Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might make the most sense financially for KRod to accept Arby's, but I think he really wants to close and his ego will get in the way.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I think the option of cutting him may have to happen if he accepts. It also may make him just decline it and go for a closer's job.

I would think the Brewers could trade him for just about anything before they cut him.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think the option of cutting him may have to happen if he accepts. It also may make him just decline it and go for a closer's job.

I would think the Brewers could trade him for just about anything before they cut him.

Why would they do this? Trading him means you have to sign him and likely eat a bit of that salary. Cutting him means you pay 1/6th of the salary. It makes no economical sense to try to trade him unless you think teams will value him at the arbitration salary (which clearly, they don't)

I was just going to say, I think people are freaking out a bit over nothing. K-Rod on a one year deal should still have pretty good value. They could trade him (possibly eating maybe a third of his salary) and still get a good prospect or something in return. Not the ideal situation, but I don't think it wrecks the off-season if he accepts, like some have been predicting.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why would they do this? Trading him means you have to sign him and likely eat a bit of that salary. Cutting him means you pay 1/6th of the salary. It makes no economical sense to try to trade him unless you think teams will value him at the arbitration salary (which clearly, they don't)

You might not have to eat any salary to trade him. Didn't this happen to Rafael Soriano a few year ago? K-Rod might be much more attractive to some teams on a 1 year deal than a multi-year deal. Even if the Brewers don't get anything back, it's better than eating 1/6 of his salary.

If he pitched as he did last year (though it was often white fingers on the dash), this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world with the shutdown 8th/9th on paper. However, at that salary, he'd almost certainly have to be moved. Didn't the Brewers go to arby with Vargas a few years ago, and then dumped him right before the season started? Perhaps the new CBA changed that. Maybe if he accepts, they can flip him for Carlos Lee, Brett Myers and about 15 million, then trade Wolf to make up most of the rest of the money.

The Brewers could cut him prior to Spring Training and only pay him 1/6th of the contract if I am not mistaken. So if it comes to that and Melvin can't trade him we could cut him and only have to pay between $2 and $3 Million

It just sucks because Krod is holding the Brewers hostage until he decides whether or not to accept arby. So until Melvin knows one way or the other sometime tomorrow I doubt he signs any big deals. We only have to wait one more day but you would hate for that wait to cost us a chance at a good player.

The Brewers could cut him prior to Spring Training and only pay him 1/6th of the contract if I am not mistaken. So if it comes to that and Melvin can't trade him we could cut him and only have to pay between $2 and $3 Million

This, then. Regardless this was a huge risk to take for a couple of extra draft choices.

Not that draft choices aren't epically important to rebuilding organizational depth, but this should be another hard lesson about expecting some great draft choice compensation when working with these rental players. Hopefully the new CBA means an end to the rental market, but while some teams have had great success with compensation picks, the Brewers haven't. I fully expect K-Rod to decline arby, I don't remember a single Boras client whom hasn't, but if he were to accept arby and Fielder would sign with a bottom 15 team, while the MLB team would be alright organization building would take another significant hit.

I like Seid, though I think he has quite a bit to prove yet, but it's tough for him to replenish depth with supplemental round and an extra 2nd round pick. The Brewers historically haven't had much success with compensation picks. I'm still holding out hope for Davis and Frederickson though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not that long ago we paid Eric Gagne $10MM for 1 year of absolute garbage, and we made the playoffs. KRod pitched well for us and would really help us at the back end of games. Even if we are overpaying we should see good on field production, its not like he is Casey McGehee who will be on the roster and see significant action while being the worst player in the league.

he Brewers could cut him prior to Spring Training and only pay him 1/6th

of the contract if I am not mistaken. So if it comes to that and Melvin

can't trade him we could cut him and only have to pay between $2 and $3

Million

I don't understand this thinking. Pay him $3 million to not be on the team? This guy, in my opinion, was as important as anyone in the run to the playoffs. He was a shutdown bullpen guy and I'd be thrilled to have him back next season when the bullpen will be even more important that it was last season. Yeah the money sucks but it's only a year. You're going to pay him $3 million, cut him, then pay someone else $3 or $4 million? Why? If Melvin would actually allow his young guys (Gamel and Green) to play the money saved would help offset they money he has to pay KRod.

Even if K-Rod accepts the arbitration it doesn't matter. It is non guaranteed, so the Brewers could cut him.

There is no scenario where they'd end up just cutting him. None. Even if they inked Fielder or Reyes and needed the salary room, there would be plenty of suitors for K-Rod with just a one year commitment. If they don't sign either Fielder or Reyes, they certainly can handle a one year deal for K-Rod to fill a setup role that is currently not filled.

None? Really? You wouldn't cut him to save $10-$11 million?

You think there would be a ton of suitors for K-Rod at $13-$14 million for one year? Why? Mets had to eat the entire cost last year to trade him. If you think there's such a big market for him, why can't he fetch a one year $13 million deal in the open market and get a closing job that he really wants?

There's no scenario in which they'd just trade him. It's either cut or keep.

Even if K-Rod accepts the arbitration it doesn't matter. It is non guaranteed, so the Brewers could cut him.

