Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04

The contract now becomes guaranteed, there was incentive on both sides to get this done, had the Brewer cut him in March there is ZERO chance he could have approached this money, hell Madson got $8.5, who would you rather have?

This saves the Brewers almost $5 million which they can use to pay their Japanese import http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We wouldn't trade him unless we were out at the deadline. Just leaves the option open. Unless someone blew us away with an offer I guess. I don't see that happening though.

If someone's closer get hurt in ST, I could see him being moved then.

Maybe all the closers that have signed for less money than "normal" gave the Brewers some leverage in arby?

It's still too much but $8M is very very reasonable. This actually makes him very tradable as well, since I'm sure he would have had a lot of suitors on the free market if he was looking for 1 year $8M.

If so, then why accept arbitration in the first place?

Since it sounds like an additional wild card will be added for this coming season, that makes the Brewers being "out of it" even more unlikely, even if Braun is suspended. So the Brewers would pretty much have to tank before the trade deadline to even consider trading K-Rod. Unless, of course, a team suffers an injury at closer. Even at that I can't see the Brewers giving K-Rod away though.
Follow me on Twitter

This is certainly good news from the Brewers' perspective. I'd guess Madson's deal gave the Brewers some leverage, but I agree with others that there are probably some incentives in the deal.

Just a thought, but it's possible that the Brewers have a trade in the works, and K-Rod was willing to sign this deal so the Brewers could trade him to a team which would use him as a closer. Why trade him? Because the Brewers are way over budget and still have some roster holes to fill, plus they'd probably be able to get a decent return for K-Rod on a 1 year/$8MM contract.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The most dominant aspect of this team relative to the rest of the NL is it's late inning relief and it comes at a price tag that is very reasonable. There's no reason to trade K-Rod unless they are out of it or unless someone is willing to give up a young middle of the rotation starter.

I was expecting a deal in the $10-11 million range. The $8 million should leave room to give Aoki around $3 million and get that deal done.

From a friend "Better than 11-13 million, but hard to call that a bargain when Madson signed for 9.5 million." I think K-Rod for $8m is much better than Madson for $9.5m. What am I missing?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I can't believe that KRod didn't just go to arbitration. It would seem to me that $8M would be his floor at arby.

Yes, it is all guaranteed now, but in what scenario would the Brewers have just cut ties with him during camp without an injury which would have made them on the hook anyways?

So I am still leery that there is some incentives/bonuses that may not have been reported yet.

The most dominant aspect of this team relative to the rest of the NL is it's late inning relief and it comes at a price tag that is very reasonable. There's no reason to trade K-Rod unless they are out of it or unless someone is willing to give up a young middle of the rotation starter.

How about a promising, young reliever and a high-ceiling AA prospect? Or a good, young near-MLB-ready SS? K-Rod at $8MM opens up a lot of options not available with K-Rod at $14MM.

I really like the Brewers' late inning relief with K-Rod & Axford. However, without inside knowledge of the Brewers' finances, I can't say whether or not they can afford their current obligations without the owners dipping into their own pockets, which they might not want to do. Or, as you mentioned, now that K-Rod is on a seemingly good contract, some team in need of a "proven closer" might be willing to give up good, young talent. Melvin would then have to decide whether a potential extra win or two this season is worth that good, young talent.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I can't believe that KRod didn't just go to arbitration. It would seem to me that $8M would be his floor at arby.

Yes, it is all guaranteed now, but in what scenario would the Brewers have just cut ties with him during camp without an injury which would have made them on the hook anyways?

So I am still leery that there is some incentives/bonuses that may not have been reported yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Brewers told K-Rod and Boras that if they won arby and were awarded 11-12 million, they would cut K-Rod. K-Rod would have then gotten a fraction of the money he won in arby, and what team would have signed him and at the price they'd want? So K-Rod and Boras might have thought that 8 million guaranteed is better than the alternative. This also makes him much more tradeable if it comes to that too.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wonder if this opens up more of a possibility that Prince could be signed for one year too.

I almost wrote this above, but put it in blue, but decided I didn't want to open that door... PF is not going to sign for one year. Before that happens, he will sign a deal with a 3 year "out" clause to allow him to get the "long term" deal, but still get another chance at a huge deal later. Too much crow to eat before PF or Boras signs a 1 year.

Apologies if this has been posted already, but per McCalvy:

According to the AP, starter Shaun Marcum requested $8.7 million in arbitration and the Brewers offered $6.75 million. Marcum earned $4.05 million last season and was Milwaukee’s most reliable starting pitcher before a late-season swoon. The right-hander is entering his final season before free agency, but the sides have discussed only a one-year agreement.

Reliever Jose Veras, acquired in December from the Pirates for third baseman Casey McGehee, filed for $2.375 million and the Brewers offered $2 million, according to the AP. McGehee, incidentally, filed for $2.725 million and the Pirates offered $2.35 million.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How about a promising, young reliever and a high-ceiling AA prospect? Or a good, young near-MLB-ready SS? K-Rod at $8MM opens up a lot of options not available with K-Rod at $14MM.

I really like the Brewers' late inning relief with K-Rod & Axford. However, without inside knowledge of the Brewers' finances, I can't say whether or not they can afford their current obligations without the owners dipping into their own pockets, which they might not want to do. Or, as you mentioned, now that K-Rod is on a seemingly good contract, some team in need of a "proven closer" might be willing to give up good, young talent. Melvin would then have to decide whether a potential extra win or two this season is worth that good, young talent.

Given the current make up of the roster, especially signing Aramis, both Melvin and Attanasio have clearly decided that they intend to try and land a playoff berth next season. So the only chance i could see them moving K-Rod is at the deadline and then only if the team had played so poorly that a playoff berth was pretty much out of the equation.

If I was going to trade him I would look for a LOOGY and a prospect. I'd rather have KRod but if I had to cut salary, that is how I would do it for this team.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I really hope he isn't traded, unless it's during the season and the Brewers are out of it. The bullpen was awesome last year after he came over. If they still had Hawkins and Saito I could see trading him, but not now.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Brewers told K-Rod and Boras that if they won arby and were awarded 11-12 million, they would cut K-Rod. K-Rod would have then gotten a fraction of the money he won in arby, and what team would have signed him and at the price they'd want? So K-Rod and Boras might have thought that 8 million guaranteed is better than the alternative. This also makes him much more tradeable if it comes to that too.
Unless you assume KRod would have received less than $6.5M on a single year contract on the free market, he would have made more money (and possibly chosen where to go) by: going to arby, getting cut and making the Brewers pay 1/6 (is this still correct after the new CBA?) of the arby settlement.

Unless you assume KRod would have received less than $6.5M on a single year contract on the free market, he would have made more money (and possibly chosen where to go) by: going to arby, getting cut and making the Brewers pay 1/6 (is this still correct after the new CBA?) of the arby settlement.
How do we know they weren't offered such a contract and they turned it down? They may have figured that even if they didn't win an arby case, they'd still get a higher salary from the Brewers for one year.

But say that K-Rod did go to arby, won, and was essentially cut. The question then becomes: what team needs a closer and what team would be willing to spend, hypothetically, $6.5M on him? I don't know that there are any teams who would do that and I can't envision a non-contending team signing him. So again, which option is better: 1. Taking a guaranteed $8M from the Brewers to be a set-up man, or 2. Going to arby, winning the hearing and, in all likelihood, being cut and making $2M with no guarantee that another team will sign you to a deal that will make up for what you would have lost by signing for "less" with the Brewers? It appears Boras and K-Rod played this one safe in order to guarantee K-Rod a respectable salary and to potentially save face in the process.

Follow me on Twitter

I think we need to keep K Rod, there is something about Axford that still scares me and if he tanks K Rod can take over the closer role. I was shocked that K Rod signed for only $8 million.

Sorry dude but I don't know how you can still be scared about Axford, especially over KRod. Axford's been solid for 2 years now and there's a reason teams weren't rushing out to sign KRod. I think KRod is a solid 8th inning guy and I'm glad we have him for this year but he's not what he used to be. That being said, it is nice to have a guy like him in case something happens to Axford. I just don't think anybody should be scared that Axford will suddenly implode after 2 great years (at least no moreso than any other player).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived