Brewer Fanatic

Moving Rickie Weeks to shortstop

molitor fan
I could see Rickie moving....but to the OF. If we ever decided to deal Hart....he might be a nice corner OF guy. There would need to be a better option at 2b to make that move...right now don't see one.
Scooter Gennett could be that option in a few years.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

After the Bill Hall position change, I have to say that I'm nervous moving anybody. Braun has turned out OK, and it remains to be seen how Gamel handles 1st. That's already enough guys playing out of their natural position for me. Really there aren't that many good 2b anyway- I'm not sold on Farris or Green- so you would likely be filling one hole just to make another.

With the Gamel example his "natural position" didn't mean anything, except that he couldn't hack it there. While I agree with you in general that it's not good policy to move guys all around, I don't agree at all that Gamel fits that type of policy. The Brewers only moved him when he proved beyond a doubt that he wasn't a good fit, long-term, at 3B.

That said, the idea of moving Weeks to SS isn't realistic enough to warrant serious discussion. He's an excellent athlete who took a looooong time & lots of hard work to develop his technical skills to merely a league-avg. level at second base -- the easier position. If the Brewers had started Rickie off at SS, I guess it's possible that he would've developed similarly on defense over the years... but his arm accuracy was so bad until very recently that he just never really gave the Brewers that option.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
3b: Gamel

ss: Weeks

2b: Green

1b: Fielder

That would be the worst defensive infield in the history of the game.

Maybe, but match that infield's offense if you can...
You've got an .800 OPS "SS", a .950 OPS 1B (of which there's about half a dozen in the game), and 2 guys at 2B and 3B, that we don't even know if they're going to produce at the MLB level yet.

"Match their offense?" That's not really that hard.

Archived