Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If all it really took was a closer to get Jed Lawrie and we happened to have two, I certainly feel like we missed out pretty big on that one.
No way in heck I would have traded Axford or Krod for Lawrie. Without both of them our bullpen is shot (As it stands right now)

If all it really took was a closer to get Jed Lawrie and we happened to have two, I certainly feel like we missed out pretty big on that one.
I highly doubt it K-rod that the Red Sox would have wanted since they could have just pursued him in FA before he accepted arbitration. If they wanted a closer we werent a great match because there is no way we are trading Axford while he is cheap and effective for a 28 SS with very little major league success who is coming off a bad year.

I am so happy that we do not have Yuni anymore, I will be nice to have a good fielding ss for once.
I hate to temper your joy, but there isn't a backup guy yet. I'm not assuming until someone else is signed for that role.

Incidentally, Alex will wear uniform no. 11, leaving Mike Rivera (if he makes the big club) to find something new.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 months later...
What an immensely underrated signing. Watching this guy today at SS and knowing with 100% confidence that he's making plays look routine that Betancourt doesn't get a glove on makes me giddy. We're not talking errors by Yuni here, these are balls that would have found their way into the outfield and gone down as hits. He's going to save quite a few baserunners for our pitchers.

I'm a fan of Gonzalez, but I hope people temper their expectations here. He is what he is and there will be plenty of times when he is very frustrating with the bat. I love his glove, though.

Exactly.... I called him the YuniB with a glove...

Alex Gonzalez is the most minimal of upgrades from Yuni. He's 5 years older and strikes out twice as much. He ranked 300th in the league in K/BB ratio last year (out of 306). Obviously his defense is an upgrade, but even hitting 8th in the lineup this year I'm willing to bet we'll be reading a few Yuni comparisons in the IGT in regards to his "offense".

Offensively, I expect him to put up stats like Jose K did in 2000 (prior to the power spike and absolutely ridiculous K totals)- .244/.315/.372 with 11 homers and 125 K's. Defensively, he should be an improvement, but I'm not expecting gold glove caliber defense. In all, I don't expect much more than a slight upgrade over Yuni. I hope that I'm wrong.

In all, I don't expect much more than a slight upgrade over Yuni. I hope that I'm wrong.

I think this is a good approach for setting expectations. Although I do think the glove alone will make him at least feel like a massive upgrade from Yuni.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Alex Gonzalez is the most minimal of upgrades from Yuni. He's 5 years older and strikes out twice as much. He ranked 300th in the league in K/BB ratio last year (out of 306). Obviously his defense is an upgrade, but even hitting 8th in the lineup this year I'm willing to bet we'll be reading a few Yuni comparisons in the IGT in regards to his "offense".

I'd bet the house on Lucroy batting 8th this year, because Roenicke likes him there. So far this spring, Gonzalez has spent a lot of time in the 5 hole, which is probably where he'll be if Hart is out to start the season (if Gamel keeps mashing, he may convince Roenicke to bat him 5th, but I don't think Roenicke wants to put a "rookie" there). I think Roenicke views Gonzalez much like he viewed Yuni in the lineup last year, so he'll be in the 6 or 7 hole when everyone's healthy.

I'm glad to have a good defender at SS, but you're right that many will get very frustrated with Gonzalez's bat throughout the season, especially those who like OBP.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't know what the point would be to complain about his offense. Everyone knew going in that isn't why we got him. Knowing that it seems pointless to complain about it.

It may hurt but I think not having two total black holes will alleviate the frustration somewhat.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Honestly, I think his perception by the average fan will end up being significantly higher than Yuni.

Even Yuni with his once a week highlight defensively seemed to fool people of his defense. I can't explain how many times I would be in a discussion and someone would defend his defense based on that fact that he made a great play... I think gonzo will make many more of these and provide above average defense the rest of the time.

Offensively people are in love with HR. if gonzo's mid teens power in ATL translates to 20+ in miller park, people will overlook the high k numbers. Additionally if Lucroy hits like he believes he is capable of that allows gonzo to hit 8th and expectations for that spot are generally low to begin with.

Even if his actual production is only a slight improvement over Yuni 2011, I think perception will be of a major upgrade.

RRR has pretty much already said Gonzalez will hit 7th and Luc 8th. I wouldn't expect that to change. He loves Luc in the 8 spot

I have seen that too. If Hart misses time, and Luc continues to develop into a hitter with great contact and strong OBP tools he showed in the minors I can't see him never moving up the lineup.

Spring stats should always be taken with a grain of salt, but I do think Lucroy has the skill set to develop into a more influential bat in the order. If and when that happens I think he forces his way out of the 8th spot in one way or another.

Archived