Brewer Fanatic

Manzanillo injured in car accident

prophet

Oh man, how unlucky & unfortunate. Get well soon, Santo.

EDIT:
According to information from Manzanillo’s Dominican Winter League team published on Licey.com, a truck struck Manzanillo’s Hummer on a highway in La Romana while Manzanillo was on his way to the Brewers’ new baseball academy. According to the website, Manzanillo, a right-handed power pitcher, suffered cuts and bruises on his right shoulder and was taken by plane to Cure International Hospital in Santo Domingo.
Right-handed pitcher Santo Manzanillo, who was added to the 40-man roster on November 18, was involved in a car accident this morning while traveling from La Romana to the team’s Dominican baseball complex in San Pedro de Macoris. Manzanillo, 22, suffered a separated right shoulder and is currently undergoing further tests.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not sure we can go to the "unlucky" card, we don't know any details yet. For example, if he was drag racing or something along those lines then he's lucky to be alive. I'm not suggesting he was doing something of that sort, it's just that I work with teenage boys and let's just say by default I'm skeptical because most car accidents involving the young men I've been around have more to do with bad decisions than a deer jumping out in front of them. What they tell their parents and their parents believe in most cases is a far cry from what actually happened. I'm personally in wait and see mode, if he was at fault I'll be upset, but this wouldn't be the first time a promising prospect hurt his chances because he got injured operating a motor vehicle of some sort.

edit. forget it, I see there were additional details posted I was unaware of.

edit 2. it would be nice if the baseball would take to you back to an older edited post as well as new posts

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm personally in wait and see mode, if he was at fault I'll be upset, but this wouldn't be the first time a promising prospect hurt his chances because he got injured operating a motor vehicle of some sort.

I krynged when I read that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not sure what you mean by "in fairness"? I was still holding out some hope he could become productive, but regardless he was prospect who killed whatever good will he had left with the organization with the crash.

Yount also hurt himself on a dirt bike but didn't report it as such, which is who I was actually thinking of.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Ash also said that pitching prospect Santo Manzanillo is coming to Milwaukee to be examined by team physician William Raasch to see if he needs surgery on the shoulder he injured in an auto accident in the Dominican Republic. He also broke the scapula behind the shoulder but that should heal on its own.

"It's bad in that he'll miss spring training but it's not career-threatening," said Ash.

Sounds like Manzanillo is lucky to be alive. Ash said Manzanillo swerved to avoid being hit by a truck and his Hummer rolled over twice. Manzanillo wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected through the sun roof. And, in a nice touch, the first passersby robbed him instead of helping him.

"It sounds horrendous," said Ash.

Link

Passersby... plural. My goodness. I don't even want to guess what went through their minds when they saw the accident, I would hope most people wouldn't see it as opportunity to take advantage of someone.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Passersby... plural. My goodness. I don't even want to guess what went through their minds when they saw the accident, I would hope most people wouldn't see it as opportunity to take advantage of someone.
My co-worker's sister was in a car crash in Mexico just two weeks ago. Lost an arm, but lucky to be alive. She was robbed before anyone called emergency services. And the things of any value that weren't taken at the scene were stolen by workers at the hospital.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Good news on Manzanillo:

RHP Santo Manzanillo, considered a rising prospect in the farm system, won’t need surgery on the shoulder injury he suffered in an auto accident in the Dominican Republic. Manzanillo traveled to Milwaukee to be examined by team physician William Raasch, who determined physical therapy would solve the issue.

• 1 month later...
why am I not comforted when the brewers medical staff decides something?

Because we've deemed ourselves to be more knowledgeable than Medical experts and consistently second guess any decision in which a player doesn't come back from injury in the time period initially proposed?

Because of the hubris of some on the board has people lining up waiting to jump on them because pitchers(wait for it......) HAVE ARM INJURIES!!! Or players don't tell them about injuries right away and make them worse, or because some joints like the shoulder are just so sophisticated that you simply can't possibly know how it's going to respond?

Dem be my guesses.....but I'm not a Doctor. And I didn't even stay at a Holliday Inn last night.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 5 weeks later...

Archived