Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox Managerial Search (BOS chooses Bobby Valentine)

Are others here as sick of hearing about this as I am?

I live abroad, so I get my sports news in print over the internet - for baseball that primarily means ESPN, fangraphs and mlbtraderumors.com. I am so sick and tired of the constant "updates" that amount to little more than speculation, most of which has been upcycled from the previous day's speculation. I shouldn't have to say anything here about my disdain for ESPN, but why, on sites like mlbtr, do I have to sift through so much of this crap? Yeah, it's the off-season, low season for baseball news, but this level of "coverage" is ridiculous.

It is sort of a down time in baseball news right now. We're in that lull between the World Series and the Winter Meetings where not too much really happens. That said, the disproportionate coverage clearly is indicative of the media's bias towards the big east coast teams. The Red Sox, in particular, get heavy coverage for even relatively minor moves they make.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm usually half a Red Sox fan, but I can't stand Valentine. It definitely seems like a disaster.

On one positive note, we don't have to listen to him analyzing/doing color commentary anymore, at least for a couple years.

I can't wait for him to call for the Red Sox to re-sign "Jose Ortiz."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I still wish the Brewers had hired Bobby Valentine. He would have had the brains to figure out that Shaun Marcum had no business pitching in Game 6 of the NLCS. I still have not forgiven Ron Roenicke for that.

Sorry to vent.

Managers, at most, make a couple games of difference. Using the rule of ten, it's probably not even that much.

That said, Valentine is obviously a me first guy, who loves being the center of attention. His act will get old really fast in a market like BOS. Of course, they were a 100 win team before injuries and ineffective SP's hit, so they have plenty of talent, though much of it may age badly.

Archived