Brewer Fanatic

Matt Kemp extends w/LAD, 8 yrs./$160M

I think every deal signed has impacts on all future deals signed, as the teams and agents are looking for "comps." Boras is surely licking his chops that a guy with similar numbers and a year of arbitration just signed a big deal. I expect someone will give Prince more than $20MM/year, and I think Boras/Fielder will try to get someone to sign an 8-year deal. Someone will bite, and for 8 years / $184MM, I hope the Brewers stay far, far away.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If I was an indifferent fan, meaning not a Brewer or Dodger fan, I think I'd take Matt Kemp at $20MM/year for the next 8 over Prince for the same deal. Having said that, Boras will definitely top this deal given Prince's stats versus Kemp's stats. I think we just saw Prince's contract rise to the level of 8 years/$190MM to top the Teixeira deal.

If I was an indifferent fan, meaning not a Brewer or Dodger fan, I think I'd take Matt Kemp at $20MM/year for the next 8 over Prince for the same deal. Having said that, Boras will definitely top this deal given Prince's stats versus Kemp's stats. I think we just saw Prince's contract rise to the level of 8 years/$190MM to top the Teixeira deal.
Yeah, because Kemps monster year is freseh in our minds.

But as previously stated, he's also struggled. Prince for his size has been as consistent as can be. In reality, Kemp's probably going to end up in LF by the time this is over. Given his up and down nature, and Prince's durability thus far, that'd be a very difficult decision to make.

If Kemp comes back next year with a WAR of 5.5 at least or 6, it'd be an obvious decision. As it stands, I think I'd rather have Prince for 8/160. As much flak as he gets for his terrible body, he's really not that fat, and he's played 160 games just about every season.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

In the NL I definitely agree with this sentiment since Prince's defense is already so terrible and you can always move Kemp to a corner. In the AL I'd rather give Prince the deal because his offense has been so consistent and his defense doesn't need to be a concern with the DH available.

Outstanding is probably a little strong to describe his defense, but he's capable in CF. Even if/when he has to move out of the position, he has the arm to be good in RF if that's where the Dodgers want him.

This is probably an overpay, but the Dodgers were in a position where they had to do something positive to get the fanbase believing in the future again. He wasn't going to be a FA until next year, but at least with Kemp locked up there's a bit of cost certainty for whoever ends up buying the team. He has the talent to put up a few more seasons like he had this year, but he's also admitted that his 2010 numbers were down because he checked out in the second half. The new coaching staff in 2011 refreshed his focus (Davey Lopes gets a lot of credit for Kemp's improvement), but how long until that wears off, especially if the Dodgers stay stuck in neutral for another couple years? That's what would worry me if I was a Dodger fan, but once the franchise gets back on its feet I doubt they'd have to worry too much about him being an albatross.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, because Kemps monster year is freseh in our minds.

But as previously stated, he's also struggled. Prince for his size has been as consistent as can be. In reality, Kemp's probably going to end up in LF by the time this is over. Given his up and down nature, and Prince's durability thus far, that'd be a very difficult decision to make.

If Kemp comes back next year with a WAR of 5.5 at least or 6, it'd be an obvious decision. As it stands, I think I'd rather have Prince for 8/160. As much flak as he gets for his terrible body, he's really not that fat, and he's played 160 games just about every season.

As good as Fielder is at the plate, the upside of Kemp and his ability to apparently match Prince's production, albeit for one season, while playing a majority of his games in the bigger ballparks of the NL West makes him the choice for me at $20MM/season. As much as I love Prince, he is really a 2 tool player,power and average. Kemp is a legit 5 tool guy as he can provide the speed, arm and glove in addition to the power and average. If Kemp's 2011 wasn't a fluke, and I don't think it is, I think you would have to consider him the better choice for a $20MM/year deal over the next 8 seasons.

As good as Fielder is at the plate, the upside of Kemp and his ability to apparently match Prince's production, albeit for one season, while playing a majority of his games in the bigger ballparks of the NL West makes him the choice for me at $20MM/season. As much as I love Prince, he is really a 2 tool player,power and average. Kemp is a legit 5 tool guy as he can provide the speed, arm and glove in addition to the power and average. If Kemp's 2011 wasn't a fluke, and I don't think it is, I think you would have to consider him the better choice for a $20MM/year deal over the next 8 seasons.
Defense is also a factor here. As he ages and loses mobility, he can move from CF to one of the corners and still be a plus defender. Fielder has nowhere to move to. It's a great bet that Kemp will be worth more to an NL team in 7-8 years than Prince will be.

This isn't new or anything, but since it's the seventh-largest contract extension in MLB history, I think it could warrant discussion.

From that first LA Times piece -

"Here's the payment schedule:

2012, $10 million, of which $2 million is deferred without interest; 2013, $20 million; 2014-15, $21 million per season; 2016-19, $21.5 million per season.

Kemp also received a $2-million signing bonus and agreed to donate $250,000 annually to the Dodgers Dream Foundation.

There does not appear to be a no-trade clause in the deal."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived