Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why are people saying K-Rod will get $13-14 million via arby? I thought that, at this point of their career, the money is based upon production, etc. And if you look at comparables, Bell is getting $9 million, Papelbon is getting $12.5 million.

It seems to me K-Rod would get a salary closer to Bell's figure - maybe $10 million.

However, it seems like everyone believes he's going to get a raise. I didn't think it was this simple.

Any help on this one?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to consider: we're probably saving a couple million bucks in signing bonuses for the 2 draft picks that would have been awarded if K-Rod signed elsewhere.

I realize that's not much of a silver lining, but every dollar counts.

What's to prevent Melvin from trading Francisco Rodriguez, He doesn't necessarily have to trade him to someone looking for a closer. He could perhaps wait to see what happens in spring, which team has bullpen trouble due to injuries. Or perhaps go in completely the other direction, and try to sign Rodriguez to a longer term contract that is structured better and make him the closer, then shop Axford. Melvin probably could get a far better return for Axford since he's more affordable for more years than Rodriguez.

Not saying I want to trade Axford, but it is an option.

I don't really see this as a huge disaster. It's only one year, and between Axford and KRod, the average we're spending on both of those guys would be like $7MM apiece. I think together, they'll provide that much value. We were going to spend at least $3MM on Hawkins anyways, and KRod is significantly better. Not $10MM better, but still.

I feel like we're going to re-sign Fielder anyway. Melvin's been bluffing and playing hardball all along. Going after Rollins and/or Aramais were as much of a decoy as a backup plan. The truth is that there isn't another team out there that has a shot at the playoffs any time soon that wants Fielder besides the Brewers. I don't think Fielder's the type of guy who would take a few million extra to play on a losing team. He wants a ton of money...otherwise he would have never hired Boras as his agent. But he's got to be thinking about going back to the playoffs as well, and no team with playoff hopes next year is really all that interested in him. The Blue Jays are the closes thing, but other than that, the Mariners and the Orioles are the only other teams I've seen expressing serious interest.

The thing that makes me most mad about this is the losing of the draft picks. But I'm not disappointed KRod will be back. He is better than both Hawkins and Saito. And it may even mean Taylor Green actually gets a shot. There is a chance that at the end of the year we'll be thanking our lucky stars he accepted because not only do we have a dominant back end, but it allowed Green to play and succeed. Now we just need Green to succeed.

Time to start some trade Axford rumors? (edit; If I wasn't to lazy I would try and figure out how to put that in blue, but alas I am just that lazy)

The Brewers took a risk, and it blew up in there face. It sucks but with the changes to the Free Agent compensation it was a risk worth taking. I was especially optomistic about the Brewers getting picks for K-Rod when Papplebon signed for crazy money, then Nathan signs for crazy money. Now it's time to look at the positives. The Brewers won't lose to many games in the 8th or 9th innings.

If it wasn't the case beforehand it most definitely is now, this is the year Melvin proves what he is made of.

I don't really see this as a huge disaster. It's only one year, and between Axford and KRod, the average we're spending on both of those guys would be like $7MM apiece. I think together, they'll provide that much value. We were going to spend at least $3MM on Hawkins anyways, and KRod is significantly better. Not $10MM better, but still.

I feel like we're going to re-sign Fielder anyway. Melvin's been bluffing and playing hardball all along. Going after Rollins and/or Aramais were as much of a decoy as a backup plan. The truth is that there isn't another team out there that has a shot at the playoffs any time soon that wants Fielder besides the Brewers. I don't think Fielder's the type of guy who would take a few million extra to play on a losing team. He wants a ton of money...otherwise he would have never hired Boras as his agent. But he's got to be thinking about going back to the playoffs as well, and no team with playoff hopes next year is really all that interested in him. The Blue Jays are the closes thing, but other than that, the Mariners and the Orioles are the only other teams I've seen expressing serious interest.

There is absolutely no way we sign Fielder. K-Rod accepting arby only makes it more of a slam dunk that we won't. He's as good as gone. Only a matter of time. It's already been reported that the payroll won't go over $95 million. K-Rod will put it up to $80 million minimum, and then we will struggle to fill the roster and keep it under 95. Signing Fielder is virtually impossible now. Only way to make it happen would be to trade away not just one, but probably 2-3 high paid players. Won't happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Judging from Tom H's twitter, looks like we're missing out on Hawkins, Saito, and Ramirez because of this. Cool.
Not to mince words here as they have been venerable and solid vets but....Hawkins and Saito flat out suck in my opinion. I'm glad they are out of here! KRod is only 30 and this now makes the 8th and 9th innings automatic for us for a whole 162 game schedule..

...so yes, this IS cool http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Lets look at the rest of our roster. I think it is a high possiblity that we trade Wolf., He is coming off a decent year, I think he has thrown 200+ innings the last few years. I am not saying we are going to get much but he could be our salary relief.

boy, it would just make my day if we could trade Wolf for a cheap defensive SS and use that money to sign ARam. improved defense at 3b, SS and 1b, and then (ARam+Gamel) minus (Fielder+McGehee) might end up being an overall improvement on offense. obviously a loss in the rotation, mitigated by now only really needing to hold a lead through the 7th inning. but i know that's a stretch.

the team seems like a bit of a contradiction, though, the way it's now built on starting pitching and a great late-inning bullpen, yet the defense behind it is terrible.

maybe Yuni will be back, then. hope he doesn't lose a step on defense next year, because he only had that one.

the trade Axford idea shouldn't be dismissed....

1) there's a reason he wasn't a can't miss prospect who fast-tracked to the majors.....what if he's the next Peter Ladd?

2) he's coming off a great season & he's cheap.....two reasons that he'd demand a boatload in return.....

3) If Texas offered Olt & Moreland (supposedly finally healthy & geared for a breakout season) I'd think very hard about that

Lets look at the rest of our roster. I think it is a high possiblity that we trade Wolf., He is coming off a decent year, I think he has thrown 200+ innings the last few years. I am not saying we are going to get much but he could be our salary relief.

Wolf has some value. Look what teams were willing to pay Mark Buehrle and he's basically a slightly younger innings eater too. Personally I don't anticipate a trade. If K-Rod's accepting means they stop going after A-Ram, to me that is a good thing.

Not what was expected to happen, but not the end of the world. Late innings should be in great hands. Most likely not getting saddled with ARAM which I believe will be a good thing. Love the idea of Gamel & Green getting a shot. I am afraid the mighty Casey and Yuni will still be part of our lives. Not another year of will Hawkins/ Saito be healthy. Losing Prince was always going to be a big mountain to climb so our community can just blame baseball economics if the boys nose dive. Going to need to win with our good pitching staff and hopefully improved defense (one more time, PLEASE NO YUNI-- the numbers didn't lie Doug)

the trade Axford idea shouldn't be dismissed....

1) there's a reason he wasn't a can't miss prospect who fast-tracked to the majors.....what if he's the next Peter Ladd?

I don't even know who Peter Ladd is, but there are any number of closers who have had a good year or two and then implode...Turnbow comes to mind.

But, in any case, if they have both Axford and K-Rod all season there are a couple advantages. K-Rod as non-closer can be used whenever it makes the most sense. If Axford does melt down or has an injury, they have an alternative. Perhaps K-Rod can go two innings from time to time, such as when Axford had pitched 2 or 3 days in a row.

Given the Brewerfan.net love of our minor league players, this should be cause for celebration here as it makes it more likely you will see a lot of Green and Gamel.

I guess Melvin has new comments in the JS this morning saying Saito is basically gone.

Edit: Here it is: "We still like our ball club. We won last year because a lot of our strength was our starting pitching and bullpen. We've still got all five starters back and now we've got K-Rod, Axford, Loe and Estrada. We're losing Hawkins and Saito."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What's to prevent Melvin from trading Francisco Rodriguez, He doesn't necessarily have to trade him to someone looking for a closer. He could perhaps wait to see what happens in spring, which team has bullpen trouble due to injuries. Or perhaps go in completely the other direction, and try to sign Rodriguez to a longer term contract that is structured better and make him the closer, then shop Axford. Melvin probably could get a far better return for Axford since he's more affordable for more years than Rodriguez.

Not saying I want to trade Axford, but it is an option.

Heaven forbid they sign KRod to a long term deal.

I'm not sure Ax brings enough back in a trade, as obviously there isn't a great demand out there for closers (or KRod would be gone), so the fact that he is min wage only gets you so much more.

Yes, they could trade KRod. The fact that is it a 1 year deal and the fact a team doesn't give up a draft pick makes him more valuable, but I still think the Brewers have to kick in salary offset. And if you wait until a contender loses their closer, then the Brewers themselves would have a hole in their bullpen as you have to plan as if KRod is on the team the whole year and you don't try to keep Loe/Saito.

Archived