Brewer Fanatic

2011 MLB Awards - Latest Braun NL MVP

jjkoestler

Thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for the major yearly awards. Better late than never...

MVP

AL - Justin Verlander

NL - Ryan Braun

Cy Young

AL - Justin Verlander

NL - Clayton Kershaw

ROY

AL - Jeremy Hellickson

NL - Craig Kimbrel

Manager of Year

AL - Joe Maddon

NL - Kirk Gibson

Comeback Player

AL - Jacoby Ellsbury

NL - Lance Berkman

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

We already have a National League MVP 2011 topic with a lot of discussion. My suggestion would be to announce it here and continue the discussion that's already going on in that thread. Let's use this topic to discuss the rest of the awards.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't like giving MVP to a pitcher, pretty much ever. If Pedro Martinez couldn't win in 2000, no way Verlander should have this year.

I hear many say this and my only question is why? Is the main reason why being that they already have an award with the CY Young? If so, i can understand people holding that position, but from simply from a merit standpoint, i'd have no problem voting for a pitcher in certain situations like Verlander this year. I doubt though that i could ever give the MVP to a relief pitcher who throws so few innings.

Glad for Verlander. He definitely earned it.

It's too bad the Hank Aaron Award isn't as celebrated as the Cy Young and MVP awards, it would put an end to this whole MVP being a hitter's award argument. Although it does make it more fun to debate http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif One of the most annoying arguments to me is the "I can't give it to someone that doesn't play everyday" stance against pitchers. Out of curiosity I looked up the number of batters Verlander faced this year... 969! Jacoby Ellsbury led the majors with 732 plate appearances. Even factoring in that Verlander still only plays defense for 7.4 innings every 5th day, it's hard to say he doesn't have at least a similar impact on the game as your average hitter.

Let's use the topic dedicated to the NL MVP and Braun to discuss his award. New discussion begins at this point:

http://brewersfandemonium...-reply-325-#reply-788421

The other awards can be discussed in this thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived