Brewer Fanatic

reyes a "almost a done deal" with marlins

prophet

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3.

After my post above, I read that they're looking at increasing their payroll by around $30MM from 2011 to 2012. I don't know anything about their payroll obligations (arby raises, FA's leaving, etc), but $30MM wouldn't be enough for Pujols and Reyes, much less all three.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

After my post above, I read that they're looking at increasing their payroll by around $30MM from 2011 to 2012. I don't know anything about their payroll obligations (arby raises, FA's leaving, etc), but $30MM wouldn't be enough for Pujols and Reyes, much less all three.

I don't know about their payroll obligations, but I do remember this telling item: The Marlins are the ones who were found out a year ago for taking their revenue sharing money and pretty much NOT spending on players to help achieve the competitive balance that revenue sharing was intended to facilitate. MLB wasn't very pleased about that.

P.S. The thread's title is misleading when the article clearly says "almost a done deal."

I don't know about their payroll obligations, but I do remember this telling item: The Marlins are the ones who were found out a year ago for taking their revenue sharing money and pretty much NOT spending on players to help achieve the competitive balance that revenue sharing was intended to facilitate. MLB wasn't very pleased about that.

P.S. The thread's title is misleading when the article clearly says "almost a done deal."

This whole Marlins offering 3 guys screams "marketing ploy". It's to show potential ticket buyers that "we are serious". Pujols isn't going to jump at the first offer. Neither is Reyes. Is it possible the Marlins land a guy. Sure, but to call it a done deal at this point is really stretching it.

This whole Marlins offering 3 guys screams "marketing ploy". It's to show potential ticket buyers that "we are serious". Pujols isn't going to jump at the first offer. Neither is Reyes. Is it possible the Marlins land a guy. Sure, but to call it a done deal at this point is really stretching it.

Agreed. I doubt it's a done deal or it would be 'done' already. They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

Agreed. I doubt it's a done deal or it would be 'done' already. They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

Or Reyes really wants to play in Miami. I agree that it's likely premature to say a deal's nearly done, and all three of the players will likely shop their wares for the best bid, but we don't know what will be the deciding factors in where the players end up. We didn't get Randy Johnson a few years ago because we satisfied some of his requirements, but weren't on the West Coast. Meanwhile, Marcum was happy to come to Milwaukee, because he's from the Midwest. Maybe Reyes has a lot of family in Miami and would jump at the opportunity to play there. Who knows?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

They may end up with Reyes but it won't be before he checks in with all the suitors unless they've completely put up a ridiculous over-market amount of money.

Or Reyes really wants to play in Miami. I agree that it's likely premature to say a deal's nearly done, and all three of the players will likely shop their wares for the best bid, but we don't know what will be the deciding factors in where the players end up. We didn't get Randy Johnson a few years ago because we satisfied some of his requirements, but weren't on the West Coast. Meanwhile, Marcum was happy to come to Milwaukee, because he's from the Midwest. Maybe Reyes has a lot of family in Miami and would jump at the opportunity to play there. Who knows?

~Bill Walsh

Doesn't hurt that there is no state income tax for at least 81 games a year. Using Wisconsin's top tax rate of 7.75%, means that the Brewers would have to pay him at least 3.9% more just to be the same net return for Reyes. $100 million Marlins = $104 million Brewers.

Doesn't hurt that there is no state income tax for at least 81 games a year. Using Wisconsin's top tax rate of 7.75%, means that the Brewers would have to pay him at least 3.9% more just to be the same net return for Reyes. $100 million Marlins = $104 million Brewers.

Pretty sure state tax is based on you state you live in not the state you work, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if Reyes lives in FL but works in WI he would pay WI state tax, but then receive an offsetting tax credit from FL that would make his tax line up with what he would have paid living and working in FL.

Either way, the Brewers would have to pay him a ton of money to sign him. I think Miami is going to throw what ever they have to his way to get him to sign, and I think it wouldn't be in the Brewers best interest to get into that bidding war.

Pretty sure state tax is based on you state you live in not the state you work, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if Reyes lives in FL but works in WI he would pay WI state tax, but then receive an offsetting tax credit from FL that would make his tax line up with what he would have paid living and working in FL.

Either way, the Brewers would have to pay him a ton of money to sign him. I think Miami is going to throw what ever they have to his way to get him to sign, and I think it wouldn't be in the Brewers best interest to get into that bidding war.

I think the taxes are more complicated for "entertainers." Whereas "normal people" can conduct business out-of-state and not have to pay income tax in the non-resident state, states all saw how much money they weren't able to grab as musicians played in-state or visiting teams constituted 1/2 the players on the field, so they created a law where the entertainers have to pay taxes based on income made while in each state. Therefore, when the Yankees come to town, Wisconsin makes more money than they do when any other team visits. If this is indeed the case, then tax-wise it would be beneficial to play as many games as possible in non-state-tax states like Florida and Texas.

Of course, I'm not an accountant, so I may be way off.

~Bill Walsh

I think the taxes are more complicated for "entertainers." Whereas "normal people" can conduct business out-of-state and not have to pay income tax in the non-resident state, states all saw how much money they weren't able to grab as musicians played in-state or visiting teams constituted 1/2 the players on the field, so they created a law where the entertainers have to pay taxes based on income made while in each state. Therefore, when the Yankees come to town, Wisconsin makes more money than they do when any other team visits. If this is indeed the case, then tax-wise it would be beneficial to play as many games as possible in non-state-tax states like Florida and Texas.

Of course, I'm not an accountant, so I may be way off.

~Bill Walsh

Archived