Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04

Would anyone trade for him when they could have just signed him?

Probably not likely, unless the Brewers ate salary or if a playoff hopeful team with money loses their closer early in Spring Training. Maybe we can send Greinke's friends to play basketball with Mariano Rivera.

What we probably now have less than $10 million to spend on SS, 3B, and the remaining relievers?

If you work backwards, we were probably looking at $10-12MM for Ramirez, $2-3MM for Yuni and around $5MM for Hawkins/Saito, or around $19MM or so (which is quite a bit more than MLBtraderumors estimated). If K-Rod eats up $14MM, we'll probably have around $5MM to get a SS and possibly some bullpen arms and will likely have to forget about Aramis Ramirez and go with Green at 3B and Yuni at SS. This move really just went a long way towards screwing our 2012 season.

On a hopeful note, Alex Gonzalez only made $2.5MM in 2011, so there's a chance we could get him on a 1-year deal instead of Yuni, and we do have some young bullpen arms. With K-Rod and Axford along with starters who generally go 6+ innings, putting young, league minimum guys in the middle relief is a possibility.

And then there's that little rule of cutting K-Rod and paying him around $2.33MM. I'm sure Melvin has had a long conversation with Attanasio about this option.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. So the guy who was whining about not closing during a playoff run won't even test the market as a closer. This really sucks. To top it off, I can't stand watching him--so many heart attack outings. No draft picks.

Good things to come from this could be McGehee and Loe's non-tendering, and avoiding an A-Ram mistake.

And then there's that little rule of cutting K-Rod and paying him around $2.33MM. I'm sure Melvin has had a long conversation with Attanasio about this option.
If this is indeed the plan, then there's no reason the Brewers can't go $10M over their projected MLB payroll w/ K-Rod on it, then do the deed and be back at the exact same figure they were aiming for anyway.

So it'd still be quite possible that other solid signings can still occur. Too bad this cost us our chance at re-signing Hawkins, though.

I have second that ticking time bomb sentiment. He walked the razor's edge last season, I don't think he's that far from a Gagne, Turnbow, Hoffman, etc blow up.

Geez, this is epic fail by Doug especially if now we can't make other moves because of this.

He has been like that his entire career, though.

Wow. So the guy who was whining about not closing during a playoff run won't even test the market as a closer. This really sucks. To top it off, I can't stand watching him--so many heart attack outings. No draft picks.

Good things to come from this could be McGehee and Loe's non-tendering, and avoiding an A-Ram mistake.

I think he did test the market...and didn't like what he was hearing.

Well, I guess this answers my question from before. Wow. I gotta think that DM and MA have talked about this and have a reserve of money set up to spend on improving our infield. Either that or a trade will be observed. This is just the beginning.

I don't believe the $13-14 million dollar predictions that TH and others have used. The 80% rule does not apply in this situation. Melvin said the market has been established at $9 million (Bell), Boras will argue 12 million (Papelbon) and they will meet somewhere in the middle. My prediction 10.5 million.

Still really spendy for a set-up guy but he could be attractive in a trade for a team that doesn't want to commit long term to a closer. I just wish I could think of a team that would be interested.

I think he did test the market...and didn't like what he was hearing.

Good point.

This kind of reminds me of the time where the Cardinals acquired Rollie Fingers and Bruce Sutter in the span of a few days. They were able to flip Rollie to the Brewers within a day or so of acquiring Sutter. However this is different. Because K-Rod was a FA and any team could have had him, I'm guessing that he stays until at least Spring Training.

Boras seems to be wavering a little bit on whether or not he's going to accept. We shall see.

However unlikely, I've still got my fingers crossed he doesn't accept and we'll have both more available $$ and 2 more high '12 draft picks.

That said, besides SS and a proven mid-order bat, we also need to fill bullpen holes, so if K-Rod accepts, he does fill a major need . . . AND probably (hopefully?) wouldn't preclude re-signing Saito for <$2M. So if it goes that route, we still only truly have to address the SS & backup IF situations -- a <$4-5M(?) solution.

Probably not likely, unless the Brewers ate salary or if a playoff hopeful team with money loses their closer early in Spring Training. Maybe we can send Greinke's friends to play basketball with Mariano Rivera.

What we probably now have less than $10 million to spend on SS, 3B, and the remaining relievers?

If you work backwards, we were probably looking at $10-12MM for Ramirez, $2-3MM for Yuni and around $5MM for Hawkins/Saito, or around $19MM or so (which is quite a bit more than MLBtraderumors estimated). If K-Rod eats up $14MM, we'll probably have around $5MM to get a SS and possibly some bullpen arms and will likely have to forget about Aramis Ramirez and go with Green at 3B and Yuni at SS. This move really just went a long way towards screwing our 2012 season.

