Brewer Fanatic

20 Greatest Brewer Seasons Ever (according to WAR)

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

According to Fangraphs WAR calculations, here are the top 20 seasons by a Brewer.

I don't think anyone realized at the time (or even now) how great Sheeters pitched in 2004.

The 1980 team had three players with a WAR of 6.6 or higher. Wow.

I thought this was kind of fun to share:

Robin Yount - 1982 - 10.2 WAR

Ben Sheets - 2004 - 8.0

Ryan Braun - 2011 - 7.8

Teddy Higuera - 1987 - 7.4

Tommy Harper - 1970 - 7.3

Cecil Cooper - 1980 - 7.1

Ben Oglivie - 1980 - 7.0

Mike Caldwell - 1978 - 6.9

Robin Yount - 1983 - 6.9

Jeff Cirillo - 1998 - 6.8

Robin Yount - 1980 - 6.6

Rickie Weeks - 2010 - 6.5

Prince Fielder - 2009 - 6.4

Paul Molitor - 1982 - 6.3

Paul Molitor - 1987 - 6.3

George Scott - 1973 - 6.3

Chris Bosio - 1989 - 6.2

Robin Yount - 1984 - 6.1

Paul Molitor - 1988 - 5.9

Sal Bando - 1978 - 5.9

For pitchers especially I like to add the two (Fangraphs and Bref) and divide it since Fangraphs gives a pitcher virtually no credit for balls in play in their methodology and Bref gives them pretty much all the credit and the truth is obviously somewhere inbetween.

I wish they'd convert the statistic to Wins Above Average, but that's just me. To me, it's an easier statistic to wrap myself around. I don't care about the production of a replacement player. I base judgments as compared to what a league average player would do. Does anyone have a formula to calculate?

I wish they'd convert the statistic to Wins Above Average, but that's just me. To me, it's an easier statistic to wrap myself around. I don't care about the production of a replacement player. I base judgments as compared to what a league average player would do. Does anyone have a formula to calculate?

The reason they don't do this is because it would say an average player provides 0 wins to a team, which is not correct. You can easily find this value on your own however, at least on bb-ref. They break out all the components of WAR, and each one is compared to average. Only in the final step do they convert from runs above average to runs above replacement, and then convert from runs above replacement to wins above replacement.

Looking at Yount 1982:

Year Age Tm Lg PA Rbat Rbaser Rroe Rdp Rfield Rpos Rrep RAR WAR oRAR oWAR dWAR
1982 26 MIL AL 704 65 8 3 -1 8 9 20 112 11.5 104 10.7 0.8

Offense = Runs above average (RAA) from batting (Rbat) + RAA from baserunning (Rbaser) + RAA from reaching on errors (Rroe) + RAA on doubleplayed grounded into (Rdp) + RAA from position (Rpos).

Defense = RAA from fielding (Rfield)

Rrep = runs above a replacement player (a function of playing time and league strength). WAR is a counting stat also remember.

If you total all columns except for Rrep you will get the RAA for the player, in this case 92. Converting from runs to wins is a function of the scoring environment in the park and era of the player. You can easily back calculate it using the RAR and WAR, for Yount '82 = 112/11.5 = 9.74 runs/win.

so 92 runs above average / 9.74 runs/win = ~ 9.5 Wins above average.

This is, by the way, a historically huge season, especially for a SS. It is says Yount alone could transform and average team (81 wins) to a 90 win team.

1980 had a great lineup particularly Coop and Oglivie. That team was pretty much destroyed by the bad pitching. Most of the starters were disappointments, and Reggie Cleveland, Augie and the boys from the bullpen gagged a lot of games away that year. I remember a horrible stretch in the summer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is, by the way, a historically huge season, especially for a SS. It is says Yount alone could transform and average team (81 wins) to a 90 win team.
Yeah, this is so true. I was 18 in 1982, and I remember the season (even got to go to the 5th game of the world series). I wish, however, I'd have understood at the time just how amazing Robin and the team were. I friggin' 10 WAR season. Wow. You don't always appreciate it while in the moment.

Thank you topper for taking the time and effort to s'plain that to me. I use those numbers in calculations I use too, but it's easier to wrap my head around explaining above and below average. I don't understand why replacement level is used as the break even point (0.0) and is the sabermetric of choice. Average should be interpreted as break even or (0.0) from a layperson's perspective.

I personally prefer baseball-reference's way of doing it, I have a really hard time with FIP calculations being considered a "true" result.

I find it interesting that Cooper had the best 1B season in Brewer history, I didn't realize Rickie's 2010 was that good, and I'm glad I'm old enough to have watched Yount and Molitor in person.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Which calculation of WAR (BR or Fangraphs) is most universally agreed upon? I typically use Fangraphs, but I didn't realize there was a difference between the two calculations.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Ben Sheets was incredible in 2004. Just incredible. If he had more wins, I am sure he would have won the Cy Young over Clemens that year.

The funny thing is, Randy Johnson had an even better year than Sheeter.... and didn't win the Cy Young because he only had 16 wins.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Which calculation of WAR (BR or Fangraphs) is most universally agreed upon? I typically use Fangraphs, but I didn't realize there was a difference between the two calculations.
BR uses Total Zone for defense on position players and I think ERA instead of FIP for pitchers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Between 1989 and 2004, Cirillo was the only 6+WAR player. That's surprising.

Even as a newb baseball fan in 2004 I never understood why Sheets' lack of wins should have precluded his Cy Young candidacy. Whatever metric you prefer, FIP, xFIP, ERA, all were between 2.65 and 2.80. Dude could pitch.

Kind of interesting that Yount's 2nd MVP year of 1989 didn't have a WAR high enough to get him in the top 20.

Did the switch to center have anything to do with that? I notice that all 4 seasons on the list were at short.

I always appreciated Yount's longevity and hustle, but I guess I never appreciated how good he was in his prime.

Archived