Brewer Fanatic

Time to Make the "Braddock" Change

YoungGeezy

I remember a few years ago when everyone was split, should Baddock be a starter or reliever. He had the electric stuff to cause havoc in only one inning of work but he also had been a very good starter. He had a major injury plus some smaller ones (not to forget his bipolar issue when it got bad in AA and had to miss time) and the Brewers decided, Zach your are now a relief pitcher. Don't want the wear and tear of starting and you got great stuff to be very successful out of the pen.

Now I consider Mark Rogers to be in a similar position as Braddock. Watching him pitch in September 2010 got me super excited. He throws gas, outstanding breaking ball, and is overall very gifted however he just cannot stay healthy. Rogers has really become a forgotten man since the horrible start, then injury, and then the surgries this past season. I really feel the Brewers NEED to make the move. His body has really not shown that he is a guy who can physically handle eatting innings without falling apart. As of right now with the rise of Peralta, it doesn't appear he really has a future spot in the rotation. Why have him stay a starter? Is there any reason at all to continue to waste what he can offer? I really feel he can be an awesome back end guy and we could use that. Let him go out there, throw 96-100 and drop those curves in there (his change up isn't all to bad as well) for an inning.

He is not getting any younger. It's not like most people right away labeled him as a future back end reliever and the Brewers future closer. I don't get why they feel they need to keep him a starter. Is it just me or am I alone in feeling he MUST be moved to the pen. If they do this I really think he can fight for an opening day job (as long as he is 100% by ST) I keep going over the roster and what I think they should do, sign, trade, & etc like everyone else and this has really fustrated me.

I thought that Rogers was on the suspended list and is out of options/can become a minor league free agent when he gets removed and not stashed back on the 40 man. I'm assuming he gets one more camp to show his wares and stay healthy. Pretty much do or die for him at this point.

I forget about the suspension however he only has 8 games remaining (the 17 to end last counted even though he was injuried) I also didn't realized he burned his final option and don't see him being rewarded the raw 4th yr. This is even more reason why they should not waste a minute of time as a starter. Let alone with him having no options, no way he can be stretched out coming off injury.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like the idea of Rogers being a relief pitcher. At least for now. Bring him in to camp and say, "Mark, you've got 2 pitches. That's all you need to focus on." Then just get him into a groove of throwing gas for 20-25 pitches, then punch out. See how that works for him.

I love this idea too. I'm excited to see what the Brewers can get from Rogers, Kintzler, Braddock, Fiers, Peralta, & Parra in 2012. There's a good chance they'll either have a lot of depth, or won't need to spend much money on the bullpen. I'd like to see both Saito & Hawkins retained if they want to come back, though.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Heck, you can even bring Rogers along slowly. Put him on a rigid schedule - not a bad idea with a guy with his injury issues. Pitch him every third game for one inning. That's 54 games. 54 innings. It's not like you're asking for 100 innings out of the guy. Let him come in and just unload for 20 pitches or whatever.

I know in the past the team has said things along the lines that starting was easier on him because it allowed a more structured schedule. I don't want to baby the guy too much, but even 50-60 innings of a good reliever offers some value. Better than him just sitting on the IR. And as the season goes along, maybe he gets comfortable in the role and you can pitch him in different situations (assuming he's doing well).

Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought Rogers to the pen was a foregone conclusion after his recent injuries this year and there wasn't any debate about it. I didn't realize there was still a plan to keep him as a starter.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I didn't realize there was still a plan to keep him as a starter.

He was starting in the minors (when not injured) before he got suspended.

I would agree that you break him in at the MLB level in the BP. Give him a couple years of 50-60 innings and if he does that well, he can have a chance to go back to starting (kind of like the Twins did with Santana). If he still has some injury issues, then you just keep him there.

Mark will have a stand out year in 2012. I'm guessing a late April-early May call-up. I'm hearing talk he's feeling the best he has in years post surgery. I've had this debate with another Brewers fan of mine and I firmly believe that he will do great in 2012. Yes he lost a few years with injuries and that is behind him now with this past surgery...and because of that.. he doesn't have thousands of bull pen and game pitches under him. His arm is not worn out like so many are at his age. He's older, smarter and stronger. I'm just feeling look out 2012..!

Until Mark consistently throws strikes, it really doesn't matter what his role is. Add the inability to stay healthy, and you really have a double whammy. It's too bad, but right now if you are the Brewers you can't count on this guy. I hope he can put it together, but i'm not holding my breath either.

All that being said, Braddock is a good comparison. Both of them have the raw physical talent to make GM and fan drool.

I'd like to see them treat Mark like a rule 5 guy. He can be the last man in the pen. The long man. At least until we figure out what we have in him. I contend his arm is still way to electric to let walk away. IF, and yes this is a huge if, he can return to form as a starter (maybe after healthy year in the pen where he pitches multiple innings at a time), he would be a huge addition to the club.

I'm guessing a late April-early May call-up.

Mark has no options left. So after finishing his suspension, he would need to be on the 25-man or waived.

or be placed on the major league disabled list (if he has a qualifying injury). but he does enter 2012 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

if all the brewers pitchers are healthy out of spring training, i recommend the brewers create an amazon gift registry for mark rogers with nothing but salad tongs on it.

What good would that do? Mark needs to pitch in games. Being on IR (again) doesn't really help him. And the Brewers have never done a "fake" injury rehab to my knowledge.

He will have all ST (prior to his final suspension games) to prove to the Brewers if he can make it in the BP or not.

What good would that do? Mark needs to pitch in games.
a minor league rehab assignment after a salad tongs injury would allow mark rogers to get work in on back-to-back days (and in conditions cooler than arizona), whereas at the major league level, that kind of workload might be difficult to slot.

if he excels during his rehab, one has to feel better about putting him out there in the big leagues.

i'm also going on the assumption that another brewers pitcher would become injured by the time the salad tongs injury is healed. convenient transaction.

djoctagone, why would they want Rogers in cooler conditions than Arizona? April is the nicest month of the year here with temps in the 70s, touching the 80s.

The Brewers will not do a fake injury...MLB goes after teams for that. Also, can't he be outrighted off the 40-man roster once without needing to pass through waivers? If so, that's an option

in late april/early may, i'd feel better getting mark rogers off a sharp triple-a rehab assignment where he pitched consecutive days in cooler conditions, because that experience would be valuable in st. louis and san francisco--two ballparks where the temps can be low in late april/early may.

If they don't want him to pitch in St. Louis or SF, they could just use someone else. The BP is normally pretty loaded early in the season due to many early days off. Nor does it make much sense to pitch in cooler conditions to get used to pitching in cooler conditions. The only real difference is making sure you warm up really well so you don't hurt anything. Giving more chances for MR to hurt himself by forcing him to pitch in cooler weather just doesn't make sense to me.

The reality of the situation is that MR will have all of spring training to make the roster, then 8 (?) days left on his suspension. He will make it or not based on ST.

Doug Melvin told Adam McCalvy that Rogers & Scarpetta were awarded 4th option years.

That would be great if Rogers can have an extra year in the minors. Assuming he's healthy, I'd let him start games in Nashville.

Reports I'm getting on Rogers.. He's throwing better then he ever has.

Rogers has always had an amazing arm. His success starts and ends with his control. When he started those few games in Milwaukee in 2010, he didn't walk all that many hitters. If he can limit the walks, I have all the confidence in the world that he can have success in Milwaukee. Remember, he was considered by many to be Milwaukee's top prospect heading into the 2011 season. Right now, he's mostly a cast off. If he can bounce back starting in Nashville this season it would be HUGE for Milwaukee. He'll be one of the prospects, along with Peralta, Thornburg, Jungmann and Bradley, that I'll be most excited to follow next year.

Archived