Brewer Fanatic

Willie Bloomquist re-signs with AZ - 2 years / $3.8 million

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Willie Bloomquist has re-signed with Arizona. 2 years for a total of $3.8 million.

This deal affects the Brewers indirectly as Bloomquist is not unlike Jerry Hairston Jr. - at least with the bat. JHJ is a better fielder. If we want to re-sign JHJ, we probably will need to pony up $2 million a year - perhaps for two years. I'd be okay with JHJ for 2 years / $4 million. It would solidify the back up infielder position for a couple of years.

http://scott-miller.blogs...s/entry/6270335/33204585

JerHairJr for 2 years at 2 mil per year sounds like a great deal to me. I could see him getting 3 per year, actually. I hope we're able to resign him, as he adds a lot of depth to the team in case of injury or if Taylor Green (or Casey McGehee) are terrible.

Jerry has made a good name for himself in recent years. I bet the main factors will be length of contract and best chances for playing. He may be content to start the season with a bad team if it looks like he could play most days. The trend has been to flip him to a contender at the deadline. It's not a bad gig; he gets to play a lot early, then winds up with a contender looking to fill an important need.

I guess what I'm saying is, Milwaukee may need Hairston more than he needs Milwaukee. He could still wind up back here if they are in contention.

I agree, he may leave because he knows he'll be a backup plan in Milwaukee... which is why we may need to shell out a little more dough to keep him. I'd be up for that, within reason. Having him to fill in at 3B, SS, 2B, or CF is very valuable.

Archived