Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan
Would it be annoying to point out that the #2 and #3 fielding SS last year were JJ and Alcides? Gonzalez was middle of the pack. It's probably a 1 win upgrade. I'm good with it, but I'm not excited.
Never will be annoyed with the Alcides trade. He helped us get a very good starting pitcher and he is all-glove player. JJ on the other hand was hard to lose.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm relieved Yuni won't be our starting SS next year, but I can't say I'd cry if he was brought back as a backup. I think he's proven that he can hit the ball when he's put into a situation where a pitcher is forced to throw strikes which could come in handy in some late inning situation. With the caveat that I think a patient left-handed power source off the bench is essential, I'd much rather have Yuniesky Betancourt as the 25th man than somebody like Josh Wilson. Even if it cost a few hundred thousand more. Guys like Yuni are easily exposed when thrown out there everyday but if deployed correctly as a pinch hitter you could do much worse for a 25th man.

This is working off the assumption that a lot of the better potential SS/2B backup options like Nick Punto and Ryan Theriot could probably find jobs with better playing time. If they are interested, by all means, go for them. But I'd even be willing to pay Yuni B in the million dollar range to play the Josh Wilson role on the team. I mean, I'd take Yuni over Edwin Maysonet. Maysonet has a career .695 OPS in AAA while Yuni has a .683 OPS in the majors. That's worth a few hundred thousand dollars and allowing somebody like Eric Farris to continue developing in the minors.

I cannot imagine a worse possible backup than Yuniesky Betancourt. First of all, you want your backup infielder to be very good or at least solid defensively. Yuni B is a horrible fielder. 2nd, you want a backup who can pinch hit, get on base, work a pitch count. You do not want Yuni B pinch hitting, swinging at the first pitch and waddling down the base path after hitting a pop-up

Yuni B is the Anti-Craig Counsell

Would it be annoying to point out that the #2 and #3 fielding SS last year were JJ and Alcides? Gonzalez was middle of the pack. It's probably a 1 win upgrade. I'm good with it, but I'm not excited.

Most Brave fans who watched him last year though say he's a much better fielder than his last year UZR would indicate. UZR says he was a very good fielder from 2006 until 2010.

I guess I'm having a hard time trusting UZR lately anyway ever since it indicated that Casey McGehee was a very good fielder in 2011.

I'm just saying that I'd be fine with Yuni coming up to the plate in a situation in the 7th where a pitcher is forced to throw strikes better than somebody like Edwin Maysonet. Defensively, Rickie Weeks is probably the bigger injury risk in the middle infield where if Yuni had to fill in his defensive shortcomings aren't as glaring.

We definitely need better first and second options off the bench for pinch hitting but I'd tend to think they would come from corner positions. I'd even take Betancourt over a Ronny Cedeno. Cedeno's bat is weaker than Chad Moeller's was. When we've already got solid defense up the middle with Gonzalez and Weeks, we don't necessarily need a defensive replacement. And as poor as Yuni if offensively, he's not all that bad when you look at other 25th men.

And as poor as Yuni if offensively, he's not all that bad when you look at other 25th men.
Respectfully, I disagree, for the reasons I already gave. I think Yuni B would be pretty much useless as a 25th man. It'd be better to bring Counsell back, seriously, or Josh Wilson. At least they can play defense

The Truth wrote:

Respectfully, I disagree, for the reasons I already gave. I think Yuni B would be pretty much useless as a 25th man. It'd be better to bring Counsell back, seriously, or Josh Wilson. At least they can play defense
I'm pretty sure the Counsell ship has sailed. Like I said, I don't think defense necessarily needs to be a priority for the backup SS/2B when there is already above average defense starting. If Yuni B was the starting SS, I can see where it would be a priority. With a Gonzalez/Weeks middle infield I think the SS/2B backup will be deployed more as a pinch hitter. And it seems pretty asinine to think Yuni has much value offensively, but when you look at guys like Josh Wilson and Ronny Cedeno, the offensive bar is rather low.

I'd love to hear of some better options, like I mentioned Punto and Theriot. But I just don't see much use for a defensive backup SS/2B. Presumably, the backup won't be able to hit, and they won't be needed all that often for defensive duty. At the very least, arguing over the 25th man is usually a sign of a strong team. Problem is, the Crew needs to fill in 23rd and 24th before worrying about 25.

Nick Punto and Ryan Theriot are way better options

You need solid defense from the backup middle infielder, because Rickie Weeks has been injured and missed significant time in every season of his career except one. And Gonzalez is 35 years old and will need a game off a week or so...

As pleased as I am at the prospect of adequate defense at SS in 2012, I don't think I want Sea Bass fishy faces to become the new beast mode.

I got sick of Beast Mode in a hurry. I'd welcome Sea Bass-mode!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mark Kotsay made a nice back-up player for late inning pitch hitting when the pitcher had to throw strikes. He started in CF during the post season.

Do not give the manager a dangerous toy to play with. He's liable to cause someone to poke their own eye out.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Braves announcer Jim Powell with some extremely effusive comments about Gonzalez this morning on Twitter.

