Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, they have a nice pitching staff but where are the runs going to come from?

Braun, Weeks, Hart and to a lesser extent Gamel & Morgan. It is not as if we have no offensive firepower. And I think the Brewers will sign Aramis Ramirez anyways and try to trade K-Rod

we might have trouble scoring runs but our back end of the bullpen are solid. I just can't see Krod accepting a set up role.
If he wouldn't accept a set-up role, then why did he accept arby? He's clearly about the money. If he wanted to close that badly, he would've declined and went elsewhere.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Try this for a silver lining: Because we're about to lose Fielder, the pressure to sign a slugger to a big-money contract this winter is tremendous. That would mean a multiyear contract for a risky and/or declining hitter. Ramirez and Rollins are the best options, and I don't love either one, plus they know the Brewers would pay a premium to try to make up for the loss of Prince.

The Brewers can't do that now. They're "stuck" giving substantial opportunities to young players. This could be a disaster, or it could work out fine. But by the end of this year we'll know something about what we have in Green, Gamel, and (to a lesser extent) Gindl, as well as, hopefully, sorting out some of our young relievers. At that point, Greinke, Marcum, and Rodriguez come off the books (unless one or more gets extended during the season), and we can plan our future with a clear head.

I'm not saying that financial inflexibility is good. I am saying that being stuck with one year of financial inflexibility may be preferable to locking ourselves in to three or four years of a burdensome commitment to a consolation prize for Fielder. Of course, even if I'm right about any of this, half of it flies out the window for me if we resign Yuni.

The silver lining is that this season is tanked, and we're wasting the last years of Marcum/Greinke by throwing out unproven players to test them out? You didn't make me feel any better. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Fielder did decline his arby per Haudricourt's post recent blog. I think Melvin most likely uttered a 4-letter word when he found out K-Rod was accepting followed by his obligatory 'and that'...he got owned here by Boras. Melvin said: “We know going in there was a little bit of risk,” said Melvin. “We’ve been frustrated over the years with the lack of draft picks we get (by not offering arbitration to free agents)."

This sets the team back in their plans. Expect Yuni back, McGehee/Green at 3B and Gamel at 1B. Sure, they have a nice pitching staff but where are the runs going to come from? And the defense Melvin wanted to improve? Unless you look at Gamel as an upgrade from Prince, they haven't done anything to shore that up.

My opinion: Cardinals run away with the division by 8-10 games anyways...but a very disheartening start to the off-season thus far.

Why should I expect that? because you assume there's no money for anyone else? I don't know why fans assume Doug Melvin and Mark A will sit on their butts now because of this when they clearly know that losing Fielder will hurt their offense, and when they need to upgrade positions on the field, they do so aggressively. Just look at what they did last off-season. That's what gives me hope. Other moves will be made to upgrade the team. I'm not yet concerned about it.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

hooray the best throw away phrase in baseball discussion, "unproven players".

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Melvin never expected Fielder to accept and he could be pretty sure K-Rod would accept so this all means nothing.
No way. If he thought K-Rod would accept, he'd have never offered.

There is no reason to think he would not accept for that money so I strongly disagree. Whether I think the move is smart or not is something else but there is no reason to think it was likely he would turn it down.

Try this for a silver lining: Because we're about to lose Fielder, the pressure to sign a slugger to a big-money contract this winter is tremendous. That would mean a multiyear contract for a risky and/or declining hitter. Ramirez and Rollins are the best options, and I don't love either one, plus they know the Brewers would pay a premium to try to make up for the loss of Prince.

The Brewers can't do that now. They're "stuck" giving substantial opportunities to young players. This could be a disaster, or it could work out fine. But by the end of this year we'll know something about what we have in Green, Gamel, and (to a lesser extent) Gindl, as well as, hopefully, sorting out some of our young relievers. At that point, Greinke, Marcum, and Rodriguez come off the books (unless one or more gets extended during the season), and we can plan our future with a clear head.

I'm not saying that financial inflexibility is good. I am saying that being stuck with one year of financial inflexibility may be preferable to locking ourselves in to three or four years of a burdensome commitment to a consolation prize for Fielder. Of course, even if I'm right about any of this, half of it flies out the window for me if we resign Yuni.

The silver lining is that this season is tanked, and we're wasting the last years of Marcum/Greinke by throwing out unproven players to test them out? You didn't make me feel any better. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
So you can't have a playoff-contending season with a rookie or two in your starting lineup? I just can't buy that.

Everyone 'round here was clamoring for Green to get brought up because

he was completely tearing up AAA and he inevitably was tons better than

McGehee. Now he's not? Almost ditto for the major-league readiness of

the best minor league hitting prospect we've had for the last 3-4 years,

Mat Gamel? For that matter, McGehee has zero chance of regaining his

'09 & '10 form?

No, none of those 3 guys are sure things. But I believe Melvin's logic is

right on, that any moves they make have to make sense both for this year

and 2-3 years down the road.

Melvin never expected Fielder to accept and he could be pretty sure K-Rod would accept so this all means nothing.
No way. If he thought K-Rod would accept, he'd have never offered.

There is no reason to think he would not accept for that money so I strongly disagree. Whether I think the move is smart or not is something else but there is no reason to think it was likely he would turn it down.

He could have gotten more total money with a multi-year deal and could have closed somewhere. Now he is risking an injury or a horrible season which may cost him more overall money plus he will be 1 year older. I expect him to be great for us this year, because he will be pitching for a multi-year closer deal next offseason.

"Just give me 25 guys on the last year of their contracts; I'll win a pennant every year."

-Sparky Anderson

There is a good reason to think there was a chance he could get a multi year elsewhere. There is not a good reason to expect it though. Melvin had to know there was a good chance he was staying when he offered arbitration, it certainly wasn't close to a forgone conclusion that he would sign elsewhere.

I think you're overstating your case Ennder.

I'm hoping that this doesn't matter too much one way or the other (unless it does providentially save us in hindsight from a bad contract to a declining veteran), because it's just one year. If Mark really wants to, he can say heck with it and expand the payroll for this year to account for this.

I'm more in Greg's court though, Gamel and Green need a shot.

The most surprising thing about this is K-Rod's ego is fine with being a setup man for an entire year.

Melvin is playing hardball with Boars re: Fielder...not making any offers that Boras can shop around to drive up the price, pretending to be moving on, etc. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for him, and the Brewers had already given Fielder a decent enough extension offer last year. The Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Diamondbacks, Reds, Braves, Rangers and Angels all have their 1B/DH positions pretty much filled, and the rest of the contending teams like the Giants don't have Fielder-like money (ironically, in the Giants' case, because they've been royally screwed by another Boras contract). Even marginal teams like the Royals and Indians pretty much have the position filled.

LOL @ the Orioles and the Mariners getting into a bidding war with us and handing out crazy enough money that Fielder would turn down another shot at a World Series just for an extra few million.

I can't help but wonder if Boras advised K.Rod to accept arbitration just to smite us...for not playing along with his little games where we can give out an offer and he can claim that his infamous "mystery team" has outbid us, and thus we must raise our offer lest Fielder go elsewhere. This doesn't seem to be the best decision for K Rod.

I am torn on what to think here.

1. In a monopoly money world, sweet. We stay with 7 inning games as the 8th (krod) and 9th (axford) will be very difficult for opposing teams to score in.

2. In the real world, D@#$! Our 8th inning guy is our 2nd highest paid player? Ummmmm, that seems odd. Seems like this is going to put a hamper on our whole off season. Bye bye Ramirez, bye bye anyone who costs anything. So Gamel at 1B is a lock, Green at 3B is a lock, McGehee to backup both is a lock. Yuni coming back .... probably a lock.

What about the possibility of trading K-Rod? (We did sign Gagne for a 1 year $10 million deal) ... I just find it hard to believe there isn't a team out there that wouldn't want a closer as good as K-rod.

Asked if obligation to K-Rod might stop interest in Aramis Ramirez, Melvin said, "Possibly. I'll take a look at it." Per Tom H twitter

This is Doug Melvin's way of not tipping his hand. He doesn't really say anything in this quote. Melvin is really good at saying a lot, but not really saying anything..

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2012 Team is below

Rounded to nearest half million dollars. Sign Gonzalez to play SS. Bring back Parra as a reliever. We have an awesome pitching staff. We need a back up middle infielder. We could non tender McGehee to save a couple of million, but for now, he's there.

It's $90.5 million, and you could probably easily trim a couple of million from my figures.

I can live with this club. It's a great staff. With the hitters, you're swapping Yuni for Gonzalez. That's a wash offensively. Then you swap McGehee's and Fielder's production for Green and Gamel. That's 50 HR between Fielder/McGehee and around an .810-820 OPS. I don't expect Green/Gamel to do that. But if they can play respectable. Maybe between .750-.800 OPS - that would be fine. Sure it's a risk, but you have to take those at times. Then we improve defensively at 3B, SS and 1B. That makes up (in theory) some of the lost offense. That leaves this team:

C - Lucroy - 0.5

C - Maldanado/Kotarras - 0.5

1B - Gamel - 0.5

2B - Weeks - 10

SS - Gonzalez - 3.0

3B - Green - 0.5

3B/1B - McGehee - 3.0

INF - ? - 1.0

LF - Braun - 6.0

CF - Morgan - 2.0

CF - Gomez - 2.0

RF - Hart - 9.0

OF - Gindl or Schafer - 0.5

SP - Marcum - 7.0

SP - Gallardo - 5.5

SP - Greinke - 13.5

SP - Narveson - 0.5

RP - Wolf - 9.5

RP - Axford - 0.5

RP - K-Rod - 10

RP - Loe - 3

RP - Parra - 1

RP - Braddock - 0.5

RP - Kintzler or a rookie - 0.5

RP - Estrada - 0.5

TOTAL: $90.5 million

EDIT: I removed Saito from my roster after seeing Melvin say "We're losing Hawkins and Saito."

Archived