greinke, Marcum and Axford. They were probably waiting for the market for pitchers to be set. That's happening, and the Winter Meetings are over, so they'll probably sit down to discuss the extensions before too long.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Grienke should be easier to sign. He is aware of his issues, and knows he needs to be in a place thats comfortable to him with the least amount press. The Milwaukee media has been very good with leaving him alone, and letting him do his interviews on his own timeline. That doesn't mean Grienke will stay in Milwaukee, but that takes outabout 60% of the other teams. Now, add in the fact that the Brewers have been contenders will help getting him to stay here.
I personally feel that we as fans are overblowing this about Greinke. I am guilty of this as well but the more I think about it, the less I feel this would stand in the way of Greinke going to a NY or Boston.

I do think we will re-sign him but I don't think it will be because of his "issues."

One other thing to consider is the number of quality starting pitchers that are potential free agents next season. On top of Greinke and Marcum, as of now you have Cain, Hudson, Haren, Danks, Gavin Floyd, Cole Hamels, Brandon McCarthy, Jonathan Sanchez, Ervin Santana possibly, James Shields possibly, Francisco Liriano, De La Roas possibly, etc. Obviously some of them are better than others but it may help drive down the price of pitching.

On top of Greinke and Marcum, as of now you have Cain, Hudson, Haren, Danks, Gavin Floyd, Cole Hamels, Brandon McCarthy, Jonathan Sanchez, Ervin Santana possibly, James Shields possibly, Francisco Liriano, De La Roas possibly, etc. Obviously some of them are better than others but it may help drive down the price of pitching.
Not going to happen.

If anything Cain and Greinke are going to cost more than what C.J. Wilson signed this year. At a minimum you are looking at a contract for Greinke at 5-years and $80m. If Greinke hits free agency that number is only going to climb in the end if Greinke goes to free agency he will get something around 7 years and $135m.

Now Marcum you are looking at a contract at a minimum of what Buehrle got I would say something like 5-years and $75m. I believe that is about where Marcum will be looking to get and it is close to what the market would pay for him.

I would want neither Marcum or Greinke at those prices especially Greinke at a free agent price. The most I would go on Marcum is 3-years and $30m while I would go with the 5-years and $80m with Greinke and that would be it. Both Marcum and Greinke will get better deals than what the Brewers should even think about offering.

Marcum has said several times he wants to be in the Midwest. Greinke has shown every intention of being a FA. I would certainly not give either one of them a deal for more than 3 years and nowhere near $16M per. There's simply too much risk of injury, and Zach's ailment poses additional issues.

I highly doubt that Grienke's 'issues' will preclude him from signing with New York, Boston, etc. As we've seen money talks. He may crumble under the pressure of the contract/fans/media in one of those locales, but I don't think he would hesitate to sign a contract for many extra millions. It's actually pretty disconcerting that the Yankees and Red Sox have been so quiet this off-season, because the odds are high that they will buy whomever they want next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised if Greinke will see how the team does in 2012 before signing any extension. I think he'll want to protect himself in case the team implodes for some reason next year. He doesn't want to be caught in the same situation like he was in KC, where he stuck in a long term deal and no hope of winning.

If anything Cain and Greinke are going to cost more than what C.J.
Wilson signed this year. At a minimum you are looking at a contract for
Greinke at 5-years and $80m. If Greinke hits free agency that number
is only going to climb in the end if Greinke goes to free agency he will
get something around 7 years and $135m.

I didn't mean Cain or Greinke specifically. But in general, when there is a lot of one thing on the market, the prices tend to go down.

Anyway, I'd be fine giving Greinke 5 years. He will only be 28 when he hits free agency and 33 when the contract runs out. That's not a terrible age. Beside, he could always be traded after 3 years if the prospects start to turn out. 5 for $80 million, I think would be a good deal. Let Wolf go after the year. But this is also why I'd explore trading Marcum right now. See if you can't get a decent prospect for him right now.

Archived