Brewer Fanatic

Counsell will not be a Brewer in 2012

Brewer Fever

If we can re-sign Hairston, there's a possibility we could actually have a decent bench this year. Hairston, Morgan/Gomez, RH corner IF (McGehee or other), 5th OF (Gindl?), Kottaras/Maldonado. Plus, if Gamel is starting at 1B, and we're not paying millions to Counsell and Kotsay (and possibly McGehee), we should have some money to upgrade SS and the 'pen.

Thanks for your time here Craig, but it's definitely time for the Brewers to move on.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If we can re-sign Hairston, there's a possibility we could actually have a decent bench this year. Hairston, Morgan/Gomez, RH corner IF (McGehee or other), 5th OF (Gindl?), Kottaras/Maldonado. Plus, if Gamel is starting at 1B, and we're not paying millions to Counsell and Kotsay (and possibly McGehee), we should have some money to upgrade SS and the 'pen.

Thanks for your time here Craig, but it's definitely time for the Brewers to move on.

It was a decent bench last year. Yes Counsell was bad, but other than that guys performed like typical bench players and Morgan's arrival moved a starter to the bench. Counsell and Kotsay only made $2.2 million total, and it will cost close to that just for Hairston. They'll have one less guy who will be counted on for every day duty so more of a need for a bench this year. Assuming some bounce back from McGehee, and that Green can produce, that's a plus. I'm almost certain they'll look for a veteran to take Kotsay's spot too rather than use Gindl in that role. I'd consider signing Doumit as a guy who can catch, play 1B and corner OF and pinch hit, and keeping Maldanado around as a defensive backup.

Gindl's just a possibility. Melvin's history has been to find a veteran for around $700-800k for the 5th OF role. If the Brewers are playing with a tight payroll, they may decide to save a few hundred thousand, and fill the 5th OF from in-house. If they do, I'd prefer Gindl to Schafer, as I think Schafer has the higher upside and I'd rather see him start the year in AAA playing everyday. Plus, we've already got Morgan & Gomez, so Schafer's ability to play CF isn't that important for the Brewers to start the 2012 season. If I had to bet, I'd say Melvin will find a cheap vet... I just don't have any idea who, so I put "Gindl?" in the parenthesis as a possibility.

I'd say that Hairston and Gindl or a random $700k vet corner OF have a good chance of being better than Counsell / Kotsay, so if they're around the same price, I'll take Hairston/vet OF. That's not trying to knock Kotsay, just saying that his timely hits for us this year allowed him to get $1.25MM from the Pads, and we could probably get similar 2012 results from a "random vet." Meanwhile, Hairston at around $2MM should bring far more than Counsell brought us for $1.5MM last year. Melvin said that with our payroll we aren't going to pay $3MM for a bench guy this year, so we have some idea as to what he's offering Hairston. I'd guess our whole bench will make around $6MM this year, our free cash will go to SS & the bullpen and Gamel & Green will start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Is Hairston a possibility as the starting SS and not merely a backup guy?

I will miss Counsell but the time has come for him to move on. He was one of my favorite players but in no way am I advocating that he be resigned as a player.

I could see Craig Counsell becoming the manager of the Brewers somewhere around 2019 or so

monty57 wrote:
Gindl's just a possibility. Melvin's history has been to find a veteran for around $700-800k for the 5th OF role. ...If I had to bet, I'd say Melvin will find a cheap vet...
In Nov of 2010, how many people pegged Kotsay being on the team the entire year in 2011? How many people predicted Kapler before we got him? The Stache will go out and get somebody nobody predicted and few knew was still in the bigs. We will argue about him all year. That's what keeps BF.net alive.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• 2 months later...
For those who can't view the blog entry, CBS News has reported that Craig will retire as a player and take a front office job with the Brewers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Special Assistant to the General Manager. Guess we know why Doug didn't cut Craigger last season.

Congrats to Craig. Glad he is going to stay a part of the Brewers organization.

http://newspaper.li/static/0ef4c1b7f8339a31bbda4cb66bf3a0be.jpg

Assistant manager or assistant to the general manager????

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

"Special assistant to the general manager" is what you do when you know you want a guy on your administrative team. The actual job description often develops as time goes on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Special Assistant to the General Manager. Guess we know why Doug didn't cut Craigger last season.

Exactly what I thought when I read it haha

FALSE.

Chief Executive supervising batting stances.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived