Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/brewers-seek-middle-infielder.html

The Brewers are looking for a middle infielder, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney tweets. The club aims to add insurance behind starters Rickie Weeks and Alex Gonzalez.

Elliot Johnson, Chris Nelson, Eric Young Jr., Emmanuel Burriss, Luis Valbuena, Donnie Murphy, Robert Andino and Brent Lillibridge are out of options and could be available in trades later by the end of the month

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/brewers-seek-middle-infielder.html

The Brewers are looking for a middle infielder, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney tweets. The club aims to add insurance behind starters Rickie Weeks and Alex Gonzalez.

Elliot Johnson, Chris Nelson, Eric Young Jr., Emmanuel Burriss, Luis Valbuena, Donnie Murphy, Robert Andino and Brent Lillibridge are out of options and could be available in trades later by the end of the month

I wonder if the team is concerned about izturis. Anyone know how he's looked?

I wonder if the team is concerned about izturis. Anyone know how he's looked?

In general, pretty brutal. He does make an occasional good play in the field but if Gonzalez is hurt for an extended period of time I would think Melvin would trade for SS.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'd take Andino but I'm pretty sure the Orioles will hold onto him with Brian Roberts' health being a big question mark for the entire season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hind sight is 20-20, but I do wish we would have spent the 1.5M on Keppinger. He would look good as backup middle infield right now.

i might be wrong, but I don't think anyone feels Keppinger is, defensively, a legit SS. I don't think he's played there for more than a handful of games since 2008 - and he was pretty bad, if I recall (as a shortstop).

I actually like Keppinger, but we have to have a guy who can step in for an extended period if something happens to Gonzalez.

Perhaps I'm wrong about Keppinger - I just seem to remember him being bad at SS several years ago - and that's why he's strictly a 2B type now.

Archived