Brewer Fanatic

Jerry Hairston Jr. signs with Dodgers, 2 years, $6 million plus incentives

trwi7
That and the fact that Melvin probably didn't wanna give a utility player a 2-year-deal, which I can't say I blame him for.
I don't know why being a utility player would matter in regards to a 1 versus 2 year contract, unless Melvin thought JHJ would be blocking current minor leaguers in 2013. But I suspect Melvin will end up signing some other lesser utility player for 2 years probably anyways and throw that idea out the door.

Personally, I would have went 2/$6.5M if that would have done the trick. He just covers your butt in so many positions....

W need all the extra money to add that SS and Big Bopper in the middle of the lineup and still add to our Bullpen.

Exactly. You can't fall in love with a utility player to the extent you overpay him. When you need them, they can be had via trade. Hairston for 1 year at $2.5 million made sense, otherwise move on.

Ryan Theriot is a likely non-tender by the Cards and perfect for that role too, or in a pinch be everyday SS for you.

Agreed. Hairston helped the team out down the stretch but not retaining him is nothing to get too worked up about. I really would like to see this team fill more bench roles with young players all ready in our system. If you really need a guy like him down the stretch you can do just as the Brewers did this year and get somebody at the deadline.

We're moving from a position where we had a lot of young, inexpensive starters to a position where we have more experienced, expensive starters. We now won't be able to spend as much on the bench, but shouldn't need "veteran presence" from the bench, so some of our prospects could fill a role for league minimum. I would've liked to have gotten Hariston back, but his late-season play in the national spotlight got him a 2-year deal. From Melvin & Roenicke's comments, it sounds like they wanted him back and had an offer on the table, but he took LA's offer without countering the Brewers. Can't be too disappointed with the team about this. As for McGehee, I don't think he'll be back if the reports are true that he'd get around $3MM.

Our primary needs are SS & bullpen. We also need a backup SS and someone RH who can backup 1B/3B (if McGehee's gone), but I'd give up some talent in the backup roles if it means we can spend more (i.e. get a better player) for the more important roles. If the extra $5MM we'd spend on Hairston/McGehee over league minimum guys would give us enough cash to sign Rollins, then let's go with the league minimum bench - I'd rather have Rollins and players like Maysonet/Farris on the bench then Yuni, McGehee and Hairston.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hall would be nearly free, but it seems that his name is mud in the Brewers organization for whatever reason.
I know right. He played so well for us the last couple years we had him. He has been pretty good since he left too.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Hall... please no. While he has positional versatility he's not a plus defender anywhere, his range was his best asset in the field and that will only decline with age. He always had a suspect glove and inaccurate throwing arm to go with poor instincts for the game... throwing to the wrong base, making outs on the bases... we already have Gomez to fill that role which Hall left when he moved on. You know, the super athlete who never put it all together and makes as many irritating plays as he does good plays.

I'd rather have a savvy veteran in that role who understands the game and his limits rather than a flash in the pan super athlete who's best assets are steadily declining with age. No I'm not saying I'd prefer Counsell to Hall, but there has to be someone out there that will make the fundamental play and have a good approach at the plate for cheap. I want someone who can think his way through situations rather than get by on pure athleticism. I'm sure that won't make sense for many people, but it's how I feel.

I get that people around here really liked Bill Hall, I never was a fan and he will always be my personal least favorite Brewer of this era.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I highly doubt Hall would ever return here - seems burned on both sides of that bridge but if he was willing to come in for virtually nothing, it's a least worth a look. He can still hit lefties to some extent with some pop and can play at least average defense all around the field.

There is no harm whatsoever in tossing a guy like Hall a NRI. That's probably all that he will get. Best case, he comes in playing for his career and surprises. Worst case, you cut him. For heaven's sake, Erick Almonte was the utility guy last year on the opening day roster last year, while Counsell was making $2-3 million to go 0-fer the summer.

If the crew signs Aram, Alex G at SS and can maybe resign a Dotel and Saito and we are in business, especially if Gamel plays well at 1b.

With word of Rollins/Furcal gone... this is what I want. I'd take Dotel over Hawkins, but it seems like Hawkins is our guy.

Have Taylor Green play the role of Counsel/Hairston.

Archived