Brewer Fanatic

Heath Bell to Marlins - 3/27m

jjkoestler

Bell to Fish per MLB Trade Rumors.

3/27m with a vesting option for a 4th year.

If all Bell is going to get is $9M/year, this would seem to me to make it more likely that KRod accepts arby to get a bigger one year payday and then go back into free agency . Would anyone pay KRod as much as Bell for a contract?

or

Were the Marlins expected to get a closer? If not, maybe this removes a closer from the pool and drives up the price for the others?...

I'd be shocked if KROD accepts arby. I think he would rather close for 3/27M than setup with the Brewers for 1/14M.
Isn't Bell considered to be the better/safer pitcher at this stage? If so, are we sure that KRod even gets 3/$27 from anyone?

Krod seems more about situation than money. Another year setting up Axford isn't going to help him get ten million a year in a multi year contract the following season. I am betting that he'd be looking at around 5 million a year if he spends another year as a set up guy. So even if he gets something like 2/22, he might prefer that offer to accepting arbitration.

I would think Bell could have gotten more than $9MM/year. Just my opinion, but Bell seems to be a guy who would rather play in a certain area than go for the most money. Miami, like San Diego, is nice & warm, and is probably a "lower pressure" environment. Maybe that's more important than getting additional money to play for someone else (like a big spending team that plays in the cold northeast and is covered by a ruthless media).

K-Rod wants to be a closer. He holds the all-time single season saves record, and probably feels that he could someday end up in the Hall of Fame. That won't happen if he spends too much time as a setup guy. The desire to close is probably more important to him than getting additional money, which is why he is unlikely to accept arbitration.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Interesting that they said the Marlins need/want pitching, and Ramirez says he wants to stay at SS. They say the Marlins want Pujols to make a decision so they can go after CJ Wilson.

Could there be a package centered around either Wolf or Marcum for Ramirez? Brewers deal from strength (starting pitching) to shore up weakness (SS).

Interesting that they said the Marlins need/want pitching, and Ramirez says he wants to stay at SS. They say the Marlins want Pujols to make a decision so they can go after CJ Wilson.

Could there be a package centered around either Wolf or Marcum for Ramirez? Brewers deal from strength (starting pitching) to shore up weakness (SS).

No way would Wolf be enough unless one or both of Braun/Weeks are included. I don't think Marcum would be enough either. Our farm system is so thin there's really no point speculating what it would take to get Hanley because we don't have the pieces.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

No way would Wolf be enough unless one or both of Braun/Weeks are included. I don't think Marcum would be enough either. Our farm system is so thin there's really no point speculating what it would take to get Hanley because we don't have the pieces.

Wolf plus Gamel plus Thornburg plus Peralta might get it done. And no way would I do that

I wish everyone didn't pretend to know what it would cost to get Hanley in this situation. Nobody really knows. Although I guess it is a message board. The way everyone makes their opinion sound factual on some of these topics just turns me away. I guess I should just pick and choose which topics to read and comment on. Rant compldte.

I wish everyone didn't pretend to know what it would cost to get Hanley in this situation. Nobody really knows. Although I guess it is a message board. The way everyone makes their opinion sound factual on some of these topics just turns me away. I guess I should just pick and choose which topics to read and comment on. Rant compldte.

Sorry but he said would a package centered around Wolf get it done? "Centered" means Wolf would be the key piece to the deal, i.e. the best player in the trade. I would say it's a fact that the Marlins wouldn't trade Hanley if the best player in a package were Randy Wolf. Using The Truth's offer, the key piece in that deal would probably be Thornburg/Peralta so that is different than saying a package centered on Wolf. It might just be semantics but I was responding to exactly what he said: a package centered around Wolf or Marcum.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived