Brewer Fanatic

What's your preferred 2012 lineup? (of players who will actually be on our team)

MVP2110

Why? So a worse hitter can lead off?

Casey McGehee OPS'd about .600 last year in the 5-spot and the team functioned just fine.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First lineup card of the year (sort of), and I'm guessing the left side is the current RHP starters.

http://mlb.socialhub.awarenessnetworks.com/main/content/?id=8655300367381813218&partnerId=aw-8655300367381813218-1052

(also, nice touch with Aoki).

Wow, I've heard all about the impeccable perfection that is a Jerry Narron lineup card, but now I get it.

And totally agree on writing out Aoki's name properly, that's just delicious icing on a lineup cake made of awesome.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yep, that will be the opening day lineup barring injuries. The only thing that wasn't set was Weeks and Hart, but when Weeks said he didn't like hitting 5th that pretty much locked up the lineup.

No one on this team likes batting 5th. I like the lineup although I would flip Lucroy and Gonzalez and I might put someone else in the two hole. Morgan batting second will mean a ton of bunts

With Hart out of the lineup Weeks may have to bat 5th whether he likes it or not.

Roenicke said the only way Weeks hits 5th is if Hart is out for an extended period of time. Longer than he is expected to be out for.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• 2 weeks later...

Vs Right-Handed Pitching:

1. Hart RF

2. Morgan CF

3. MVP! LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Weeks 2B

6. Gamel 1B

7. Lucroy C

8. Gonzalez SS

Vs Left-Handed Pitching

1. Hart RF

2. Lucroy C

3. MVP! LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Weeks 2B

6. Gamel 1B

7. Gomez CF

8. Gonzalez SS

If Hart is injured/can't start season, I replace Hart with Caleb Gindl and start him vs RHP, then my lineup would look like this:

1. Morgan CF

2. Lucroy C

3. MVP! LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Weeks 2B

6. Gamel 1B

7. Gindl RF

8. Gonzalez SS

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I like the idea of Gamel in the #2 spot to see fastballs ahead of Braun. I don't know if Roenicke would consider this but it would be interesting to see a lineup of:

1. Morgan CF

2. Gamel 1B

3. Braun LF

4. Weeks 2B

5. Ramirez 3B

6. Hart RF

7. Lucroy C

8. Gonzalez SS

That really lengthens the lineup to me. I know we bat the 2 lefties back to back but man that lineup looks good.

I must say that I like that lineup a lot too

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm starting to like the idea of Gamel hitting 5th. I think Gamel is going to hit well this year and having him 5th would be awesome. Might have to only be against RHP but could be a really nice bat to follow Ramirez.

I would like the idea of Gamel #2 much much better. His gap/HR power with Weeks OBP and speed would be awesome at the top of the lineup. Morgan is wasted at the top.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Just throwing it out there:

1. Weeks 2B

2. Gamel 1B

3. Braun LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Hart RF

6. Lucroy C

7. Gonzalez SS

8. Morgan CF

I like the idea of Nyjer batting 8th. I think he has the skill and talent to hit 8th and take his walks. Additionally, by hitting 8th he may be able to take advantage of his speed and steal some bases, something Roenicke limited him on in 2011 by batting him in front of Braun and Fielder.

1. Weeks 2B

2. Gamel 1B

3. Braun LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Hart RF

6. Lucroy C

7. Gonzalez SS

8. Morgan CF

I like the idea of Nyjer batting 8th. I think he has the skill and talent to hit 8th and take his walks. Additionally, by hitting 8th he may be able to take advantage of his speed and steal some bases, something Roenicke limited him on in 2011 by batting him in front of Braun and Fielder.

Well, if he gets on in the 8 spot, he won't be stealing with the pitcher up. He'll either be bunted over, or staying put to keep the pitcher from leading off.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Good point.

In my opinion though he would be more likely to steal in the 8 hole than in the 2 hole with Braun, Ramirez and Hart coming up. Having Morgan at the 8 hole would also give Rickie some more opportunities to drive in runs from the leadoff spot. Additionally, its not like we have a pitching staff full of Sheets-ian hitters so he might be given the green light a little more than we think. Just a thought.

1. Weeks 2B

2. Gamel 1B

3. Braun LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Hart RF

6. Lucroy C

7. Gonzalez SS

8. Morgan CF

Move Morgan up to 6th if you want to take advantage of his speed. He is a better hitter than either Lucroy or Gonzalez.

I blame Wang.

Well, here's what Roenicke is planning on going with for opening day vs. LHP Jaime Garcia

Weeks

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Hart

Gonzalez

Gamel

Lucroy

I don't mind seeing Gamel down in the lineup if for some reason Roenicke thinks it will help him break in. I'd like to see Lucroy up in the lineup though. I'm not quite sure why he thinks Gomez is a good #2 hitter.

Well, here's what Roenicke is planning on going with for opening day vs. LHP Jaime Garcia

Weeks

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Hart

Gonzalez

Gamel

Lucroy

My forehead hurts. I think my desk is broken.

I am not seeing where Gonzalez(.298/.409/.707 vs LHP) will be a better hitter than Gamel. Gomez is even worse though he had a decent year last year vs LHP. Hopefully we get some explanation about not wanting to put to much pressure on Gamel.

I blame Wang.

There is zero reason to not hit Corey Hart second vs LHP.

Zero. Zilch. None. Nada.

• 2 weeks later...

I stared at the batting order tonight and wondered where the hole was that caused Gomez to hit 2nd. I concluded that there wasn't one. Without going to an optimized lineup, either Gamel or Hart would work for me. The one who doesn't hit 2nd could hit fifth.

This was tonight's batting order.

1. Weeks
  2. Gomez
  3. Braun
  4. Ramirez
  5. Hart
  6. Gonzalez
  7. Gamel
  8. Lucroy
  9. Pitcher

How about something like this?

1. Weeks
  2. Gamel
  3. Braun
  4. Ramirez
  5. Hart
  6. Lucroy
  7. Gonzalez
  8. Pitcher
  9. Morgan-Gomez

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...
How about this for 1 game

Aoki

Weeks

Braun

Hart

Ramirez

Gamel

Gonzalez

Lucroy

You win the "closest thing to today's lineup" game.

Well, at least the Aoki then Weeks part. Makes more sense to me.

I like some of these lineup suggestions, especially since I'm not one that thinks of a lineup in a strictly 1-9 sense. Many people believe the #8 spot is where your worst hitter belongs. While we do have to contend with our pitcher in the 9th spot, to have a poor hitter in the 8th spot kills too many potential rallies. Do you want to wait until your best hitters come up to start a rally, or are you hoping the rally is started before your best hitters come up?

The idea of having Morgan lower in the lineup (even in the 8 spot) means you have a "leadoff" batter that can get rallies started in advance of your 1-3 hitters. It intrigues me. If he's leading off batting 8th, and the pitcher gets an out (hopefully moving the runner up), you've got two outs to work with, and your best pure hitters coming up.

Putting together a lineup right now is difficult because of the injuries we've sustained, but here's what I would like to see right now.

1. Morgan/Aoki

2. Lucroy C

3. Braun LF

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Hart RF

6. Weeks 2B

7. Green 1B

8. Izturis

9. pitcher

Basically, I'd like to see Weeks and Lucroy swapped. Weeks is struggling right now, and moving him down in the lineup might take some pressure off. Lucroy is one of our best pure hitters. He makes contact, and he gets on. He's at .313 currently with a .364 OBP. As I've stated previously, 7 of Braun's 9 home runs thus far have been solo shots. We need more base runners on ahead of Brauny, and Aoki and Lucroy should be able to do this.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived