Brewer Fanatic

What's your preferred 2012 lineup? (of players who will actually be on our team)

MVP2110
Actually he put up the best numbers in the 2 hole a couple years ago. Hart, that is. Also with Fielder gone, I'd prefer more of a prototypical leadoff guy just so you have Hart/Weeks power in a place to drive people in.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually he put up the best numbers in the 2 hole a couple years ago. Hart, that is. Also with Fielder gone, I'd prefer more of a prototypical leadoff guy just so you have Hart/Weeks power in a place to drive people in.

I was referring to Hart's career numbers (wOBA, OPS+), although he hasn't been THAT much better as a leadoff hitter. I was more having him leadoff because he has stated he prefers batting there and so does RR. We don't really have a prototypical leadoff guy on the team. Ideally, Aoki proves that he's good at getting on base and he bats leadoff, but until then I think RR will keep Morgan batting 2nd as a "get 'em over" hitter and that leaves Hart or Weeks hitting leadoff.

My ideal lineup would be after Braun's suspension(if he even has to serve it which is looking more and more suspect).

I think in the first 50 games, Aoki is going to prove to be a legitimate .300/.365 hitter who can steal some bases. If that's the case, I'd like to see Hart dealt. Though as that's unrealistic; here is my with and without Braun lineups;

LF-Aoki(I probably have more confidence than most that he's going to be an effective big league leadoff hitter. I think he's capable of a .365 OBP in the states. If you look at his numbers from Japan, he was incredibly effecient at taking a walk and getting on base. I think that translates well.

Plus, I think he's a GG defender.

LF-Aoki(LH'ed)

CF-Morgan(L)/Schafer(L)/Gomez

3B-Ramirez®

2B-Weeks®

2B-Gamel(L)

RF-Hart® Not just because you're a whiner about hitting 6th, I like Gamel behind Weeks to split up the Righties, and I think he adds OBP in front of Hart, and pop behind Weeks

C-Lurcoy®/Maldonado(should be 110-52 IMO, perhaps catch Greinke and Wolf to split up his starts).

SS-Gonzalez® Basically Betancourt at worse offensively and a huge upgrade defensively.

Once Braun comes back, as I've said, I'd prefer to see Hart moved IF Aoki performs as I expect he will. Perhaps for a team in the race desperate for a bat. Assuming that doesn't happen, I guess we have to go with;

1-Hart RF

2-Morgan/Gomez/Schafer CF

3-Braun LF

4-Ramirez 3B

5-Weeks 2B

6-Gamel 1B

7-Lucroy C

8-Gonzalez

I do think our bench looks a lot nicer.

Aoki

tyler Green

Brooks Conrad

Cesar Izturis

Martin Maldonado

Someone has to be the odd man out here though, that's the problem. I keep hearing about how people don't want to see Green "wasting" away in the big leagues. I've been one of his biggest fans for years, and we can start him in AAA, but he's not Ryan Braun. At some point, bring him up and let him contribute as a PH'er and spot starter. Though with Weeks and Ramirez, there's a good chance he'll be called upon for an extended stretch this year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I do think our bench looks a lot nicer.

Aoki

tyler Green

Brooks Conrad

Cesar Izturis

Martin Maldonado

Someone has to be the odd man out here though, that's the problem. I keep hearing about how people don't want to see Green "wasting" away in the big leagues. I've been one of his biggest fans for years, and we can start him in AAA, but he's not Ryan Braun. At some point, bring him up and let him contribute as a PH'er and spot starter. Though with Weeks and Ramirez, there's a good chance he'll be called upon for an extended stretch this year.

One of his biggest fans yet don't know his name?

Edit: Not trying to be a jerk by the way, just poking a little fun.

Hart sure seems like a waste of slugging if he's hitting lead-off. He's also not fast at all anymore. When Braun is around, whoever's in that 2 spot will thrive just like they have ever since Braun arrived and started hitting 3rd. I think it should be Gamel. It puts him in a great place to succeed.

1 Morgan
2 Gamel
3 Braun
4 Ramirez
5 Weeks
6 Hart
7 Gonzales
8 Lucroy
9 P

I don't love the idea of Morgan leading off, because I don't think he has or will have a good enough OBP... but I don't know who else would do well there. Weeks could go back, but he and Hart should probably bat lower so they can drive more runs in.

I don't love the idea of Morgan leading off, because I don't think he has or will have a good enough OBP... but I don't know who else would do well there. Weeks could go back, but he and Hart should probably bat lower so they can drive more runs in.
I see this sentiment a lot, can you expound on it? He has a career .363 OBP against RHP, it was .370 last season. Really, with Prince gone, no one on the team gets on base better vs RHP.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I forgot that he would probably only be used against RHP, and was looking at his overall OBP. I was coupling that with the thought that he probably had a career year this past year and would regress. An OBP of .363 is not bad at all and makes me feel a lot better about him leading off.

I have always been amazed at the 'best lineup' order projections say that 3rd is where you put one of your weaker hitters. Yet, for 100 years, your best batter gets to bat third, with the home run guy fourth. If it is reallly true, this 3rd aint too important, I would love to see Braun 2 and Gamel 3. But given history and what has been spoken by players, I suspect we will see:

Hart (as said, he likes leadoff and RR likes it)

Whatever correct handed batter is needed. So a Morgan/Gomez/Aoki juggle

Braun

Ramirez

Weeks (I think he is going to have a crazy good year)

Gamel - the new guy will not end up near the top and left handed here is good

(against this 'tough' leftie I guess Aoki starts in right, with Hart at first; or we are in the market for a 30 game bench rightie (first base / outfield backup))

(in fact, the more you think, late in the game, when the LOOGY comes on for Gamel, RR will want a right hand pinch hitter)

Gonzalez (I hope he makes cbs sportsline eat their words (see other thread that said re Yuni... out with the bad and Alex IN with the just as bad))

Lucroy (maybe he should get opportunity higher, but I think he and RR like him 8th)

My Opening Day lineup card (vs. Wainwright or Carpenter) would read....

Hart - 9
Morgan - 8
Weeks - 4
Braun - 7
Ramirez - 5
Gamel - 3
Lucroy - 2
Gonzalez - 6
Gallardo - 1

Didn't want to move Braun from the #3 spot, but I like the idea of having 3 guys that posted OBP's greater than .350 last season bat in front of him.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yep, sign me up for that lineup. If I could pick, Hart wouldn't lead off. But I think Corey's preference to lead off, combined with his performance in said role last season, means he's your leadoff man.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My opening day lineup would be

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Ramirez

Weeks

Gamel

Lucroy

Gonzalez

Gallardo

I don't want Braun moving out of that 3 hole. Your best hitter bats 3rd and that is what I go with. I also might switch Gamel and Lucroy.

We don't have a true every day leadoff hitter on the roster(closest we have is Morgan vs RHP) and we have a whole bunch of #5/#6 type hitters. Optimally Gamel will produce and we can use his bat to break up the RH hitters some. I personally don't like Hart leading off vs RHP, he has a career .319 OBP against them. He keeps a lot of his power against RHP but loses all of the OBP so he should probably be batting 5th or 6th against them.

vs RHP

Morgan

Weeks

Braun

Aramis

Gamel

Hart

Lucroy

Gonzalez

vs LHP

Hart

Weeks

Braun

Aramis

Gamel

Lucroy

Gonzalez

Gomez

I like:

Morgan

Weeks

Braun

Hart

Ramirez

Gamel

Gonzalez

Lucroy

P

With Hart entering his 30 year old season, I think we could see his best power season yet. I'd just much rather have a 30-35 HR bat hitting in the middle of the order than atop it. As for Hart batting ahead of ARam, I feel he's a better hitter than Ramirez at this point in their respective careers.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

vs. righties:

1. Weeks/Green, 2B

2. Morgan, CF

3. Hart/Aoki, RF

4. Braun, LF

5. Ramirez/Green, 3B

6. Gamel, 1B

7. Gonzalez, SS

8. Lucroy/Kottaras, C

vs. lefties:

1. Weeks, 2B

2. Aoki/Gomez, CF

3. Hart/Gamel, 1B

4. Braun, LF

5. Ramirez, 3B

6. Lucroy, C

7. Gonzalez/PTBNL, SS

8. Gomez/Hart, RF

note: batting order only applies to 1st choice players at each position

You know, these lineups look pretty dang good if guys can put it together this year. I know that's always a big if, but I really do like what I'm seeing. I also like the flexability there will be as well.

