Brewer Fanatic

Clint Barmes to Pirates (2yr / $10.5mil)

Samurai Bucky

This is interesting.

McTaggart says Barmes talked to the Brewers about a possible two-year deal, but they weren't willing to make an offer until Prince Fielder's situation was resolved.

Assuming this is true then Doug has been sending a whole bunch of smoke and mirrors up about moving on without Prince. Either that or they really weren't that interested in Barmes, which given our organization's commitment to all offense and no defense could be possible.

I guess Reyes and Furcal are still out there, but a return or Yuni B seems all but inevitable doesn't it?

Prince and Boras will use the Brewers as leverege to get the biggest possible deal out of some other team, and we will put all of our possible alternatives on hold while Boras plays us. Prince won't sign until Pujols "sets the market," and meanwhile the available middle infielders are coming off the market. I guess we'll see what AAAA SS are left in a month or two when Prince finally signs with someone else.

I don't even think that signing Prince would be a good idea unless the Brewers have suddenly come upon some significant annual revenue increases. Tell Prince it was nice knowing him, and get on with putting the roster together.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Time to call Kenny Williams and tell him he can have whatever he wants from our farm (besides Peralta & 2011 draftees) for Alexei.

Wouldn't want to trade Thornburg either but yeah that would preferable by a long shot than another year of watching Yuni stumbling and bumbling at SS

sveumrules wrote:

Time to call Kenny Williams and tell him he can have whatever he wants from our farm (besides Peralta & 2011 draftees) for Alexei.

So we want your good shortstop but aren't giving up our top 3 prospects to get him. Yeah, I'm sure that conversation will go far.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I love Ramirez. He would be a sweet addition. I think the Sox can get a lot for him in this market (should they elect to trade him).

Well then you are not getting Alexei as Alexei is going to cost an arm and a leg prospect wise.

I'm disappointed to see Barmes sign elsewhere, he was the guy i had really hoped Melvin could land at shortstop for a few reasons.

1. Not much better of a hitter than Yuni, but a pretty significant upgrade defensively

2. Two years isn't a long term commitment

3. Wouldn't cost the team any prospects or draft picks

Given the dearth of other free agent shortstop options, Barmes struck me as the most ideal candidate for the Brewers and he signed for roughly what i had expected. I figured before free agency started that he'd get 2 years around 9-10 million.

People really wanna pay over $5 million per a year to a guy who puts up Alcide Escobar-esque numbers? A defensive upgrade is fine, but don't blow your wads over it due to one season of watching terrible defense. There is a middle ground.

Pirates show why they are a perennial cellar dweller. No money to spend? Let's decline a 1 yr $3 mil option and pay $10.5 mil for 2 years on a guy who is probably going to give less production.

Keith Law takes the Pirates to task for the Barmes signing pointing that Barmes has a career road line of .230/.272/.361 and that at 33 he's more likely to get worse on offense and defense than he is to get better. The Brewers dodged a bullet by not signing this guy.

Keith Law takes the Pirates to task for the Barmes signing pointing that Barmes has a career road line of .230/.272/.361 and that at 33 he's more likely to get worse on offense and defense than he is to get better. The Brewers dodged a bullet by not signing this guy.

Amen! Great non-sign

Archived