Brewer Fanatic

another IF upgrade option: Hanley Ramirez

It's hard to know what the Brewers are going to be able to do at SS without knowing what their budget will be.

Option 1:
Get Reyes. Price: 1 draft pick, $125 million (higher price to get him here)

This option is being discussed elsewhere. My opinion is that Reyes will not be worth the money he signs for.

Option 2:
Get Barmes. Price: $6 million (higher price to get him here)

This damages our offense but shores up our defense. There remains some flexibility for other upgrades. There will need to be offensive upgrades elsewhere, or else Green and Gamel will be relied upon heavily. I think this is the whack-a-mole solution to the 2011 season, and it doesn't move the team forward enough on its own.

Option 3:
Keep Betancourt. Price: $4 million. This is the don't-whack-a-mole solution. It is a money saver, but it's not going to make the Brewers any money in the short or long run. That extra $2 million would need to go to a true difference maker somewhere.

Option 4:
Trade for Ramirez. Price: $46 million remaining on his contract + trade: At his peak, beyond anything we could offer. Now, given his injury, his 2011 performance, and his marginalization on his current team, Greinke or at least 2 of Weeks, Marcum, Wolf, Peralta + high-level throw-ins (Narveson?) would be generous to the Marlins. At this price, maybe even Logan Morrison or Gaby Sanchez could come our way, too.

Ramirez, once healthy, more than makes up for the loss of Fielder for offense. It leaves us with other problems including continued low-average defense at SS. But would the holes created by the trade be bigger than they would be after dumping salary to afford Reyes? Not necessarily. The commitment would be dozens of millions of dollars less for a (more) talented and younger player.

Option 5:
Do both of # 2 and # 4. Put Ramirez at 3B. Assuming Weeks is part of the package, our offense looks like this:

Hart
Morgan
Braun
Ramirez
Gamel
Hairston
Green
Barmes
Lucroy
P

(1B/OF, Gomez, Gindl, Maldonado, backup SS/3B/2B)

If Weeks stays somehow - say we lose Greinke:

Hart
Morgan
Braun
Ramirez
Weeks
Gamel
Barmes
Lucroy
P

(Gomez, Kotsay-type, McGehee, Hairston, Maldonado)

Hanley was worse than Yuni last year. I'm not sure if I would take him for 'free' with that contract.

i would. with his up side and past performance, there is no reason not to believe that last year wasnt just an off-year.

Yeah, I'd gladly take Hanley, he's one of the premier superstars in the game, but I sure as hell wouldn't give up Weeks+ anything for him.

And the Marlins are looking to completely revamp their franchise. I don't see how trading the face of the franchise would help that. I think they're looking to spend upwards of 90 million. They're not eager to dump payroll, and I'm not eager to give up a guy like Weeks, much less Weeks+Peralta+a high level throw in. That just seems like an awful idea to me.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If it was possible to go with a -0% chance of the Marlins trading Ramirez, I'd go with that. This is not old sell off Florida Marlins. This is we want to spend Miami Marlins. Ozzie would mostly up a quite if they traded him as well. Those two were made for each other. What would the point be of the Marlins try to bring in Reyes, Prince that Cuban OF (Cederes?) just to go out and trade the franchise player? Best way not to sell tickets or make a splash with the team? Trade off your franchise

Archived