There is no scenario where they'd end up just cutting him. None. Even if they inked Fielder or Reyes and needed the salary room, there would be plenty of suitors for K-Rod with just a one year commitment. If they don't sign either Fielder or Reyes, they certainly can handle a one year deal for K-Rod to fill a setup role that is currently not filled.

You think there would be a ton of suitors for K-Rod at $13-$14 million for one year? Why? Mets had to eat the entire cost last year to trade him. If you think there's such a big market for him, why can't he fetch a one year $13 million deal in the open market and get a closing job that he really wants?

You wouldn't save $10-11 million cutting him. With no K-Rod, no Saito, and no Hawkins it will take at least $10 million to rebuild the entire bullpen. If they had K-Rod even at $13 million, they could take a risk on the Kintzlers, Fiers, De la Cruzes, and Mclendons and minimum wage guys to cover the 6th and 7th innings and still have the best 8th and 9th inning combo in the NL. You non-tender Loe also, saving another $2.5 million and Parra for another $1.2 million and it's basically a wash.

Then in July, when the Brewers are out of it, which they will likely be with no Fielder, teams will be all over them for K-Rod when they only have to pay 1/3 of his total salary.

I know it's hard to think a little out of the box, but it's something that Melvin and company need to do.

You wouldn't save $10-11 million cutting him. With no K-Rod, no Saito, and no Hawkins it will take at least $10 million to rebuild the entire bullpen. If they had K-Rod even at $13 million, they could take a risk on the Kintzlers, Fiers, De la Cruzes, and Mclendons and minimum wage guys to cover the 6th and 7th innings and still have the best 8th and 9th inning combo in the NL. You non-tender Loe also, saving another $2.5 million and Parra for another $1.2 million and it's basically a wash.

Then in July, when the Brewers are out of it, which they will likely be with no Fielder, teams will be all over them for K-Rod when they only have to pay 1/3 of his total salary.

I know it's hard to think a little out of the box, but it's something that Melvin and company need to do.

Thinking out of the box = overpaying for a relief pitcher and staffing it with a bunch of unproven arms? I don't think Melvin has trouble staffing bullpens as ours was one of the best last year.

And yes, you do save $10-$11 million by cutting him. Paying 1/6th his salary = saving $10-$11 million. Any person who replaces him will like cost at tops $2-$3 million so that's still a net of $8-$9million. Or, alternatively, Melvin could "think outside the box" and use a young unproven arm to fill that role.

A bullpen of K-Rod + Axford and a bunch of unproven arms would be a disaster.

I like Seid, though I think he has quite a bit to prove yet, but it's tough for him to replenish depth with supplemental round and an extra 2nd round pick. The Brewers historically haven't had much success with compensation picks. I'm still holding out hope for Davis and Frederickson though.

LHP Evan Frederickson, a mega-bust of a sandwich pick in '08, was released last March. That's some serious hope http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Thinking out of the box = overpaying for a relief pitcher and staffing it with a bunch of unproven arms? I don't think Melvin has trouble staffing bullpens as ours was one of the best last year.

And yes, you do save $10-$11 million by cutting him. Paying 1/6th his salary = saving $10-$11 million. Any person who replaces him will like cost at tops $2-$3 million so that's still a net of $8-$9million. Or, alternatively, Melvin could "think outside the box" and use a young unproven arm to fill that role.

A bullpen of K-Rod + Axford and a bunch of unproven arms would be a disaster.

How is that any more of a disaster than paying for a much worse 8th inning guy and then having to fill the 6th and 7th with expensive vets? We saw the effect of having just such a guy in the 8th inning with Loe last year who lost 7 games in the first half. The are paying a ton for this rotation. You should expect 7 innings out of them a good portion of the time anyway. Young relievers emerge all the time all over baseball. I'm sure one or two of the guys they have now could too.

Thinking out of the box = overpaying for a relief pitcher and staffing

it with a bunch of unproven arms? I don't think Melvin has trouble

staffing bullpens as ours was one of the best last year.

Cutting Francisco Rodriguez is so absurd a thought to me I can't believe people are even bringing it up. I'm not saying that if KRod comes back the bullpen is set, but it certainly helps. Sign Takashi Saito and you pretty much have a bullpen. Braddock and Parra will be possibilities. Marco Estrada is likely. Loe is likely. De La Cruz and McClendon held their own last year. Kintzler wasn't bad. Fiers is a possibility, though with the success he had as a starter I'd like to see him get a shot starting. I think the bullpen will be fine if KRod is back assuming one more vet is signed.

You non-tender Loe also, saving another $2.5 million and Parra for another $1.2 million and it's basically a wash.

I'm not ready to give up on either of these guys. Loe was overworked early on last year. But his post all star break ERA was 1.93. And he had an excellent year in 2010. I'd be more than happy to have him back as well, especially now that Roenecke knows how to use him. As for Parra, he was just finding him comfort zone in the bullpen before he got hurt. He still has good stuff and he's still left handed. I'd like to see what he has left.

i think the mets signing rauch and franciso hurts us, but I hoping that KRod sees there is a open closer job in San Diego and does not accept.

EDIT: just saw that the padres are close to getting Houston Street which would eliminate another closers job, not looking good...

Archived