Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Offer Arby to Prince and Krod

brewmann04
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really see this as a huge disaster. It's only one year, and between Axford and KRod, the average we're spending on both of those guys would be like $7MM apiece. I think together, they'll provide that much value. We were going to spend at least $3MM on Hawkins anyways, and KRod is significantly better. Not $10MM better, but still.

I feel like we're going to re-sign Fielder anyway. Melvin's been bluffing and playing hardball all along. Going after Rollins and/or Aramais were as much of a decoy as a backup plan. The truth is that there isn't another team out there that has a shot at the playoffs any time soon that wants Fielder besides the Brewers. I don't think Fielder's the type of guy who would take a few million extra to play on a losing team. He wants a ton of money...otherwise he would have never hired Boras as his agent. But he's got to be thinking about going back to the playoffs as well, and no team with playoff hopes next year is really all that interested in him. The Blue Jays are the closes thing, but other than that, the Mariners and the Orioles are the only other teams I've seen expressing serious interest.

There is absolutely no way we sign Fielder. K-Rod accepting arby only makes it more of a slam dunk that we won't. He's as good as gone. Only a matter of time. It's already been reported that the payroll won't go over $95 million. K-Rod will put it up to $80 million minimum, and then we will struggle to fill the roster and keep it under 95. Signing Fielder is virtually impossible now. Only way to make it happen would be to trade away not just one, but probably 2-3 high paid players. Won't happen.

I don't know. I don't think the Brewers are going to let one season's budget dictate who is on the team for the next 5-6 years...at least I hope not.

Thanks for the Cot's info Logan. I would certainly like this a lot more if we can get him for $8-9MM or so. I don't know how likely that is, but it's good to know that it's a possibility.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes, I read that at another source, as well. Definitely true that they can offer as much or as little as they want.

Well you know, he didn't save any games after joining the Brewers last season... which means he probably lost his magic pixie dust that allows him to save games. So, what -- $3M or so & let's call it a day?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Teams interested in K-Rod. Doesn't mean #Brewers will trade him. Story here: http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker...od/8623972?new_post=true #MLB
per Ken Rosenthal on twitter
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Teams interested in K-Rod. Doesn't mean #Brewers will trade him. Story here: http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker...od/8623972?new_post=true #MLB
per Ken Rosenthal on twitter

still not as good as getting 2 draft picks. If the brewers can sign a decent 1st or 3rd baseman FA, get K-Rod off of the books, sign a decent reliever, and get a prospect back, i think is the best case scenario.

I'm not against having him back, even if he's more expensive than other setup men. KRod is also better than most other setup men. As long as the salary isn't truly excessive, I think the Brewers can live with the results.

Robert

I think we should trade him, sign Ramirez, and sign a different setup man. Then we'll be good. K-Rod doesn't wanna be a setup man anyway. Melvin said he'd talk to him about it, and I'm pretty sure if he knows he has the chance to close, he'll take it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That was a good, informative article by Rosenthal. I would guess that K-Rod would have a lot of trade value at 1 year, $9-10MM.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Don't you have to kind of use the 2011 trade that sent him to the Brewers as a barometer? He's available for twice as long and there isn't that terrifying vesting option to worry about. At that point in time his value was about $4M for half a year, so I would think now he'd be worth about $8M for a whole year + value for not having a vesting option so about $10M is what I think he'd be worth on a 1 year deal. Whatever his real value is, it has to be lower than the $12M or whatever he is projected to make in arbitration, because he would have just signed a 1 year contract for that much somewhere else to close. Therefore his trade value is a salary dump. Whatever prospects we get back, we will just be buying with money we send with KRod.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I think the Brewers should keep K-Rod unless given a great trade offer for him. He has value. No reason to just give him away for nothing. We could have gotten 2 first round picks if he had declined Arby, and if keeping him we have one of the best 8th inning guys in MLB.

I agree that we better not trade him for "salary relief" ... that would be stupid. He is a very good pitcher and makes our team better. I only trade him for a great offer. In all honesty it would have to be something like Hanley for K-rod or I just don't do it. Have 2 studs in the 8/9 innings will be a huge positive for us.

Don't you have to kind of use the 2011 trade that sent him to the Brewers as a barometer? He's available for twice as long and there isn't that terrifying vesting option to worry about. At that point in time his value was about $4M for half a year, so I would think now he'd be worth about $8M for a whole year + value for not having a vesting option so about $10M is what I think he'd be worth on a 1 year deal. Whatever his real value is, it has to be lower than the $12M or whatever he is projected to make in arbitration, because he would have just signed a 1 year contract for that much somewhere else to close. Therefore his trade value is a salary dump. Whatever prospects we get back, we will just be buying with money we send with KRod.

Not quite the same type or level of salary dump for the trade that brought him Milwaukee. He had a clause w/the Mets that would have forced them to pick up an option that would h have paid him $17 Million for 2012 if he finished X number of games. The Mets couldn't just not let him close to avoid the option or the union would file a grievance. So the Mets were shedding a 1 year $17MM deal for a closer they didn't need because they weren't contending for anything. They could only trade him to another team that already had an established closer or the same option/grievance plan would kick in. The Brewers would be shedding what, maybe a < $10 million 1 year deal and would be able to trade him anywhere. His salary for a year deal will probably be a fair amount for 1 year deal on an established closer if that is what a team is looking for.

If he gets anything less than $10 Million I'm fine with Milwaukee keeping him for the year. I'd rather have him everyday for the 8th than two aged $5MM men who spend time on the DL and can't go more than 2x a week and may have one of the famous off years for a reliever.

I'm working under the understanding that the club could basically do a sign and trade deal with K-Rod at any point from now to the arby hearings. Is that assumption correct? If so, I'd hardly expect them to get a haul for him, anyone could have signed him without compensation. My guess is that he was looking for way too much cash considering the market.

K-Rod is a great reliever. Just because he isn't the closer doesn't mean he's worth less money. His job is the same - get three outs without giving up the lead. His monetary value should be independent of the inning in which he's used. K-Rod is worth the money he'll get.

Archived