Brewer Fanatic

Nick Evans

The Mets just outrighted the versatile Nick Evans. Evans, who'll be just 26 in January, has a career .295/.360/.489 line vs. lefties. Now wouldn't he be a nice cheap guy who can platoon with Gamel, also play some 3B and corner OF? I'm amazed nobody claimed him.

The Brewers have had a lack of RH bats on the bench for quite a while. I don't know how the bench will shape up, but with the possibility of Gamel and Green starting nearly everyday, with Morgan getting 80% of the starts in center, I hope Melvin finds someone who can mash lefties to stick on the bench.

Also, if McGehee is indeed due to get around $3MM as the rumors are stating, he may be gone and we'll need a replacement. I think finding a "trash heap" player would be a better option then paying McGehee that much. Without much insight other than what was written above, I think he looks like he'd at least be worth a minor league deal with ST invite.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1B/LF with a .300 OBP don't have much demand. Might be a nice role player as a lefty masher, but they're a dime a dozen, especially at offensive positions. Be a very nice minor league signing, and he might find a spot on the big club at some point.
So after less than 400 major league AB's you are pigeon-holing him as a .300 OBP hitter (it's actually .305) and completely ignoring that against lefties it's .360 or that in the past 2 minor league seasons it's been .371 and .375?

I'm not calling him the second coming. I'm just saying that he's got sufficient credentials (compare him to the McGehee that was claimed 3 years ago) both in the minors and majors to certainly be worth bringing in as a potential RH platoon partner with Gamel. Remember Gamel is no sure thing at 1B. McGehee would be a platoon option but he doesn't hit lefties very well, and he'll be more expensive.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't know much about Evans, but briggs is right in that this is the kind of player the team can use if we go with Gamel next year at 1B (or a player like Pena, who has pretty drastic splits).

McGehee could, potentially, be that guy, but he was terrible against lefties last season. And at $3 million, he becomes expensive.

I think we can be smart and get someone how can mash lefties, maybe play 1B as well as corner OF or 3B. Just know the guy is going to get 20-30 starts at 1B, maybe a few somewhere else, pinch hit, etc. 200 ABs is it.

Almost every organization have a guy or two just like this, especially at a corner spot.

But the Brewers are one of those teams that don't have a guy like this, so whether it's this guy or some other RH bat who can hit lefties, it's worth exploring.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived