Brewer Fanatic

Kotsay to the Padres [1yr/1.25M]

pretendastronaut

Came up big in a number of spots for the Brewers - wouldn't have minded seeing him back as the 5th OF, but he can easily be replaced.

A bit off topic, but it's time for Hart to become an everyday player - he's missed too many games over the past 3 seasons for a guy making $9 million this upcoming season. Only reason I bring this up is because Kotsay had an extra 50+ PA's because of Hart's health at the start of last season - for as much as Hart is getting paid, he needs to be a productive bat that is in the lineup everyday.

Kotsay is a poor defensive player who can't hit lefties and really doesn't even hit righties very well either. He is an ok 5th OF if you are just using him to PH now and again late in games but if he is getting more than 100 PA something is wrong with your team. Not really sure how he makes any sense for a team like the Padres who aren't likely to be competitive this year.

Not really sure how he makes any sense for a team like the Padres who aren't likely to be competitive this year.

If used correctly, I could see how a rebuilding team would like to have a "good clubhouse" veteran to help the younger players. As long as he's not regularly being started (or pinch hitting) in front of better, younger players, he could have value.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Interesting quote from Melvin in the article linked by reillymcshane:

""He is open to giving a utility-type player a two-year deal, but only if it fits into the rest of the payroll puzzle. Melvin has been in contact with Casey Close about bringing back Jerry Hairston Jr. on the heels of Hairston’s solid second half in Milwaukee.

“We don’t want to spend $3 million on a guy who’s going to be a part-time player,” Melvin said. “You can’t do that; not with where our payroll is.”"

Interesting quote from Melvin in the article linked by reillymcshane:

""He is open to giving a utility-type player a two-year deal, but only if it fits into the rest of the payroll puzzle. Melvin has been in contact with Casey Close about bringing back Jerry Hairston Jr. on the heels of Hairston’s solid second half in Milwaukee.

“We don’t want to spend $3 million on a guy who’s going to be a part-time player,” Melvin said. “You can’t do that; not with where our payroll is.”"

Good. The Brewers need to spend their free cash on a starting SS and restocking the bullpen. The Brewers are probably offering Hairston around 2 yr/$4MM, and I'm sure he'll test the market to see if he can get a better deal. I hope he comes back, but not if the price is too high. If the $3MM price tag that's been floated around is true, Melvin's statement could very well signal the end of Casey McGehee as a Brewer.

If they can find a lefty-mashing RH 1B/3B to go along with either Hairston or a utility guy who can play good defense and either Gindl or a cheap vet 5th OF, I'll be fine with the bench. No need to spend a lot of money on the bench when your regulars should play nearly everyday and guys with one skill (RH bat who can hit lefties) should be fairly inexpensive. With a limited budget, you have to cut somewhere, and I'd rather have a good starting SS than an expensive backup.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Outside of not being very good at baseball, Kotsay was a pretty likable fellow.

Everyone in the major leagues is very good at baseball. There are 800 people who get to do that in a country of 300 million.

Yeah, but have you seen Kotsay's WAR and UZR

Archived