Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign SS Alex Gonzalez (one year, plus vesting option)

molitor fan
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sold that this guy is any better than Yuni, unless you are a stathead.
Begin your search of the Internet and find one "expert" who doesn't consider Gonzalez a much better defensive player than Yuni. Yuni is one of the worst defensive starting SS's in MLB history

Ok, looking at Baseball-reference.com's defensive stats for both players, I'm not sure I'm seeing the big defensive improvement that everyone else is pointing out. However, I am by no means an expert at reading these stats. Looking at the range numbers, there does not seem to be much of a difference. Also, is a 1.1 dWar that much better than a .5 dWar?

Is there someone out there that has a much better grasp on defensive stats than I do that can post the comparisons in this thread and point out why we should all be rejoicing over this? Not just last year's stats, but over the last 3 to 5 years.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to do this.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Also, is a 1.1 dWar that much better than a .5 dWar?

I read that as Gonzalez is twice as good defensively as Yuni, which is probably accurate. Yuni was brutal defensively

"He (Gonzalez) was probably the best defender (of the three available

shortstops- Gonzalez, Furcal, Yuni B)," said Melvin. "He still has good range; makes the tough

plays. He is durable.

"He's a very similar offensive player to 'Yuni' but he's a better defender."

Fangraphs gave Gonzalez -0.3 on UZR. His RngR (Range Runs Saved) was -6.3 compared to Betancourt's -4.5. His overall RZR looks much better than Betancourt and his fielding percentage is much better. No doubt he is a better defensive player than YB but it isn't like he was Ozzie Smith last year and is another year older. Meh, likely isn't going to make a huge difference but will likely help a bit on the D and be a wash at the plate. I predict by mid season there will be plenty of hate strewn his way.

I'm not sold that this guy is any better than Yuni, unless you are a stathead.
Begin your search of the Internet and find one "expert" who doesn't consider Gonzalez a much better defensive player than Yuni. Yuni is one of the worst defensive starting SS's in MLB history
I'm not going to rehash the whole Yuni argument again, but outside of poor range on balls hit to his right (most of which would end up as infield singles anyway), he was not that bad. Strong accurate arm (did he make a throwing error all season?), good at turning two, and just as good as most with the routine play.

Bottom line, saber people like sketchy fielding metrics and OBP/working the count. Yuni was bad in both, so he is the worst player ever. I just don't see how bringing in a 35 year old shortstop who has also had defensive issues is an upgrade, not to mention that he hasn't hit over .250 for five years. I guess since he strikes out a ton, he will be better at working the count.

Well....someone had to play short.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Defensive stats are tough (UZR, dWAR), but most people who use them will agree it's best to look at several seasons as a true gauge of a guy's ability.

Yuni dWAR (baseball reference)

2011: 0.5

2010: -0.2

2009: -0.8

Yuni UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -6.9

2010: -9.5

2009: -16.7

Gonzalez dWAR

2011: 1.1

2010: 0.7

2009: 0.1

Gonzalez UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -0.3

2010: 5.5

2009: 7.7

I think Gonzalez will be a pretty good upgrade defensively. We're not talking Ozzie Smith upgrade, but most any thing is better than Yuni. And if Gonzalez and rebound a bit with the bat - all the better.

We were not willing to spend Monopoly Money on Rollins. Reyes was never realistic as he wanted to go to Miami. We were not willing to raid our farm system to trade for someone like Alexi Ramirez. The 3 choices realistically were Gonzalez, Furcal & Yuni. The only part I disagree with that is that Yuni should have never been a "choice/option".

Rollins is a huge roll of the dice for the $$$ he wants and durability issues. Furcal has durability issues too. Gonzalez improves our defense and we are only committing one season to him.

Given the options, I'm good with this choice

Defensive stats are tough (UZR, dWAR), but most people who use them will agree it's best to look at several seasons as a true gauge of a guy's ability.

Yuni dWAR (baseball reference)

2011: 0.5

2010: -0.2

2009: -0.8

Yuni UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -6.9

2010: -9.5

2009: -16.7

Gonzalez dWAR

2011: 1.1

2010: 0.7

2009: 0.1

Gonzalez UZR (Fangraphs)

2011: -0.3

2010: 5.5

2009: 7.7

I think Gonzalez will be a pretty good upgrade defensively. We're not talking Ozzie Smith upgrade, but most any thing is better than Yuni. And if Gonzalez and rebound a bit with the bat - all the better.

At 35 I'm not so confident about a "rebound with the bat". Also the drop off at UZR as he ages is a bit concerning.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Given the remaining options, this was the SS I wanted. Furcal has simply been hurt too much in recent seasons for me, especially given Weeks' history right there next to him. No, the Brewers didn't just sign a game-changer at SS, but yes, they absolutely did just sign a defensive upgrade, which works for me.

It's not a huge commitment in either years or dollars, and it should provide at least a defensive upgrade...seems like the smart move to me.

Furcal has simply been hurt too much in recent seasons for me

and it sounds like he is demanding a two-year deal. Hopefully we'll get a long-term SS at some point, but with the available options, I'm glad we got Gonzalez on a one-year deal. We're going to rely on pitching more next year, and a good defense will help us there.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived