Brewer Fanatic

Orioles go back to the cartoon bird logo (and other uni-related discussion)

PrinceEatMeat

Interesting that the Orioles have gone back to their retro logo full time, the Blue Jays are rumored to be doing so on Friday and the Brewers, who most seem to agree have the best retro logo, have yet to do so on a full time basis. I know it's brought up every year and discussed ad nauseum by members on this board, but I think the Brewers should have lead the trend in this department years ago by switching to their retro jersey on a full time basis.

By the way, the Orioles hat looks awesome. Much better than that stale bird they have been messing with for the past 2 decades.

As a lifelong Oriole fan I always preferred the "ornithologically correct" bird logo, but the cartoon bird is a nice alternative. Certainly better than the stupid, uninspired "O's" alternative logo.

In the end they can dress up the team however they like. It's still just putting a rose on a cowpie.

I like it. My favorite part of the whole thing is that, according to the story on the Orioles' website, the home batting helmets will match the caps and feature the white panel on the front. One of my favorite random baseball things from my childhood are helmets with a white (or colored) front panel - like the old Orioles, Blue Jays, and yes, like the Brewers wore from '78-'85. It doesn't work for every team and every logo, but I think it definitely does for the Orioles.

Interesting that the Orioles have gone back to their retro logo full time, the Blue Jays are rumored to be doing so on Friday and the Brewers, who most seem to agree have the best retro logo, have yet to do so on a full time basis. I know it's brought up every year and discussed ad nauseum by members on this board, but I think the Brewers should have lead the trend in this department years ago by switching to their retro jersey on a full time basis.

The way they are doing it now is perfect. They can offer 2 versions of pretty much every piece of merch that the MLB licensees produce (since this is all about sales), and the current teams get their own identity rather than continuously reliving the past with those overrated ball-in-glove unis.

I like it. My favorite part of the whole thing is that, according to the story on the Orioles' website, the home batting helmets will match the caps and feature the white panel on the front. One of my favorite random baseball things from my childhood are helmets with a white (or colored) front panel - like the old Orioles, Blue Jays, and yes, like the Brewers wore from '78-'85. It doesn't work for every team and every logo, but I think it definitely does for the Orioles.

I actually really like the white-panel hats that the Brewers wore on July 4 this year. If they used a regular Brewers logo (instead of the stars-and-stripes logo for the holiday), I could see this being a really cool uniform!

http://www.dlcache.indiatimes.com/imageserve/0gRX33W8ZS38P/350x.jpg

Wow I must be the only one who isn't into this change. I always though the O's had some of the best looking uni's in baseball.....clean and classic. The cartoon would be cool for an alternate but not full time in my opinion. And I can't stand the white paneled hats for any team. To each his own I guess.

Wow I must be the only one who isn't into this change. I always though the O's had some of the best looking uni's in baseball.....clean and classic. The cartoon would be cool for an alternate but not full time in my opinion. And I can't stand the white paneled hats for any team. To each his own I guess.

Big-time ditto!!! I abhor the white-panel caps. Gross! Looks like a bad 1980 softball team (like the one I played on after 6th grade).

The Orioles' more recent uniforms have been among their best. Their retro-ish white-paneled caps are beyond ugly. They look cheap & amateurish. That look's exponentially more offensive than when bell-bottomed jeans and combinations of burnt orange, brown, & olive green together (like the recently re-built McDonald's near my house) came back into style. Some styles of the past are better left in the past because they went away the first time for a very good reason.

I really hope the Brewers follow suit at some point and go back to the retro look. That would make me a very happy camper.
I personally don't. I'm OK with the alternate throwback jerseys, but I don't really want the team to go back to the '80s look. Plus the team has been successful with the current unis, so I doubt they will change things up. If anything, we'll probably see the gold alternates be used more in 2012.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm a huge fan of the old Blue Jays look. The one they have had for the past few seasons is awful.
Maybe it's especially because of their name, but when I see a blue jay, I think of the dark-ish blue, not the gray & black also in its coloring. The current (soon to be former) Jays uniforms have so little blue that they never made great sense. The original or retro version of the Jays' logo could be improved upon or revisited in modern yet classic stylings for a very cool look. But the hints suggest it'll be more full-scale retro. Yawn.

Now, if the Jays bring their wretched white-panel caps back, too, I think I'll be turned off all over again.

Another look I don't care for may be coming back in another wave: On Paul Lukas' UniWatch blog I read recently a snippet that the Royals may be bringing back their powder blue pants.

I actually liked the Padres' cream/beige road uniforms of a couple years ago and I didn't realize until late this season that their 2011 road duds had gone gray.

I love those old Blue Jays unis, too, and also agree that they shouldn't go full-'old school'.

You can't go wrong with this logo...

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/78/thumbs/ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gif http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/78/thumbs/wcq5l2h3sugh536gzg9pqya8e.gif

... but I actually thought their late-'90s update of it was pretty good

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/78/thumbs/98256e6rrugp88puehfylgn2k.gif http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/78/thumbs/sx4rcd9ep8ecty3mrs5x6qag9.gif

If I were calling the shots here, I'd be tempted to go with the updated version, especially the one with no font/text. I think that looks great.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with you. I think the Orioles had the best uniform in the game. Although their play is wretched, the look of the home team in the Camden Yards setting is as close to classic iconin MLB as you get these days.

At least one team got it right. Way to go, Toronto, updating the past & doing it in nothing short of a first-class & modern way.

Click the video link in the main photo of this article for plenty of good looks at the logo & uniforms.

I'm not one to buy anything MLB but Brewers, but I'd give serious thought to an official new Blue Jays cap. What a great upgrade, especially compared to the disturbing recent new-uniform updates (Orioles) and unveilings (Marlins -- official cap doubles as gear for hunting or construction, neither of which make any sense in the long run).

Archived