Brewer Fanatic

reyes a "almost a done deal" with marlins

prophet

Yahoo, is reporting this along with Pujols visiting Miami to talk with the fish. Buerle was there a few days ago. If the Marlins get these three, they are contenders with a healthy Josh Johnson and Hanley moving to 3rd. But, would it make Gaby Sanchez available? And if so, what would it take? This question was asked a while ago too, and someone (can't remember who) said "start with Ryan Braun", which is a HUGE underevalutation of Braun. There isn't too many people in the majors worth Braun straight up, and Sanchez isn't one of them. So, seriously, what would it take?

Edited thread title --cc

Yahoo, is reporting this along with Pujols visiting Miami to talk with the fish. Buerle was there a few days ago. If the Marlins get these three, they are contenders with a healthy Josh Johnson and Hanley moving to 3rd. But, would it make Gaby Sanchez available? And if so, what would it take? This question was asked a while ago too, and someone (can't remember who) said "start with Ryan Braun", which is a HUGE underevalutation of Braun. There isn't too many people in the majors worth Braun straight up, and Sanchez isn't one of them. So, seriously, what would it take?

Edited thread title --cc

Why trade anything for a guy who isn't a lock to be better than Gamel? I get that Gamel isn't proven but given Sanchez mediocre numbers for a 1B I'll take my chances with the kid who is cheaper and under control longer who won't cost us any other players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Why trade anything for a guy who isn't a lock to be better than Gamel? I get that Gamel isn't proven but given Sanchez mediocre numbers for a 1B I'll take my chances with the kid who is cheaper and under control longer who won't cost us any other players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Sanchez is 28, with 3 years experience and a career OPS of .786. He should be heading into his first year of arby, so will start getting more expensive. I'm not a big MLE guy, but in another thread, it was listed that Gamel's MLE would put him around a .777 OPS. Now, Sanchez gets on base at a decent clip, and has played in a big park, so he'd probably get a boost from Miller Park, but I'd say the Brewers should shop elsewhere unless the price tag is really cheap. Sanchez would be safer than Gamel, but I wouldn't think it's worth trading for a 1B unless it would be a slam dunk upgrade over Gamel.

Anyone who said the price would "start with Ryan Braun" is way off. An MVP-caliber player for an average-hitting 1B doesn't really seem quite fair. If we needed the salary room, and Florida would pick up Hart's whole salary, then a Hart-for-Sanchez trade might be fair. Hart's a better hitter, but costs more. That would weaken the Brewers, cause Gamel to play out of place in RF and I doubt the Marlins would take the whole salary on, so I wouldn't do that trade unless we needed the money for a serious upgrade elsewhere. Actually, Gamel for Sanchez would probably be a fair trade, as Sanchez is "MLB proven," while Gamel has more team control.

As far as the rest of your post, it would be amazing if the Marlins landed Pujols, Reyes and Buehrle. That's a Yankee-esque offseason FA haul, and would certainly help fill the new stadium.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Sanchez is 28, with 3 years experience and a career OPS of .786. He should be heading into his first year of arby, so will start getting more expensive. I'm not a big MLE guy, but in another thread, it was listed that Gamel's MLE would put him around a .777 OPS. Now, Sanchez gets on base at a decent clip, and has played in a big park, so he'd probably get a boost from Miller Park, but I'd say the Brewers should shop elsewhere unless the price tag is really cheap. Sanchez would be safer than Gamel, but I wouldn't think it's worth trading for a 1B unless it would be a slam dunk upgrade over Gamel.

Anyone who said the price would "start with Ryan Braun" is way off. An MVP-caliber player for an average-hitting 1B doesn't really seem quite fair. If we needed the salary room, and Florida would pick up Hart's whole salary, then a Hart-for-Sanchez trade might be fair. Hart's a better hitter, but costs more. That would weaken the Brewers, cause Gamel to play out of place in RF and I doubt the Marlins would take the whole salary on, so I wouldn't do that trade unless we needed the money for a serious upgrade elsewhere. Actually, Gamel for Sanchez would probably be a fair trade, as Sanchez is "MLB proven," while Gamel has more team control.

As far as the rest of your post, it would be amazing if the Marlins landed Pujols, Reyes and Buehrle. That's a Yankee-esque offseason FA haul, and would certainly help fill the new stadium.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Pujols signs quickly with Miami, does that make St. Louis the #1 suitor for Fielder?

No. They would just move Berkman to 1B and then have an OF of Holliday, Jay, and Craig which would actually improve the teams overall defense as funny as that may sound but it is the truth.

If Pujols signs quickly with Miami, does that make St. Louis the #1 suitor for Fielder?

No. They would just move Berkman to 1B and then have an OF of Holliday, Jay, and Craig which would actually improve the teams overall defense as funny as that may sound but it is the truth.

I made a comparison last month that a proposed trade offer on Hanley Ramirez in the Transactions forum was akin to a Marlins fan offering Gaby Sanchez for Ryan Braun. That's the only time I can think of anyone saying anything about Sanchez-Braun, & I certainly wasn't saying anything about seriously trading Braun for him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I made a comparison last month that a proposed trade offer on Hanley Ramirez in the Transactions forum was akin to a Marlins fan offering Gaby Sanchez for Ryan Braun. That's the only time I can think of anyone saying anything about Sanchez-Braun, & I certainly wasn't saying anything about seriously trading Braun for him.

Fwiw, here is the text from said Yahoo article --

What was previously known: that New York Mets free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes has visited the Marlins, and toured the nearly completed ballpark. Further, reporter Jorge Sedano of 790-AM The Ticket says a source tells him that Reyes and Marlins are "almost a done deal."

Fwiw, here is the text from said Yahoo article --

What was previously known: that New York Mets free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes has visited the Marlins, and toured the nearly completed ballpark. Further, reporter Jorge Sedano of 790-AM The Ticket says a source tells him that Reyes and Marlins are "almost a done deal."

As much as I would love to see Reyes at SS for the Crew next year, I know that we'd end up over spending for him.

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3. That would be quite an off season. Hard to imagine pulling that off.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

As much as I would love to see Reyes at SS for the Crew next year, I know that we'd end up over spending for him.

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3. That would be quite an off season. Hard to imagine pulling that off.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I am not sold on the idea of MIA getting all 3.

After my post above, I read that they're looking at increasing their payroll by around $30MM from 2011 to 2012. I don't know anything about their payroll obligations (arby raises, FA's leaving, etc), but $30MM wouldn't be enough for Pujols and Reyes, much less all three.

~Bill Walsh

Archived