Brewer Fanatic

Help getting an AP photo printed

Tailgat0r76

I figured this was the forum to ask this as I'm sure there are other collectors out there who've had a photo printed before from services like AP.

I'm looking to get This photo made into a poster or lithograph type print, but have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it. It looks like AP allows one to buy certain prints but sports pictures don't seem to generally be included.

Is there any way to get this thing printed? Anyone have a higher resolution copy of this that's not readily available on the internet?

Thanks for any help

Yeah - I'm not sure. There's a link on top that says "buy this print" but it takes you to another site that says its not available. My best suggestion would be to contact AP Images. That's the first time I've seen that picture and its very cool. Hopefully you do find a better size/res pic.

I'm not going to say I've ever done this, but most Walgreens/Targets/etc.. have machines where you can print pictures, if you're totally desperate.

Edit: I was hoping to find it in the archives on SBNation - at Brew Crew Ball we have access to a photo library, but it looks like its only Getty Images. Sorry.

From what I understand, and as usual - I could be wrong - AP photos are usually purchased by someone with a media or image license. AP makes some photos available for sale to the general public, but most of the photos are licensed as editorial photos. I used to have multiple contacts who could get me full res photos for $2-3 a pop, but I've lost those contacts over the years.

As a side note, I did have some problems printing the photos from AP & Getty. I bought tons of photos, used Walgreens to print them. When I showed up to pick up my order, the manager wouldn't let me take the photos because he said that were copyright protected and I didn't have a license for them. I tried to BS my way through the conversation, and he said that even if I had the license from AP, I would still need permissions from the photographer. Big hassle. I would up buying a nice printer and printing them myself.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Yeah, you can't order the prints from Walgreens/Target/etc... You have to do it yourself. I've never done big orders, but I've printed one or two here or there by just walking up, plugging in my flash drive and doing the print. He's right that they're protected and you're breaking the law. So you have to be more subtle about it than that.

I've not done it much and I don't sell them or anything, so I haven't worried too much about it. They're for my own use. I printed one of CC's first start and had him sign it at a Block Party. He didn't say anything about it and that's for my own wall.

It's funny you guys mention some of these tactics, I've worked in the Walgreens photo department for the first four years of my college career during the summers. Usually a waiver of copyright form needs to be filled out, though if you were real desperate you could just say you're the photographer and sign the sheet. The people at Walgreens aren't going to question your honesty and those forms are just held in a huge folder - it's not like they go anywhere.

The problem is I just need this in higher resolution really. Stretching these sizes to a poster would look miserable. I guess I'll just start sending out a bunch of emails and see what I can find out.

Tristar, the photo you posted is actually different than mine. I really like both of 'em, but I like my original a little better. The ridiculous poses caught of Yovani and CC, combined with the raw emotion of Prince, McGehee, Yuni B, and even Krod in the back corner make for a great picture of my favorite game I've attended in my lifetime.

Archived