Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's not every dollar---surely the brewers had a budget for late inning closers, and i'm guessing krod just ate all of it...so no hawkins and no saito...but i'm sure the brewers had budgeted at least 7-8 million for reliever...so there over budget on relievers, but not by as much as it would seem

On one hand we would have one hell of an 8th and 9th inning duo; on the other hand we now have no money to fill some glaring holes. If Krod stays on the team Doug is going to have to get creative with trades to fix the left side of the infield. What we probably now have less than $10 million to spend on SS, 3B, and the remaining relievers?

I honestly cant fault them for offering arbitration to KRod. He seemed unhappy simply being a set up man. He seemed to have a chance to get a multi-year deal. Would anyone trade for him when they could have just signed him?

So with K-Rod in the fold at say 12 million, where exactly does that put our salaries at? If they wanted to sign Ramirez, they'd have to shed payroll from somewhere right? Wolf maybe? Pretty stunned he would sign on for another year to be a setup guy, especially after he complained about being a setup guy and seemed to really want to get saves. I wonder what the plan looked like with him in the fold. Ugh.

Ha. The funniest part is recalling a question Melvin was answering the other day along the lines of "what would you do if K-Rod accepts arby?" Melvin's response was along the lines of "we haven't really considered that...maybe we should." I'm paraphrasing, but those were his sentiments. This changes everything.

Why did we offer K-Rod arbitration? This seems like a terrible mistake. We're spending $10-12 mil on a shaky 8th inning guy, ughhhhhh...

Because at the time we were expecting 2 draft picks for a guy who said he didnt want to be a set up man. The odds of him accepting did not seem high at all

How does this impact things? well, I'd imagine that Parra may get non-tendered now, Saito may not be brought back, and Hawkins is already gone. In those three we'll be saving probably at least $5-6 million. The bullpen will likely now include McClendon and Braddock, along with perhaps other cheap options.

We can still trade him guys. It's not like he's locked in to the roster.

What team still needs a closer?

I dreaded his 8th innings with my stomach in knots. It's like he's a ticking timebomb just waiting to explode. He let's a guy on base nearly every inning he pitches, going late into counts and putting the ball in play a lot. I was always nervous and I think that will catch up with him this year. I just hope it's not with him on our roster.

carniesandrubes wrote:

trwi7 wrote:

And if they trade him they'll be asked to pay for a huge chunk of his salary most likely. Glad I went to every playoff game last year as it's going to be a long drought before the next one...

How do you know? The last reliever I can recall that accepted arbitration was Rafael Soriano. The Braves traded him to the Rays for Jesse Chavez. I don't think the Braves picked up any salary. They didn't get much in return but they freed up money.

I have second that ticking time bomb sentiment. He walked the razor's edge last season, I don't think he's that far from a Gagne, Turnbow, Hoffman, etc blow up.

Geez, this is epic fail by Doug especially if now we can't make other moves because of this.

I have second that ticking time bomb sentiment. He walked the razor's edge last season, I don't think he's that far from a Gagne, Turnbow, Hoffman, etc blow up.

Geez, this is epic fail by Doug especially if now we can't make other moves because of this.

Yeah, unfortunately, I can envision a 4-5 ERA next year from K-Rod. I was looking forward to him being off the team and getting those picks.

Hmm, things are getting interesting. He's not getting traded, not getting cut, he'll be a Brewer opening day and I'm ok with that. Sometimes you take calculated risks. This one didn't turn out like they planned obviously, but he's still a very good reliever. It also probably means we'll be forced to rely on a few more young players which I'm good with.

carniesandrubes wrote:

trwi7 wrote:

And if they trade him they'll be asked to pay for a huge chunk of his salary most likely. Glad I went to every playoff game last year as it's going to be a long drought before the next one...

How do you know? The last reliever I can recall that accepted arbitration was Rafael Soriano. The Braves traded him to the Rays for Jesse Chavez. I don't think the Braves picked up any salary. They didn't get much in return but they freed up money.

I agree. I don't think there's much chance he's a brewer on opening day. Not ideal, but not a total disaster. Not yet anyway.

If he is a brewer on opening day I'll change my tune.

I'm also hoping this leads to a McGhee DFA.

I dreaded his 8th innings with my stomach in knots. It's like he's a ticking timebomb just waiting to explode. He let's a guy on base nearly every inning he pitches, going late into counts and putting the ball in play a lot. I was always nervous and I think that will catch up with him this year. I just hope it's not with him on our roster.
He made me nervous, too, but the fact is that he delivered successfully almost every single time for the Brewers. He's human and, like anyone, will blow a game or 2 along the way. But his performance last year as a Brewer I find very encouraging.

I don't like at all the financial implications of him accepting (if that's indeed the case -- so long to any truly good shortstop for 2012!). But we've still got 2 proven closers, so we've still likely accomplished turning most games into 7-inning affairs with 2 shutdown to handle the 8th & 9th. That's still gotta take some pressure off the rest of the bullpen . . . and . . .

**bright spot**

. . . it keeps Kameron Loe out of most crucial 8th inning situations!

I don't think you can call this an epic failure on December 7th.

Doug definitely could trade the guy; granted we wouldn't get much of a return and might have to eat some salary; but some benefit could come from this.

Krod has just as good of odds of posting a sub 3.0 ERA than he does imploding and going above 5.0; no way you can predict how he will do.

Archived