Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
I'm happy to have K-Rod back. It's big late inning insurance for us, and I do feel that "idiot-proofing" the 8th/9th for Roenicke probably saves us more wins than sabermetrics can measure, as he demonstrated last season before we acquired K-Rod.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't see being concerned about Axford, other than most relievers seem to have very modest shelf lives as big name guys. So I'd figure he might blow a few more saves next year just because of regression to the mean. Stack the pen with as many quality guys as possible, so no one gets overworked because the manager only trusts a couple of guys in games that could lead to a save situation.

Well, I admit I just froze for a split-second when I saw this headline: Angels Sign Francisco Rodriguez

I thought maybe there was some wrinkle to the new CBA that I hadn't heard about yet. But thankfully MLBTR will usually include a player's Baseball-Reference page in the text of their articles...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand him being upset about the NTC thing, but at the same time, his representation is blowing a lot of hot air as well. From that USA Today article linked in TH's blog post:

"He's going to lose a lot of money; the question is whether it's seven figures or eight figures," said Johnson, who accused the Wasserman Group of reneging after promising at least $1 million in damages before the mediation hearing. "There's long-term damage to his career. He wasn't even in position to be marketed as a closer last winter. They really (messed) with his career in a monumental way."

Okay, buddy. He wasn't in position to be marketed as a closer after half a season as a setup guy? He CHOSE to accept arbitration. He wasn't in position to be marketed as a closer, because nobody wanted to give him a big multi-year deal with a guarantee to close. That has nothing to do with the fact that he set up one of the league's best closers last year, that has to do with the fact that he's not nearly as good as he used to be.

K-Rod was at least saying all the right things when he reported to camp last Friday (later than the other pitchers due to personal issues), but it's hard to not think this stuff is coming from a genuine place -

“I’m excited,” he said. “It’s a new chapter in my life. I’m looking forward to once again being back there on the field.”

Is he surprised to be back?

“No,” Rodriguez insisted. “A lot of people were shocked and surprised, but for me, no. I had a really great experience last year in Milwaukee. The organization opened [its] arms to me for three and a half months and made me feel so special. The fans, the way they treated my family. I liked the city. That was something that I was looking for, so my decision was a lot easier when I had to make it.”

It was suggested that people were surprised because they assumed Rodriguez would seek a closer’s job, rather than accept arbitration and return as the Brewers’ setup man.

“We tried. I tried. I definitely tried,” he said. “We had a couple of options, but I’ve been in this situation and it’s not about money-wise. It’s about feeling comfortable and being happy, where you want to be.”

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Okay, buddy. He wasn't in position to be marketed as a closer after half a season as a setup guy? He CHOSE to accept arbitration. He wasn't in position to be marketed as a closer, because nobody wanted to give him a big multi-year deal with a guarantee to close. That has nothing to do with the fact that he set up one of the league's best closers last year, that has to do with the fact that he's not nearly as good as he used to be.

I agree in theory, but if two pitchers have exactly the same season stats-wise, but one was used as a closer and racked up a bunch of saves, while one was used in middle relief, the one who got the saves will get a bigger contract. I'd guess that teams were using his 2011 circumstances against him in negotiations, trying to get him to sign a lower-dollar-value deal, and that's why he's suing his former agent.

I don't like that we're paying him so much money, but it's a done deal, so I hope it works out for the best for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived