Brewer Fanatic

Pujols to Angels - 10 years / $250-60 million

reillymcshane
I don't think there's much to back up speculation about Pujols's age being fudged. This is a guy who played H.S. ball in the U.S., & was a 13th round pick. It's not like he was some sure-fire MLB star who came over from the D.R. or Cuba & entered right into his MLB career.

I guess, if 15-yo (or whatever the assertion is of his 'real' age) Albert Pujols was visionary enough to recognize that fudging his age would someday make him millions of dollars, more power to him - and I sincerely doubt that was the case. Otherwise it just kinda seems like 'birther' stuff to claim he's not the age he's understood to be.

Except that it is fairly common for late coming immigrants to lie about their age to try to get a full US high school education.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While there was no need for Mrs. P to publicly complain about the negotiations, I can understand why they might have been upset. She said that the team told him that they wanted him to be a Cardinal for life. A 5-year contract does not accomplish that. Basically, if what she says is true, the Cards were saying, "We want you to be a Cardinal for life...but...um...only if you're still good and not hurt after 5 years. So, like, we'll see. Hug it out, bro?"

A 5-year contract does not accomplish that

How do you know? He will be 36 by then. 36 is very old for a major leaguer, even for someone of his caliber. Not to mention that he can retire if he wants and still be financially set up for like 10 generations. If he is so determined to be a Cardinal for life but the Cardinals don't offer him a contract after his 5 year deal runs out he could just retire.

the Cards were saying, "We want you to be a Cardinal for

life...but...um...only if you're still good and not hurt after 5 years.

So, like, we'll see. Hug it out, bro?"

And what he and his wife were saying was "I want guaranteed money for 10 years regardless of how I perform. Even if I start to suck after 7 years you still have to pay me like I'm an all star for 3 years. Deal?" Why are the Cardinals the bad guys here? There were doing the exact same thing that Pujols was doing: make a deal that is as friendly for their side as possible. Maybe they were insulted by a 31 year old demanding a 10 year contract.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
She should have just kept her yapper shut about the whole thing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure why Pujols and wife figured that he deserved a ten year deal. That's a tad preposterous even if you believe that he is 31 going on 32 (I don't). We will see how good this deal looks after year five.

Because they knew they would get it. The market is simply supply and demand, and they knew that some team would step up to the table and offer them what they wanted. Why settle for a five-year deal when your last sentence is probably correct. After five years, he wouldn't get a $20MM+ / year deal, so take it now when you can get it and put all of the risk onto the team signing you.

Why are the Cardinals the bad guys here?

I don't think anyone is a "bad guy" for negotiating in their best interest. The Pujols family knew they'd get a better offer, which the Cardinals knew they wouldn't be able to match. They tried offering a shorter deal for more annual money, which Mrs. Pujols found insulting (probably too strong a term from her, but oh well) and they then increased the offer to ten years with a lower yearly average. Their best offer wasn't up to the ridiculously rich Angels' offer, so Albert will play in Anaheim next year. Fans often operate on emotions, but it's better for teams and players/agents to try to keep the emotions out of the business side of the game.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it's appropriate that Pujols went to a team called the Angels. Heck, I don't know why the Cards aren't called the Angels.
JaDerHeyski mentioned this at breakfast this morning. First, Pujols was a Cardinal.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_V6pmNalQScy74rdUScT-zIxX-kKMh1SQNLn4xOii1h3lFHOy

Now he's an Angel.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZaShg_1F5jriFY-ag-mSkTReJ0XfXXM0Ue08MII8GRqaBxjAcoQ

How long before he's a Padre?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgvsI6nfbNyUjD_GLJN5_DxTcWU--Whbt6BSqd1nIqHs7J5qsVtw

Hopefully he winds up a Saint (St. Paul that is).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Pope-peter_pprubens.jpg/220px-Pope-peter_pprubens.jpg

Archived