Brewer Fanatic

Dale Sveum officially the new Cubs manager

The Truth

3 years with a club option for a 4th. Is that somewhat out of the ordinary? Didn't Roenicke and Macha only get 2 years with an option?
Up until about six or seven years ago, three years was pretty standard for a managerial contract. Now it seems that we usually see two years and an option.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I wanted Francona

and then I wanted Mike Maddux (with the hope of greg being pitching coach)

but I'm OK with this AND if it's a hook to sign Prince...

BTW - just got a text from my brother, "Mix a little Sam Adams with some Miller Lite and you get Old Style."

hmmmm.

I get the impression that Robin Yount doesn't want a coaching job in baseball.
Yeah, Yount only came back to help Sveum out in Milwaukee because it was a short-term thing. I don't ever see him being a full-time coach again. And if he by some chance did, it would be for the Brewers or D'Backs again.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I could see Counsell getting bench coach offer in Milw...

oops I said bench coach, that's Narron's gig now and Sveum was hitting coach... Thoughts as to who might get that role in Milw now that Sveum is gone?

Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

I'm expecting the Cubs to now sign Mike Cameron so that Sveum can bat him lead-off
And Jeff Suppan so he can start on Opening Day, in the playoffs, and every fifth critical game in between.

Yep!

Lots of small ball will now be played at Wrigley. Somehow I get the feeling that Alfonso Soriano isn't a "Sveum" type player. Looking forward to the first time Soriano ignores the bunt sign and swings away, and the camera cuts to Sveum as he quietly burns inside.

Sveum also has the potential to be pretty entertaining arguing with umpries. Maybe not full-on Ned Yost like ballistic, but close

Can't blame him for taking the Cubs job. Brewers passed on him twice after being promoted to interim manager in 2008. Seems like he's earned an opportunity, so good for him.

Adam McCalvy was speculating on twitter that maybe the Brewers will offer the job to Sandy Guerrero, or even Counsell if he decides to hang 'em up for good.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived