Brewer Fanatic

Buerhle to Marlins - 4/58M

pretendastronaut

Wow. Thats a lot of $$$ for Buerhle. MLB Network was reporting today that the Marlins offered CJ Wilson a 6 year contract, too

And they offered Pujols 10 years and supposedly now that Pujols might be turning that down, the Marlins might go after Prince as well!

They are spending money like it is Monopoly money... Boardwalk! Park Place, put them hotels up and hope for a roll of the dice

Marlins might be bankrupt in 2 or 3 years; especially when the new stadium fad wears off and they get 10,000 fans a game again. Plus these contracts to Reyes and Buehrle will likely make them untradeable. If Pujols or Wilson is added it makes the problem even worse.

All reports are that they only aimed to sign either of Buerhle or Wilson, not both. Whoever signed first they would go with. Wilson's offer is likely off the table now.

Plus these contracts to Reyes and Buehrle will likely make them untradeable.

I thought it was funny that the no-trade clause was supposedly such a sticking point in the Pujols talks. 10 years, 220 million, that's a no-trade clause in and of itself.

This pretty much demonstrates (yet again) that the only way the Brewers are going to get good pitchers is to develop them or trade for them when teams are trying to avoid paying out big arby raises. If Greinke or Marcum actually hit FA, you can forget about seeing them in a Brewers uniform again.

Wow, that's a lot. Buehrle has been incredibly durable & good for his career, but wow. I wonder if they're planning another firesale after '12 to rebuild around Johnson/Stanton/Reyes.
I think the contracts they sign the FA's to will be so team-unfriendly that they'll have a hard time unloading to rebuild. Depending on the numbers on the Buerhle deal, it might look really bad in year two or three, say nothing of year four. If they sign Pujols to a $200 million contract, there's only one or two teams that could take that money on.

Marlins are really making some gambles this offseason. It's so out of character for them, new stadium and all.

well, they've spent an unholy amount to not improve your team at all..

i think Doug melvin was right when he said the "winner" of the winter meetings is almost always a loser on the field...

i just don't see reyes, buehrle, and bell making any team all that much better

well, they've spent an unholy amount to not improve your team at all..

i think Doug melvin was right when he said the "winner" of the winter meetings is almost always a loser on the field...

i just don't see reyes, buehrle, and bell making any team all that much better

I tend to agree actually. 2011 Javier Vazquez to 2012 Mark Buehrle is close to being a push. 2011 "Leo Nunez" to 2012 Heath Bell is close to a push as well. Depending on what happens with the Hanley Ramirez situation and Jose Reyes constant injury problems, that may end up a push.

Having said that if they signed Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder, Reyes stays healthy and Hanley agrees to a 3B move, then they would have substantially upgraded their team. However, in my opinion, Reyes is the only true upgrade they have signed this offseason.

Seems like a decent contract given how awesome Buehrle has been in his career. I wouldn't want the Brewers paying him that, but he's been so good that it seems like fair price

You're paying for his future, not his past. What a horrific overpay.

And really, he was never great. Good, not great.

I think the contracts they sign the FA's to will be so team-unfriendly that they'll have a hard time unloading to rebuild.

That may be true. However, if they look to unload someone like Buehrle after next season (assuming he pitches to his norms in '12), I'd imagine they'd have several big-market teams interested.

And on Bell, they'd be trading (after '12) an elite closer on a two-year deal. There should be a market there.

Like I mentioned, I don't think they have any intention of flipping Reyes right away. Maybe they should, though.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Buehrle is a tremendous innings eater but he's led the league in hits allowed 4 times. In the NL, his innings figure to be down a bit, and that might actually make him better.

It's a sign though there would be a market for Wolf if Melvin were inclined to shop him.

Archived