Brewer Fanatic

Kotsay to the Padres [1yr/1.25M]

pretendastronaut

With Gamel out of options, I'm guessing the Brewers will look for a righty with some pop to fill that 5th OF / platoon 1b role.

Kotsay really didn't have a place on the 2012 roster, so I wish him the best. Plus, San Diego's outfield is large enough that he probably won't be asked to play in CF.

And if they ask him to play CF, they'll have enough time to make sure the corner OFs back him up sufficiently. :-)

If Hairston's back, I think there's a better chance the 5th OF could be a Schafer or Gindl -- or someone else w/ a salary $500K or less. I like the develop/advance concepts at play in a situation like that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If we could only have someone sign Yuni so that threat isn't haunting us.

However, Kotsay was serviceable as a pinch hitter and once-in-a-blue-moon starter. He just played too much last year, especially when there were other options available. I would have been okay with him in 2012 if he was strictly regulated to 5th OF/PH status. But time to move on. I hope Gindl or Schafer gets a chance at his job.

I think there's a better chance the 5th OF could be a Schafer or Gindl

I hope Gindl or Schafer gets a chance at his job.

If the Brewers go with one of their minor leaguers, I hope it's Gindl. I think Schafer will be the everyday CF of the future, once he proves he can stay healthy, so I don't want to see him riding the pines. Gindl probably projects as a 4th OF, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the backup OF job.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think there's a better chance the 5th OF could be a Schafer or Gindl

I hope Gindl or Schafer gets a chance at his job.

If the Brewers go with one of their minor leaguers, I hope it's Gindl. I think Schafer will be the everyday CF of the future, once he proves he can stay healthy, so I don't want to see him riding the pines. Gindl probably projects as a 4th OF, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the backup OF job.

It's conceivable Schafer could be everyday CF by midseason. If they aren't in contention in July, my guess is Morgan will be shopped.

Those few of you who were in the chat room the night of the Kotsay walkoff (I think a Friday night in July vs. the Reds) know that I vowed to buy a Kotsay t-shirt if he came through in that game. So he did, and I did, and my S.O. wore it to several games with a degree of pride.

Now I have to break this news to him. Well, thanks for playing, Mark.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Just freeing up some money for Reyes/Fielder.........I would put this in blue but.......

Anyway, I know Kotsay lives in SoCal but I wonder why he wouldnt go ring chasing or at least wait a little longer. Couldn't he leach on with the Angels/Dodgers as a part time player? I guess there is always the trade deadline.

I wish the best of luck to Mark. He was a complete class act with Milwaukee. Some of you hate on him here, but its not his fault RR put him in CF. Kotsay always gave a great AB when the game was on the line and came through a couple of times. Good Luck Mark.

He was a good bench player. Maybe our best player off the bench this year. So why the hate? He at least had respectable AB's. He knew how to work a pitcher, he got on base.

You cannot blame him for the defensive blunders in CF. That was Roenicke's fault for putting him there in the first place. Kotsay was added depth in RF and a good pinch hitter. I would have liked to see him stay. I'll be surprised if we can afford to get much better on the bench.

depends...Kotsay opened the year showing an inability to hit the ball out of the infield in April and May. He had one good stretch. Given that he's lousy defensively, I'm glad he's signed elsewhere and won't be with us

Archived