Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan

The dollar amount on the contract will be the largest determinant as to whether this is a good deal or not. The further below $3 mil. it is, the more I suspect I will like having Gonzalez play SS. I think he'll probably come pretty close to replacement level play at SS, but for much cheaper than Yuni B. last season.

Not a great option with the bat, but he's at least a defensive upgrade at a position where the Brewers have an absolute need. (As McCalvy noted in his blog, the Brewers still have to get a backup SS.)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wonder if the team will try and add a veteran middle infielder - a Nick Punto-type. Guys like Alex Cora, Omar Vizquel, or Jack Wilson wouldn't be bad.

That assumes we go with Gamel/Green/McGehee at 1B/3B. We'll need someone to back up SS - probably not wise to start Gonzalez 150 games. Give him a weekly rest.

I wouldn't mind adding a young SS instead of a veteran. A guy with a good glove who can handle himself around the infield well. It's a risk, but maybe they mature into a starter. Justin Sellers of the Dodgers was one guy I saw last year that I liked. Probably doesn't project at more than a utility guy, but it would be nice to try someone like that - a player with potential upside.

I still think McGehee should be let loose. I'd rather get a 1B/3B who could mash lefties with a little more certainty. Of course, that's easier said than done.

If we could somehow get Gonzalez to hit closer to 2010 than 2011 than this would be a pretty decent offensive upgrade as well. A 700 OPS and/or an OBP atleast somewhere close to .300 would be a massive upgrade over Yuni; not even including defense.

My guess is around $2.5 for Year #1 and $3 for year #2 if he gets to a certain # of at bats

I personally am a big fan of this signing. Him and Furcal are both way better than Yuni. And Gonzalez should be cheaper than Furcal by a decent margin which should allow us to continue spending. Fill in the bench spots and the bullpen

Its irrational; but this article/video make me excited. I make no bones about having strongly disliked having Yuni at short. I'm so happy for a change, even if it is not a 100% fix for our SS issues. The reality is we put ourselves in this position when we decided to trade for Greinke last offseason....I wouldn't change that decision even if it meant Yuni last year and a slightly better patch this year.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110313&content_id=16931158&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

This is the glory of having a low bar to clear. In Yuni's case, the bar was buried several feet underground. Gonzalez figures to be pretty bad, a guy we'll happily kiss off in a year or two -- and he's almost certain to be a measurable improvement over Yuni. Marginal, but easy, happiness.

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate that Doug Melvin isn't an idiot. The Brewers did, in fact, understand Yuni's shortcomings.

Defensive stats are tough (UZR, dWAR), but most people who use them will agree it's best to look at several seasons as a true gauge of a guy's ability.

Yuni dWAR (baseball reference)

2011: 0.5

2010: -0.2

2009: -0.8

Yuni UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -6.9

2010: -9.5

2009: -16.7

Gonzalez dWAR

2011: 1.1

2010: 0.7

2009: 0.1

Gonzalez UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -0.3

2010: 5.5

2009: 7.7

I think Gonzalez will be a pretty good upgrade defensively. We're not talking Ozzie Smith upgrade, but most any thing is better than Yuni. And if Gonzalez and rebound a bit with the bat - all the better.

At 35 I'm not so confident about a "rebound with the bat". Also the drop off at UZR as he ages is a bit concerning.

UZR doesn't coincide with Rdrs which rated him as the 2nd best defensive SS a year ago.

Brendan Ryan = +18
Alex Gonzalez = +15
Elvis Andrus = +13
Clint Barmes = +12
Troy Tulowitzski = +11
Ronny Cedeno = +8
Alexei Ramirez = +7
Alcides Escobar = +5
Yunel Escobar = +5
JJ Hardy = +3
Marco Scutaro = +1
Jhonny Peralta = 0
Erick Aybar = 0
Jimmy Rollins = -2
Ian Desmond = -2
Rafael Furcal = -4
Yuniesky Betancourt = -6
Cliff Pennington = -7
Jason Bartlett = -8
Jose Reyes = -11
Starlin Castro = -16
Derek Jeter = -18
@WiscoSportsNut

This is the glory of having a low bar to clear. In Yuni's case, the bar was buried several feet underground. Gonzalez figures to be pretty bad, a guy we'll happily kiss off in a year or two -- and he's almost certain to be a measurable improvement over Yuni. Marginal, but easy, happiness.

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate that Doug Melvin isn't an idiot. The Brewers did, in fact, understand Yuni's shortcomings.

He had me worried that he was bringing yuni back. Thank god it was a bluff and that.

Side note: my iPad changes "yuni" to "yuck". What can't these things do?

Side note: my iPad changes "yuni" to "yuck". What can't these things do?
Oh boy. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Make...Mediocre wisecrack.

I don't see why we shouldn't be excited about this. If we peg Yuni at -.5 WAR and Gonzo at 2 WAR, that's a 2.5 WAR improvement. That would be like signing Pujols to replace Fielder. So really, we just signed Pujols to a 1-2 year deal worth about $3 million dollars. Since Pujols is worth 9 WAR, and our deal is like signing Pujols, the Brewers just bought 9 WAR on the FA market for ~$2.5 million. That's like $275,000 per WAR.

Thus, Alex Gonzalez may be the greatest signing the Brewers have ever made. Can we start the fan club yet?

I mildly dislike that I'm so relieved at the prospect of adequate defense. May our new shortstop overlord stay healthy and inspire less Brewerfan ire than his predecessor did.

So, I googled sea-bass-alex-gonzalez to find out what the Sea Bass thing on his Baseball Reference page was about:

Part-time Red Alex Gonzalez has been called Sea Bass by his teammates

since the days that he played with the Florida Marlins. This is

because…well… he looks like a fish:

http://redreporter.wikidot.com/local--files/sea-bass/SeabassPhoto http://redreporter.wikidot.com/local--files/sea-bass/lee_gonzalez_getty_span.184.jpg

You may not see much mention of Sea Bass on Red Reporter, but that's

mainly because in two seasons with the Reds, Gonzalez has played a total

of 110 games and none since 2007.

(source)

As pleased as I am at the prospect of adequate defense at SS in 2012, I don't think I want Sea Bass fishy faces to become the new beast mode.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Even though Gonzalez hits for an average similar to Yuni, are his outs "productive" outs? I couldn't stand watching Yuni pop out to the infield or in foul territory on a consistent basis.
Gonzalez really isn't much better of a hitter than Yuni, he is a free swinger who doesn't walk much ... he does have more power than Yuni. The difference is that he is a much better fielder than Yuni

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Even though Gonzalez hits for an average similar to Yuni, are his outs "productive" outs? I couldn't stand watching Yuni pop out to the infield or in foul territory on a consistent basis.

Gonzalez actually had 4 sacrifices last year. That means he can bunt, which Yuni didn't seem to know how to do. RRR must be drooling at more sac bunts next year.

The good news is that Gonzalez only had 50-some RBI last year, unlike th 78 RBI Yuni had in 2010, so RRR won't be tempted to bat him 6th based on a stat that is comletely and arbitrarily based on where you bat in the lineup.

Actually I think the good news is that Gonzalez had more HR's than Yuni B last season, which to Doug Melvin equates to being a "better" player. (not sure whether to put that in Blues or not...)

Robin19[/b]]Yuni isn't gone yet. He said he's willing to play 2B. We still need a utility IF. I won't dance until Yuni has signed with a different team.

Yeah, that exact thought occurred to me as well.

Archived