Brewer Fanatic

Notebook computer power consumption question

1992casey

In my MacBook Pro, I'm considering:

• Adding an SSD to run the OS and for my main storage.
  • Removing the DVD burner and putting the current 7200 RPM hard drive in that spot.

The current hard drive would be used for overflow storage, and I wouldn't access it very often.

I'd like to know if this arrangement will result in my battery lasting longer between charges. This is the answer I got from a sales person:

Having the SSD installed with another drive would still amount to the same draw on the battery plus some more due to the SSD. However, the SSDs power draw is minimal in comparison to a standard drive,. If you are not constantly pulling data form the second drive you may see better battery life, but I am not positive.
Thanks!

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Thanks! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif It's logical that things would vary from case to case. My main concern was that the system wouldn't try to access the non-boot drive while I wasn't actually doing anything with it.

Actually, I'm less concerned now. I've figured out how to make the second drive not mount at startup by editing fstab (in the /ect) folder). That would prevent the system from attempting to access it simply because it's available.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived