Brewer Fanatic

Mariners outfielder Greg Halman killed

ttsather

This is just terrible news, I was intrigued by him as a prospect just because of his heritage, there aren't many MLB players or legitimate prospects from Europe. He jumped on my radar in 2008, his strike out rate above AA would have been appreciated by many 3TO fans on this site.

Very sorry for his family's loss, especially if the brother was really the murderer, unfortunately this is just another sad reminder me of how lucky I am to have the family that I do.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is very sad news. Becomes even sadder that it was likely his own brother that did this. I can't even fathom how somehow could even think of doing something like that to their own brother, no matter what the circumstances may be. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• 2 weeks later...

very sad news.

i'm wondering if the mariners could make an appeal to mlb regarding the upcoming rule 5 draft on 8 december.

halman was on the 40-man roster at the 18 november deadline to protect players for the rule 5 draft. he could have been using a spot that the mariners might have otherwise used to protect an additional prospect.

because of these unfortunate circumstances, could the mariners add to their 40-man roster another prospect that was in their organization at the rule 5 draft deadline, and have him protected from the rule 5 draft?

i'm not aware of any 40-man roster players dying (at least in recent years) after the conclusion of the world series but before the start of spring training, so this might be the first time such an exception could be made.

Archived