Brewer Fanatic

Dale Sveum officially the new Cubs manager

The Truth
I saw some speculation from Adam McCalvy that the Brewers might be another team to implement a two hitting coach system (I think St. Louis and San Diego both have two). Would be interesting, I guess.

Right. McGwire is the "hitting" coach and then they have a guy who actually coaches the hitters.

Promote Sandy Guerrero from Nashville.

The guy pretty much taught the whole team how to hit at some point.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't him, especially since he is no longer Nashville's hitting coach and is scheduled to be the minor league hitting coordinator for '12.

Didn't Theo say they ruled out Sandberg immediately because they were looking for a manager with a lot of big league managing experience? I don't see any way in which Sveum fits that bill.
Sveum has managed 12 regular season games and 4 playoff games. That's a lot of experience for a rookie manager. I just don't see Sveum's small ball strategy being in line with Theo.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Congrats to Sveum. There are only 30 jobs, so I guess you have to take it when you're offered one.

This does take some steam off the rivalry. It's more fun to think of the Cubs as bumbling fools, and now they have one of our own at the helm.

Don't forget, no manager in MLB history has reached the playoffs more quickly than Dale Sveum.

He deserves a full shot. Congratulations to him, and best wishes for a lauded but ultimately futile effort to overcome the Cubs' many shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I hate that Sveum went to the Cubs. It didn't really hit me until now. It's really hard not to root for him. I just watched him on MLB Network and he actually referred to his 1987 facial hair as a "pimp 'stache." He's awesome.

• 2 months later...

Archived