Brewer Fanatic

Reyes to Marlins. 6 years/ $106 millions

BREWCREW5
Remember when people were complaining about the Marlins not spending any money? Maybe they were stockpiling it & waiting to make their move. If this Pujols rumor is well-informed, then this is the Fish splurging to the tune of almost $350M in guaranteed money this offseason on just three players.

This is my biggest reason why a salary floor is a stupid idea. What is wrong with a team saving up to spend all at once? Why should you have to spend money on a bunch of roster filling veterans when you could save it for a few impact players in one offseason.

This would be where we find out if Poo is about winning of $$$. If he wants to win, sure he'll probably win this year. But if he signs any longer than a 6 year contract, who is to say the Fish won't dismantle again? They've done it twice before. And good luck trying to find someone dumb enough to take on the albatross of the contract. If he wants to win long term, he won't go to Miami. If he wants $$$, he will. My bet is he will.

This would be where we find out if Poo is about winning of $$$. If he wants to win, sure he'll probably win this year. But if he signs any longer than a 6 year contract, who is to say the Fish won't dismantle again? They've done it twice before. And good luck trying to find someone dumb enough to take on the albatross of the contract. If he wants to win long term, he won't go to Miami. If he wants $$$, he will. My bet is he will.
He's got two rings and is a surefire first ballot Hall of Famer. There's nothing for him to prove and this is going to be his last contract. He should try to bleed every single dime out of whatever team he signs with.

According to BNightengale (retweeted by Hardricourt), the Marlins still want to go after Baseball Jesus. I see another 1997 coming where the Marlins are a good team that then has to trade everything away because they can't afford it all.
If any of their fans from the World Series years are still following, at least they'll know what to expect.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Interesting tidbit from SportsCenter last night (unverified by me, only reporting what was said). After taxes and his agents cut, the $106mm that Reyes got will actually "only" be $53mm. I'm beginning to understand now why the largest contract is always sought over loyalty.
That makes sense.... I mean, 35% income tax + 10% Agent fee....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Interesting tidbit from SportsCenter last night (unverified by me, only reporting what was said). After taxes and his agents cut, the $106mm that Reyes got will actually "only" be $53mm. I'm beginning to understand now why the largest contract is always sought over loyalty.
Is it 10% in MLB? I'm pretty sure it was mandated to be 3% in the NFL (or the NBA) on the playing contract, and obviously a lot more for commercials, etc.

Is it 10% in MLB? I'm pretty sure it was mandated to be 3% in the NFL (or the NBA) on the playing contract, and obviously a lot more for commercials, etc.

That was my thought, 10% seems crazy high.

You know like locating where Wisconsin is

During a '10-'11 Badgers' men's basketball broadcast in Madison, coming back from commercial ESPN showed a stock footage shot of the Minnesota state capitol. I know it was discussed in the '10-'11 college hoops thread in the Off Topic forum. And no, they weren't playing the Gophers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That was my thought, 10% seems crazy high.

Yeah, I was just guesstimating, from doing some reading its closer to 5%.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

How is ESPN wrong on this? 35% Federal taxes, plus state taxes, plus agent fee. It might not be 50%, but it is closer than you think. I know Florida doesn't have state income tax, but players have to pay taxes based on home location and some states have non-resident rules so they'll pay taxes based on away games.

I know ESPN has made some dumb mistakes. I get that. The image above is pretty bad, but I don't see the big deal here. The bottom line is these guys don't take home all the money reported...just like all of us 'normal' workers.

Looks like the Fish are going up to 10 years for Poo. Looks like a pretty similar contract to ARod....yeah, that worked well for the Rangers. Go Miami Go!!!! I'm all for getting Poo off of the Cards, and putting him on a team that might be competitive for a year or two, then rebuild which makes him irrelevant. And, you have to wonder with the shoulder/arm injuries he's had, how long he can go before a major injury.

Looks like the Fish are going up to 10 years for Poo. Looks like a pretty similar contract to ARod....yeah, that worked well for the Rangers. Go Miami Go!!!! I'm all for getting Poo off of the Cards, and putting him on a team that might be competitive for a year or two, then rebuild which makes him irrelevant. And, you have to wonder with the shoulder/arm injuries he's had, how long he can go before a major injury.
10 years is insane! Wow..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

At least A-Rod was 25 and played probably an average to above average SS. If the Rangers were a team that was in a position to afford to give a player a contract like that, it would have been a good contract. He played three years for the Rangers, OPS'ed over 1.000 over the period, and led the AL in HR every year.

At least A-Rod was 25 and played probably an average to above average SS. If the Rangers were a team that was in a position to afford to give a player a contract like that, it would have been a good contract. He played three years for the Rangers, OPS'ed over 1.000 over the period, and led the AL in HR every year.
Yep, that deal was fine for the Rangers, it was their idiocy in their other spending that killed them.

The Rangers, on the other hand, paid Kenny Rogers and Darren Oliver a combined $14.5 million for a whopping +2.7 WAR, and that’s a generous assessment based on their FIP, as they each posted an ERA over 6.00 that year. They also gave Andres Galarraga $6 million for -0.1 WAR, Rusty Greer got $4.6 million for +0.1 WAR, and Ken Caminiti got $3.5 million for +0.1 WAR. The Rangers essentially flushed a huge chunk of their payroll down the drain on players who produced around replacement level, and I cannot come up with any rational way to blame that on Rodriguez.

In 2002, they sought to make some drastic changes to their roster, and in the process, raised their team payroll to $105 million, third highest in Major League Baseball. They gave Juan Gonzalez a two year, $24 million deal to return to the Rangers and try to recapture his past glory. They gave Chan Ho Park a five year, $65 million contract to try and fix their pitching problems. They traded Darren Oliver to Boston, and in exchange, they took on the remaining $17 million left on the final two years of Carl Everett‘s contract. They brought in John Rocker to try and stabilize the bullpen.

None of it worked. Those four big splash acquisitions combined for a total of +2.2 WAR, and the team was once again remarkably bad. The Rangers had simply invested in lemons, but again, I fail to see how any of that is due to having Rodriguez on the roster. Did he advise management to throw a large amount of money at bad players? Was he in charge of giving Carl Everett over 400 plate appearances despite a .295 wOBA and disastrously bad defense?

Archived