Best defensive SS I've ever watched on a daily basis. Easily. @BrewCrewTalk @Jim_Powell What is your opinion of the Brewers new shortstop?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Most Brave fans who watched him last year though say he's a much better fielder than his last year UZR would indicate. UZR says he was a very good fielder from 2006 until 2010.

I guess I'm having a hard time trusting UZR lately anyway ever since it indicated that Casey McGehee was a very good fielder in 2011.
I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, one year of UZR tells you very little. It's as accurate at representing a player's defensive talent as about 300 AB worth of offensive statistics. It's not a trend.

Average the last 3-4 years of UZR and adjust a bit for age. Gonzalez is still most likely an above average defender and his stick is comparable to Yuni's. Although unexciting, he is a clear upgrade.

rluzinski wrote:

I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, one year of UZR tells you very little. It's as accurate at representing a player's defensive talent as about 300 AB worth of offensive statistics. It's not a trend.

Average the last 3-4 years of UZR and adjust a bit for age. Gonzalez is still most likely an above average defender and his stick is comparable to Yuni's. Although unexciting, he is a clear upgrade.

Good point. Sorry I missed it the first million times you made it. Got it

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

In reference (literally) to Jim Powell's reference that Alex Gonzalez is the best defensive shortstop he's seen on a daily basis, I give you this...Jim covered the Twins from 1993-1994, your Milwaukee Brewers from 1996-2008 and the Atlanta Braves from 2009-2011. Debate away...

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Age

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">G

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">GS

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">CG

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Inn

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Ch

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">PO

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">A

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">E

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">DP

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Fld%

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Rtot

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">Rtot/yr

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">RF/9

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">RF/G

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:#AA0000">PB

Twins

color:blue">Jeff

Reboulet

SS-3B-2B-CF-LF

color:blue">Denny

Hocking

SS-2B

color:blue">Scott

Leius

SS

color:blue">Pat Meares

SS

color:blue">

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

color:#AA0000">Age

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

color:#AA0000">G

color:#AA0000">GS

color:#AA0000">CG

color:#AA0000">Inn

color:#AA0000">Ch

color:#AA0000">PO

color:#AA0000">A

color:#AA0000">E

color:#AA0000">DP

color:#AA0000">Fld%

color:#AA0000">Rtot

color:#AA0000">Rtot/yr

color:#AA0000">RF/9

color:#AA0000">RF/G

color:#AA0000">Pos. Summary

Twins

rluzinski wrote:

Good point. Sorry I missed it the first million times you made it. Got it

Didn't mean to be condescending. It's just frustrating when a metric is criticized because of a misconception or misapplication (I'm referring to another poster's comment).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nice bit about Gonzalez at Disciples of Uecker:

http://disciplesofuecker....wers-sign-alex-gonzalez/

Notes how Sea Bass should hit better in Milwaukee, as Turner Field suppresses right handed pull hitters like Gonzalez.

Basically says we added the best remaining SS at a (we assume) reasonable price.

So the Fielding Bible said Gonzalez was the 3rd best defensive SS in baseball last year behind only Tulo and Brendan Ryan. That has to mean something right? Defensive metrics have varied quite a bit but a poll of 10 experts on these matters putting Gonz at #3 carries some weight with me. Gonz was a close 3rd behind Ryan but way behind Tulo. Gonz was ranked just ahead of Alcides Escobar

Thoughts? The Brewers put up an awful showing; Braun was rated the 10th best RF, Grienke the 7th best pitcher, Lucroy, Narveson, and Marcum also got votes. It is pretty telling that the Brewers did not have a single position player ranked higher than 10th; thats how bad our defense was.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

So the Fielding Bible said Gonzalez was the 3rd best defensive SS in baseball last year behind only Tulo and Brendan Ryan. That has to mean something right? Defensive metrics have varied quite a bit but a poll of 10 experts on these matters putting Gonz at #3 carries some weight with me. Gonz was a close 3rd behind Ryan but way behind Tulo. Gonz was ranked just ahead of Alcides Escobar

Thoughts? The Brewers put up an awful showing; Braun was rated the 10th best RF, Grienke the 7th best pitcher, Lucroy, Narveson, and Marcum also got votes. It is pretty telling that the Brewers did not have a single position player ranked higher than 10th; thats how bad our defense was.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

And Braun at 10 strikes me as rather high. It was the worst defensive team the Brewers have ever fielded. The worst I can remember anyway. Not a plus defender anywhere except P and CF.

Braves announcer Jim Powell with some extremely effusive comments about Gonzalez this morning on Twitter.

Best defensive SS I've ever watched on a daily basis. Easily. @BrewCrewTalk @Jim_Powell What is your opinion of the Brewers new shortstop?

Good catch, Invader & thanks for sharing. Gonzalez has been one of the most overlooked SS defenders in MLB for basically his whole career. I'm very happy the Brewers have so clearly improved at SS for next season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How come we haven't heard any financial terms to the deal? Seems kinda weird that everyone else who is signing has a reported cost to their deal except for Gonzalez.

They cannot officially announce the signing until the player takes a physical, and Gonzalez is due to arrive from Venezuela on Monday. It will be announced on Monday

The signing was announced Monday, but the financials weren't announced. What's up?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived