Brewer Fanatic

Joe Nathan to Rangers - 2 years, $14.5 million

reillymcshane

Kind of risky giving Nathan two years, but being now about two years removed from elbow surgery, if he can get back to near his prior production, Nathan could end up being a bargain. His secondary numbers last year were better than his ERA, the main problem was the home run totals were up.

If this contract had been given out by a non-contender like say Houston, Baltimore, Washington, etc, i think it would have been a foolish decision. Texas though should be a strong contender to reach the post season again and they have a lot of revenues coming in, so i understand why they rolled the dice on Nathan coming back to being a quality closer again.

I always liked Nathan, but this seems to be a lot for a guy on the tail end of a career. Not to mention, Nathan is one of the worst post-season performers around. Yes, he had a big part in getting the Twins to the playoffs, but he's been so shaky when the pressure is the highest. With that rotation and lineup, I'm confident he'll get another shot, but the guy has a WHIP of 2.375 and and ERA close to 9.00 in 4 post-season trips.
Formerly Andersoc420

Does this move Neftali into the rotation? If so, in effect they are getting a closer and possibly good to great starter for less than the cost of a free agent starter.

That's the plan but I don't think they needed to sign Nathan to move Feliz into the rotation. They could've just moved Adams into the closer's role and gotten a great starter/great closer for free if that's the way you're looking at it.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Does this make it more likely that KRod turns down arbitration?

K-Rod wants to close and knows he won't close for the Brewers. The chance of him accepting arbitration is very small.

Wow. These contracts doled to relievers affirm the fact that Ax is probably the best value in baseball

The contracts given to proven closers could be a big reason why Melvin is rumored to be discussing an extension for Axford. If contracts continue to escalate, Axford could get huge paydays in arbitration, so Melvin may be looking for some price certainty. It's a lot of risk to take, but it's somewhat understandable.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived