Brewer Fanatic

How much does the value of the Brewers increase if we win a World Series?

Serious question. I believe according to Forbes that the team is currently worth about $300 million? What would the team value need to increase over the next 5 years for the team to take a short term loss each year in payroll in order to keep the "Big 5" around for the forseeable future (Braun, Fielder, Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo)

Just throwing out some numbers... say all of those players can be kept it the payroll is stretched to $110 million over the 5 years, then a few years of low cost rebuilding before going for it again. If the team "loses" 20 million annually, but wins a world series, would the team value increase to $500 million + assuming 3 division titles, 2 NL Pennants, and a World Series?

Actually, after the 2010 season the team was worth $376 million, which is a $153 million increase from the $223 million that Mark A bought the team for in 2005.

Forbes

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I can't speak in terms of numbers, but there have been both success stories and horror stories tied to small market teams winning big.

The Blue Jays (not exactly small market) seemed to score big in the early 90s when they went on their run. I also think it would have been very difficult for the Twins to build a new field if they had continued their losing ways in the early 00s.

However, both of the Florida teams have done very little to parlay their success.

The only problem I could see is if the Brewers get sold to somebody who isn't interested in winning as much. Hopefully Attanasio is more interested in owning a baseball team than making money selling the team. Unless the team is going to be sold, it doesn't' matter what the value of the team is.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I actually don't think a championship would increase the value much over what it is now. They've had a pretty consistent revenue stream that I'd say is pretty close to being maxed out without some creative marketing or something. The franchise is only as valuable as the amount of profit it's able to produce.

Edit: Consistent over the last few years.

Archived