Brewer Fanatic

Moving Rickie Weeks to shortstop

molitor fan
Would this be a completely outlandish idea? In the last several years Weeks has changed his defensive skillset from when he came into the league. He still makes some poor decisions and his mechanics are odd, however some of his range positives could actually apply well to the shortstop position. He has the arm and the hip rotation to make throws from short and his first step into the hole going to his right is rather amazing. His throws drifting to 2nd base would scare the crap out of me I think, but given our roster makeup and what an amazing offensive short he would provide, I thought the idea had a glimmer of interest, though I admit to feeling like I was channeling Clancyphile.

Weeks does not have the arm to play SS, he throws everything sidearm which usually gets the job done at 2B but wont at SS. Also, people are too theoretical with these position changes, in reality guys get used to their spots and they aren't going to randomly switch unless they start playing very poorly there or the team adds a major player. Weeks is going to play 2B next year and Hart is going to play RF.

Topper, Ripken threw practically submarine style and it worked just fine for him.

I saw Weeks play some shortstop in the AFL and I remember being impressed (the brewerfan archives will show my reactions). He has adequate range, but his arm is very strong. However, he still struggles on the backhand side, and it could get ugly on grounders to the hole.

The chances of Weeks ever setting foot at SS are just about zero. Even if the starting SS and backup SS and utilty guy were all injured in the same game, Braun or Gomez or Taylor Green would play at SS long before Weeks. And then the next day they'd bring up a SS from AAA

And just to appease the OP, say they did move Weeks to SS (which they won't, but say they did) then who plays 2B?

The chances of Weeks ever setting foot at SS are just about zero. Even if the starting SS and backup SS and utilty guy were all injured in the same game, Braun or Gomez or Taylor Green would play at SS long before Weeks. And then the next day they'd bring up a SS from AAA

And just to appease the OP, say they did move Weeks to SS (which they won't, but say they did) then who plays 2B?

Casey McGehee....

Casey McGehee....

Weeks at SS and McGehee at 2B might even be worse defensively than Betancourt at SS and Weeks at 2B... well, probably not, but maybe.

The idea is somewhat interesting, but like folks have said her likely not to happen. I wonder how it would've worked out if he was a few years younger.

Is there any more risk of Rickie playing SS in regard to injuries? He hasn't exactly had a clean bill of health.

endaround wrote:

Casey McGehee....

So does this mean Braun or Hart plays 3B?

I think Hart should be moved to the bullpen but only pitch to RHB's, except, ooops, then we'd need a new manager.

Oh, and maybe Yuni B could be the new hitting coach when Sveum gets hired by whoever

Archived