Brewer Fanatic

Going to Penn State for grad school?

BREWCREW5

I just wanted to throw something out there to people on here and look for some insights to others thoughts....

Given everything that has happened with Penn State, would you still attend grad school there if you had other options?

Yes, while sad what happened it really wouldn't be a deciding factor to me. I would look at where the school ranks in the graduate program first with the other schools I would be looking at.

I would rather go somewhere else.

While time will surely heal their wounds, there's no reason to burden yourself with their bad reputation.

I guess it's like buying a product that's under manufacturer's recall. It's quite possible that nothing bad will come of it, but if you've got other options, why wouldn't you buy something that is unstained?

I really don't know why it should matter. If an employer sees that you went to Penn State and decides to pass on you because of that he's most likely a petty idiot.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If a prospective employer passes on you due to a pervert and an ESPN witch hunt, you probably don't want to work for them anyway. Sandusky's actions had absolutely no bearing on the academic merit of the school. If you were a football player, I'd advise you to pass- otherwise, if the program is for you, I don't see the harm.

until the actions of the football team effect your studies, it's a non-issue. no prospective employer is going to care. what negative thing could you envision an employer saying to you, anyway? "Some monster raped some kids at the school, therefore your education is second-rate." ?

We aren't talking Harvard here. It's Penn State. There are plenty of schools in the Big Ten alone that are as good or better. I went to Alaska for my MBA and the Sarah Palin comments have come up in an interview. Why risk any negative stigma in a horrible economy and job market?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I really don't know why it should matter. If an employer sees that you went to Penn State and decides to pass on you because of that he's most likely a petty idiot.

Agreed. But why give yourself extra hurdles? Petty idiots might indeed be in positions to make hiring decisions. Or they might be part of the committee that makes those decisions.

Or you might have those petty idiots as coworkers, or as possible clients.

The point is that a Penn State degree now brings some potential baggage. It doesn't bring cachet.

It's less about Sandusky than it is about being part of a community of cultish cowards who have idolized a guy who is unworthy of their idolatry.

You'd like to have pride in your alma mater, not be the butt of jokes.

Personally, I would never give my money or support an organization or school that was involved in such a cover up. And make no mistake about it, the cover up went to the highest levels. I would think twice about anyone who would knowingly give their money to that organization.

If that makes me a petty idiot, so be it. I'm not saying it would be a deciding factor and I would just shred all PSU resumes, but I have to admit I don't know if I could be objective given two similar applicants.

I'd be guess that there has been some type of sexual assault cover up at well over half of the Division 1 schools over the past 25 years in one form or another. Probably not as egregious as the Sandusky episode, but still. This is despicable any way you slice it, but just because ESPN has latched on to the story, wouldn't make me condemn an entire school, their students and alumni.

I'd be guess that there has been some type of sexual assault cover up at well over half of the Division 1 schools over the past 25 years in one form or another. Probably not as egregious as the Sandusky episode, but still. This is despicable any way you slice it, but just because ESPN has latched on to the story, wouldn't make me condemn an entire school, their students and alumni.

*cough* Marquette *cough*

I personally wouldn't go there, because I wouldn't want to be involved with that university. However, I really don't think it would end up hurting you in the long run. It's really just a personal decision. If you think it's the best place for you to go, then by all means go there. As some people said though, there are always gonna be some idiots running places where you might be applying. It shouldn't be a factor, but you never know. If there's another place that you were also considering that you thought would be just as good, then go there. You shouldn't go somewhere that you are questionable about if there's a good alternative.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

We aren't talking Harvard here. It's Penn State. There are plenty of schools in the Big Ten alone that are as good or better. I went to Alaska for my MBA and the Sarah Palin comments have come up in an interview. Why risk any negative stigma in a horrible economy and job market?

this is grad school, though. big variation from school to school.

wow, i can't believe an employer actually made a Palin comment during an interview. regardless of one's opinion of her, you'd think a hiring manager should already know that a political comment during an interview can get the company in some trouble.

Don't forget either that by the time you graduate this will be such old news that no one will care anymore.

If this were about grade fixing or player crimes, I might agree. But this is about children being raped, the rapist having full access to the school, and all the top officials of the school pretending there was nothing wrong--including the winningest coach in NCAA history, the most powerful man in the state.

I don't think this is going away anytime soon.

OJ killed Nicole and Ron 17 years ago and the world has not forgotten.

The reason OJ hasn't been forgotten has little to do with the crime. People remember him because of the white bronco, the bloody glove, Jay Leno jokes, the Kardasians, the hoopla around the trial and the fact that OJ has made darn sure he's stayed in the spotlight ever since. Plus the whole beating up some guys over memorabilia didn't help.

Like all scandals this will be out of people's minds quickly.

Where do you plan on working/living in the future?

If you think you'll be staying in Pennsylvania after you graduate, I don't think you'll suffer any negative consequences. If the person hiring you didn't go to Penn State, they know someone who did. There will be a whole bunch of you in the same boat.

If you think you'll be looking elsewhere, how strong is the reputation of the program you will be undertaking? If it's a top 10 program, it doesn't matter about the other stuff. People hiring you within that field of study will be aware of Penn State's reputation and you should be insulated from the negativity.

If you're not planning on staying in Pennsylvania and the graduate program does not have a national reputation for excellence, I'd look elsewhere.

In my opinion, a graduate program's value is based upon it's reputation in the job market of the student's choosing.

Good luck!

Archived