The rumor that the offense is going to be horrible because Fielder is gone are just complete exaggerations. All I've heard all off season is how the Brewers are the one team that is going to fall apart and I think it is because the TV analysts just haven't looked at the team.

I like Ennders lineups, but would tweak them just a little.....I like Lucroy batting next to the pitcher. He seems to do well without protection. I also like Gomez batting 9th, he becomes the lead off hitter we wish he was without that initial at bat.

vs RHP

8 Morgan

4 Weeks

7 Braun

5 Aramis

3 Gamel

9 Hart

6 Gonzalez

2 Lucroy

1 Pitcher

vs LHP

9 Hart

4 Weeks

7 Braun

5 Aramis

3 Gamel

6 Gonzalez

2 Lucroy

1 Pitcher

8 Gomez

I've been waiting on news of Braun to post in this thread but I've got the urge tonight so here it goes. I think that Aoki will end up hitting really well and split time with Morgan. We'll take a step back on defense but Morgan will get his starts and come in as a defensive replacement.

Aoki / Morgan

Hart

Weeks

Braun

Ramirez

Gamel

LuCroy

Gonzales

Pitcher

Without Braun:

Aoki

Hart

Weeks

Ramirez

Gamel

LuCroy

Morgan

Gonzales

Pitcher

You can switch Morgan and Aoki in the non-Braun lineup.

Agree with others that with Braun this lineup could still be near the top of the league.

vs RHP

Morgan

Weeks

Braun

Hart

Gamel

Ramirez

Lucroy

Gonzalez

vs LHP

Hart

Weeks

Braun

Ramirez

Gamel

Lucroy

Gonzalez

Gomez

Of course this is impossible because the batting order slot is determined by position in RRR's head, so it would not be possible to have the RFer hitting 4th one day and then go totally crazy by having the 3B hit 4th the next day. vs LHP there is a pretty tough top of the order but also a pretty bad black hole at the bottom.

I also think Hart will have his best year, lead the team in HRs and approach 40. I don't want to ever see him batting below 4.

I don't mind letting the pitcher hit before Gomez just because I hate when the pitcher bunts Gomez to 2nd when should just steal the base on his own. RRR could never resist using a pitcher to bunt no matter who is on first so letting Gomez hit 9th won't allow him to constantly screw that up.

In reality though, we will see Hart locked into the #1 spot every day and Braun in the #3 spot (whenever he plays) no matter what. Then, Ramirez and Weeks will be locked into the 4/5 spots. Wherever they are on opening day they are staying there the whole season, locked in, no matter what.

This raises the important question of the #2 spot. Putting Morgan/Aoki there against RHP should be fine and Gamel is a "rookie" so he needs to hit at the bottom of the order, forget about him batting 2nd.

But against lefties I'm not sure what RRR will do. Lucroy might not be a bad option but he is the catcher so he has to bat 8th. that leaves the scary options of Gomez or Gonzalez hitting 2, which I think we will see on the 3rd game of the season vs Jamie Garcia.

As brought up by RightFieldCoder in another thread I really don't wanna see a lineup of like the one below on opening day. However I Think this is totally realistic to see.(If Braun is suspended)

RF Hart

CF Morgan

2B Weeks

3B Ramirez

SS Gonzalez

LF Aoki

1B Gamel

C LuCroy

He prefers center fielder Nyjer Morgan in the two-hole because it opens opportunities for bunting.

Wonderful. I really wish the manager would get with the times and realize the talent he has on the roster.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I cringed when I read that, too. There's a great quote in Moneyball (the movie) about bunting... I thought I'd be able to find it online, but no dice. Basically, Beane says he doesn't want his team bunting anymore, and that they should be happy any time an opponent does -- 'they're giving you an out -- take it!'
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't recall him sac bunting much but that may be my bad recollection because I really want to like him. Maybe it isn't something to worry much about. That is the second time I have cringed at how he is thinking and we are not even to position players reporting.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived