Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why in the world did we give him $4.25 million when he made $2.5 million last year? He didn't deserve that big of a raise. And for those who say we should've gotten Barmes, he was off the table too soon. We were waiting out Reyes and Rollins at the time. If he was still out there I have no doubt he would've been signed over Gonzalez.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Much rather pay him 4.25 than Yuni 2... which (sadly) was the alternative this late in the game.

Barmes must be thinking he could've made a lot more.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Wow. Way too much money for this guy. The Brewers seem to be cornering the market on thirty-something free agents that no one else really wants. We are looking at upwards of 30 million for Ramirez, Gonzalez and Rodriguez. Terrible.
For 2012 that isn't really the case; 4.25 for Gonzalez, $6 for Ramirez and probably a max of $13 for Krod; so while that is still a lot it isn't upwards of $30 Milliom

That being said I have no idea why he got a $2M raise this year; seems like an overpay to me. However on a 1/2 year deal a million or so overpay isn't a huge deal

The 2 free agents ranked right above and below him made $3M and $4M. Seems like we slightly overpaid, not a big deal, but the option for next year sucks because it is almost a guarantee.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

We're Milwaukee. We need to overpay to get people here. We're not going to get people here to enjoy the weather, nightlife, or winning tradition. This is why the emptiness of the minors scares people around here.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If bench players are getting $3M/year (JHJ), I'm not so sure how much of this is overpaying...

We're Milwaukee. We need to overpay to get people here.

I don't see too many places getting a discount because of the nightlife. All things being equal, some players will pick Florida or NY or CA over Milwaukee, while others might avoid them like the plague. 99% of the time, it comes down to contract plain and simple.

If bench players are getting $3M/year (JHJ), I'm not so sure how much of this is overpaying...

We're Milwaukee. We need to overpay to get people here.

I don't see too many places getting a discount because of the nightlife. All things being equal, some players will pick Florida or NY or CA over Milwaukee, while others might avoid them like the plague. 99% of the time, it comes down to contract plain and simple.

But that's the point. If the contract is equal, they are generally more likely to choose other destinations. Those locations aren't necessarily getting a discount, but Milwaukee needs to pay more to attract a player.

Last night a few of my friends & cousins said "for the money they are paying Aramis, Gonzalez, and K-Rod they could have signed Prince!"

Of course the point is not wanting to pay Prince $20 million a year for 8-10 years, but beyond that:

Are Ramirez/Gonzalez, K-Rod & Gamel better for the Brewers than McGehee/Yuni B, Kameron Loe & Prince?

Yep they sure are, don't ya think?!

This year was a musical chairs scenario with SS's, there were a bunch of teams out there looking for upgrades and very few upgrades available. The Brewers didn't want to be stuck empty handed when the music stopped so they slightly overpaid for Gonzalez. I though Gonzalez would have gotten a, basically, 2 year 7.5 million dollar deal.

So yeah the Brewers did overpay by .75 million in my mind, but it means when the music stops they won't be stuck looking at Yuni as the best available option at SS. Plus if the Brewers can pull down a trade for a decent SS this season they could bench Gonzalez and potentially not have him for next season.

Those locations aren't necessarily getting a discount, but Milwaukee needs to pay more to attract a player.

There are a small sample of players that pick location based on city or chance to win a WS. 99% of the time, everyone has to "pay more" to attract a player, because 99% of the time, players take the biggest contract period.

My guess was $3.5MM, and they were a bit over that. The problem is, you pretty much had to either go after him or give a ton of money to Furcal (I'm guessing we'd have had to go a bit higher than what the Cards gave) or Rollins - unless you wanted Yuni. Gonzalez' agent knew he had us where he wanted us and squeezed out extra cash.

Jed Lawrie
The Astros gave up their closer for him (they also got back a potential back of the rotation starter). We would have had to give up something decent for the guy. Gonzalez cost nothing but money. I would have liked Lawrie - just don't know what it would have taken to get him.

Archived