Brewer Fanatic

reyes a "almost a done deal" with marlins

prophet

Yahoo, is reporting this along with Pujols visiting Miami to talk with the fish. Buerle was there a few days ago. If the Marlins get these three, they are contenders with a healthy Josh Johnson and Hanley moving to 3rd. But, would it make Gaby Sanchez available? And if so, what would it take? This question was asked a while ago too, and someone (can't remember who) said "start with Ryan Braun", which is a HUGE underevalutation of Braun. There isn't too many people in the majors worth Braun straight up, and Sanchez isn't one of them. So, seriously, what would it take?

Edited thread title --cc

Why trade anything for a guy who isn't a lock to be better than Gamel? I get that Gamel isn't proven but given Sanchez mediocre numbers for a 1B I'll take my chances with the kid who is cheaper and under control longer who won't cost us any other players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Sanchez is 28, with 3 years experience and a career OPS of .786. He should be heading into his first year of arby, so will start getting more expensive. I'm not a big MLE guy, but in another thread, it was listed that Gamel's MLE would put him around a .777 OPS. Now, Sanchez gets on base at a decent clip, and has played in a big park, so he'd probably get a boost from Miller Park, but I'd say the Brewers should shop elsewhere unless the price tag is really cheap. Sanchez would be safer than Gamel, but I wouldn't think it's worth trading for a 1B unless it would be a slam dunk upgrade over Gamel.

Anyone who said the price would "start with Ryan Braun" is way off. An MVP-caliber player for an average-hitting 1B doesn't really seem quite fair. If we needed the salary room, and Florida would pick up Hart's whole salary, then a Hart-for-Sanchez trade might be fair. Hart's a better hitter, but costs more. That would weaken the Brewers, cause Gamel to play out of place in RF and I doubt the Marlins would take the whole salary on, so I wouldn't do that trade unless we needed the money for a serious upgrade elsewhere. Actually, Gamel for Sanchez would probably be a fair trade, as Sanchez is "MLB proven," while Gamel has more team control.

As far as the rest of your post, it would be amazing if the Marlins landed Pujols, Reyes and Buehrle. That's a Yankee-esque offseason FA haul, and would certainly help fill the new stadium.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Pujols signs quickly with Miami, does that make St. Louis the #1 suitor for Fielder?

No. They would just move Berkman to 1B and then have an OF of Holliday, Jay, and Craig which would actually improve the teams overall defense as funny as that may sound but it is the truth.

I made a comparison last month that a proposed trade offer on Hanley Ramirez in the Transactions forum was akin to a Marlins fan offering Gaby Sanchez for Ryan Braun. That's the only time I can think of anyone saying anything about Sanchez-Braun, & I certainly wasn't saying anything about seriously trading Braun for him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fwiw, here is the text from said Yahoo article --

What was previously known: that New York Mets free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes has visited the Marlins, and toured the nearly completed ballpark. Further, reporter Jorge Sedano of 790-AM The Ticket says a source tells him that Reyes and Marlins are "almost a done deal."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As much as I would love to see Reyes at SS for the Crew next year, I know that we'd end up over spending for him.

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3. That would be quite an off season. Hard to imagine pulling that off.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3.

After my post above, I read that they're looking at increasing their payroll by around $30MM from 2011 to 2012. I don't know anything about their payroll obligations (arby raises, FA's leaving, etc), but $30MM wouldn't be enough for Pujols and Reyes, much less all three.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3.

After my post above, I read that they're looking at increasing their payroll by around $30MM from 2011 to 2012. I don't know anything about their payroll obligations (arby raises, FA's leaving, etc), but $30MM wouldn't be enough for Pujols and Reyes, much less all three.

I don't know about their payroll obligations, but I do remember this telling item: The Marlins are the ones who were found out a year ago for taking their revenue sharing money and pretty much NOT spending on players to help achieve the competitive balance that revenue sharing was intended to facilitate. MLB wasn't very pleased about that.

P.S. The thread's title is misleading when the article clearly says "almost a done deal."

This whole Marlins offering 3 guys screams "marketing ploy". It's to show potential ticket buyers that "we are serious". Pujols isn't going to jump at the first offer. Neither is Reyes. Is it possible the Marlins land a guy. Sure, but to call it a done deal at this point is really stretching it.

This whole Marlins offering 3 guys screams "marketing ploy". It's to show potential ticket buyers that "we are serious". Pujols isn't going to jump at the first offer. Neither is Reyes. Is it possible the Marlins land a guy. Sure, but to call it a done deal at this point is really stretching it.

Agreed. I doubt it's a done deal or it would be 'done' already. They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

Or Reyes really wants to play in Miami. I agree that it's likely premature to say a deal's nearly done, and all three of the players will likely shop their wares for the best bid, but we don't know what will be the deciding factors in where the players end up. We didn't get Randy Johnson a few years ago because we satisfied some of his requirements, but weren't on the West Coast. Meanwhile, Marcum was happy to come to Milwaukee, because he's from the Midwest. Maybe Reyes has a lot of family in Miami and would jump at the opportunity to play there. Who knows?

~Bill Walsh

They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

Or Reyes really wants to play in Miami. I agree that it's likely premature to say a deal's nearly done, and all three of the players will likely shop their wares for the best bid, but we don't know what will be the deciding factors in where the players end up. We didn't get Randy Johnson a few years ago because we satisfied some of his requirements, but weren't on the West Coast. Meanwhile, Marcum was happy to come to Milwaukee, because he's from the Midwest. Maybe Reyes has a lot of family in Miami and would jump at the opportunity to play there. Who knows?

Doesn't hurt that there is no state income tax for at least 81 games a year. Using Wisconsin's top tax rate of 7.75%, means that the Brewers would have to pay him at least 3.9% more just to be the same net return for Reyes. $100 million Marlins = $104 million Brewers.

Doesn't hurt that there is no state income tax for at least 81 games a year. Using Wisconsin's top tax rate of 7.75%, means that the Brewers would have to pay him at least 3.9% more just to be the same net return for Reyes. $100 million Marlins = $104 million Brewers.

Pretty sure state tax is based on you state you live in not the state you work, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if Reyes lives in FL but works in WI he would pay WI state tax, but then receive an offsetting tax credit from FL that would make his tax line up with what he would have paid living and working in FL.

Either way, the Brewers would have to pay him a ton of money to sign him. I think Miami is going to throw what ever they have to his way to get him to sign, and I think it wouldn't be in the Brewers best interest to get into that bidding war.

I think the taxes are more complicated for "entertainers." Whereas "normal people" can conduct business out-of-state and not have to pay income tax in the non-resident state, states all saw how much money they weren't able to grab as musicians played in-state or visiting teams constituted 1/2 the players on the field, so they created a law where the entertainers have to pay taxes based on income made while in each state. Therefore, when the Yankees come to town, Wisconsin makes more money than they do when any other team visits. If this is indeed the case, then tax-wise it would be beneficial to play as many games as possible in non-state-tax states like Florida and Texas.

Of course, I'm not an accountant, so I may be way off.

~Bill Walsh

Pretty sure state tax is based on you state you live in not the state you work, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if Reyes lives in FL but works in WI he would pay WI state tax, but then receive an offsetting tax credit from FL that would make his tax line up with what he would have paid living and working in FL.
Wisconsin resident plays games in Florida. Pays no state income taxes in Florida for those games, pays state income taxes to Wisconsin for those games. Florida resident plays games in Florida, pays no state income taxes at all.

So I just assume every agent has their player has set up their permanent residence in Florida, Texas, Nevada to save as much as possible on state income taxes.

In your scenario, there is no state income tax in Florida to apply the credit for taxes paid in Wisconsin to.

Major leaguers have probably around 15+ states on their W2 prorating their earnings by the number of games played in that state. They then have to file tax returns in all those states that have taxes and don't have reciprocity agreements.

The difference in housing costs between markets can shave off a big part of savings in income tax, unless a guy just rents a non-luxury apartment, but I sure wouldn't want to live in an apartment for 6 years if I were a millionaire.

I pay no state income taxes in Texas, but my property tax bill is huge and we pay 8.25% sales tax. If you're rich, the lack of an income tax makes a bigger difference than for the rest of us, but it's not as big a split as it seems at first glance.

Archived