On a hopeful note, Alex Gonzalez only made $2.5MM in 2011, so there's a chance we could get him on a 1-year deal instead of Yuni, and we do have some young bullpen arms. With K-Rod and Axford along with starters who generally go 6+ innings, putting young, league minimum guys in the middle relief is a possibility.

How does the $2.33M thing work?

I gotta think that DM and MA have talked about this and have a reserve of money set up to spend on improving our infield.

I think it was bucksman who mentioned Melvin's earlier quote where he said he hadn't really thought of the possibility that K-Rod would accept arby. I saw this quote as well, and I think this really took the Brewers by surprise. Now they have to shift gears. I think this move costs us Ramirez, who looked like he was going to sign with Milwaukee, and we'll now go with rookies at 1B & 3B. Rollins' agent had already cancelled an appointment with Melvin, so he was probably out regardless. Furcal is probably now out (if he was ever a possibility), so we're probably going to see either Yuni or Alex Gonzalez at SS for around $2-3MM.

Again, this is based on this rumor being true and on the Brewers not cutting K-Rod next spring. If we cut him, we could probably still sign Ramirez, and the $2.3MM would either mean we would have a little less for the bullpen, or we may not be able to make a mid-season salary acquisition. I guess we won't have to pay a signing bonus for that extra 1st rounder and Supplemental pick, so maybe that's where the $2.3MM would be deducted out of the budget :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How does the $2.33M thing work?

Arby is not guaranteed until the season, just 1/6th of it, so I'm guessing closer to $2M.

I don't see Doug doing that though, that would be embarrassing for him to take on $2M of unnecessary dead money that he could have just avoided by declining.

I like this if they can add Saito the Bullpen should be ok . I kinda believe that Yuni will be back as our SS and they will find Green at 3rd and Gamel @ ist.

I don't see the Brewers are going with the youngsters and add a veteran bench.

I think it was bucksman who mentioned Melvin's earlier quote where he said he hadn't really thought of the possibility that K-Rod would accept arby. I saw this quote as well, and I think this really took the Brewers by surprise.
From Journal Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/s...t-7v3bdq0-135143673.html

The Brewers already have limited money available to fill several holes and Rodriguez could be a budget-buster.

"That hasn't really been part of our thinking but it probably should be," said general manager Doug Melvin. "Obviously, it would affect what you do in other things but he'd fill a hole that we have right now, too."

The Brewers

certainly don't want to invest that much in a setup man, but Melvin

noted Axford isn't making big money yet ($442,500) and hasn't reached

the arbitration stage.

I don't see Doug doing that though, that would be embarrassing for him to take on $2M of unnecessary dead money that he could have just avoided by declining.

I guess I don't see it this way. They took a risk by offering it and it didn't work out. I'd rather just look at the $2 MM as sunk cost and move on. Not the end of the world, but I wish we would've used that for JHJ or something else.

I really hope the plan isn't to keep KRod. That would be embarassing IMO.

that's not every dollar---surely the brewers had a budget for late inning closers, and i'm guessing krod just ate all of it...so no hawkins and no saito...but i'm sure the brewers had budgeted at least 7-8 million for reliever...so there over budget on relievers, but not by as much as it would seem
I'm sure they have a budget for the other areas as well like SS and 3B. I think it's premature to say that K-Rod accepting arby will affect the Brewers ability to sign a player like Ramirez or a player like Furcal or both for that matter. Mark A said last off-season that he has adopted a new payroll philosophy of letting talent dictate payroll.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I think K-Rod certainly made this bed for himself with his 'If I'm not closing I'm not happy' comments last season. He didn't factor in that there are several other closer options out there on this FA market, with some being better options.

This definitely seems like a good problem for the Brewers to have. K-Rod has zero leg to stand on if he whines at any point about closing/not closing, so the Brewers could just tell him to shut up if that happens. I'd imagine there will be several teams contacting DM about possibly trading for Rodriguez over the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am glad if we keep KRod, especially with the way our idiot manager refuses to adjust his bullpen use at all. He is going to use someone to pitch every 8th inning for the whole inning and every 9th inning for the whole inning. KRod + Ax will be around $12M at the most, we just just paid Eric Gagne $10M for nothing and that didn't kill us. This also may force Melvin to go with Green at 3rd even though he seems to think that would be automatic doom for the team instead of over paying for Ramirez who will underproduce, get hurt and block Green.

Archived